Talking Whistler Bound: 3/13-3/19

So, after resigning myself to skiing on the east coast this winter, I got a last minute invite to go out to Whistler with a friend next week, and, of course, jumped at the the chance to go. So, hopefully there are a few mags around who won't mind showing us some cool terrain at W/B if we manage to meet up with ya. Also, any apres suggestions for two 18 year olds who can grow pretty respectable beards?
    Last edited by glademaster; 03-04-2007 at 11:02 PM.

I suggest a fake ID, and 2 pieces if you are looking to get in anywhere. I've been doing that whole underaged thing for the past 3 years, and you need ID. Beards will help.. but it depends on what you're looking for, bars or clubs? Cittas, Amsterdam, the GLC, Longhorn, Crystal Lounge and Dusty's are all great apres bars. As for clubs, it depends on the night. Tommys is good Mon, Savage Beagle Tue, Bills, Moe Joes or Maxx Fish wed, Garfs Thursdays, and then whatever on the weekend.

As for skiing, there are quite a few people from Whis or surrounding local areas on these boards. What were you looking to ski? And Ability levels? Glades, Hucks, Park, Touring?

I'm 17 and I managed the Crystal Lounge sans a fake or a beard for a couple hours without any trouble. I hear garfenkels is also pretty sweet. Two pieces of ID is correct so just make yourself a fake AAA card or something with your fake ID name. Weed can be found in spades in front of the liquor store...Try to find the hippy guy who plays various clubs and covers a shitload of songs. He's great

For the Longhorn, go through the side entrance at the back where there are no bouncers, it worked once for me during the Ski and get Shitfaced Festival.
    You only need one piece of government issued ID (fake citizenship cards are easiest to make if you have access to a laminator), the second one doesn't need to have a birthdate on it. If you go with older people you might be able to sneak in to a pub too, it worked for me at Black's.
    Have fun, make sure you pre-drink a lot before if you don't wanna blow 100 bucks a night.

when i was underage i would just go to the bars way way early. Go like 8 and play pool. also walking the in exit also used to work.

*I do not condone underage drinking*

For apres, it hasn't ever been a problem for me at most bars. Just have to keep your head on you and be sneaky when required. If you are looking for something later ie club or bar, it will be much tougher. Some places are known to be easier to get into, some are very hard, even with two pieces. Going as a big group definately helps, as does going early. It seemed to me that every night something is happening at a different bar where its the place to be for that night. The wait will be longer for these places, and tighter entry, but worth it if you can get in.

isn't the drinking age in Canada 18?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

18 in some provinces, 19 in others, it happens to be 19 in B.C. Thanks for the tips, we're after more of the apres and bar scene than the club one, so hopefully we can wing it without ID's, we both look a lot older than we are, and manage to get served on a semi-regular basis in the U.S. We'll be sure to check out the liquor store scene too, cuz we want our skiing experience to be good and safe.

As far as skiing is concerned, I'm a pretty solid skier, although I don't rip nearly as hard as some people on the board. I'm game for skiing pretty much anything as long as it doesn't involve serious exposure, also, I'd love to ski some pillow lines and well spaced trees (I love tree skiing but super tight trees just suck). I'm somewhat familiar with Whistler, cuz I did an Extremely Canadian clinic the last time I was out there, but given the general hugeness, I've barely scratched the surface. My friend is a boarder and can get down almost anything, albeit not in the most stylish manner. So if any mags wanna get together and show us around, or at least point us in the direction of some fun stuff, feel free to PM me your cell number.
    Last edited by glademaster; 03-05-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Bump, anyone wanna ski with us? We'll supply safety meeting supplies and/or apres drinks, whichever works better for you. We just wanna get the most out of W/B while still being smart about where to go and what limits to push.

Former Whistler resident, I'll be up there skiing starting the 17th. If you're still looking for a wing man around then, drop me a PM.
    Turning is for when things get in your way ||

H4B, might take you up on that, the more maggots met the merrier. Anyone else gonna be around?

I'll be there from the 11th through the 17th. Not a local, but know the area pretty well. Definitely oriented more toward pow than air.
    It's hard to wag your tail when it is tucked between your legs.

Sounds great BB, we don't mind hucking pillows, but as a general rule, we'd rather ski than huck (although under certain circumstances, that isn't totally true). I'll drop ya a PM with my digits sometime soon.

With any luck I will be driving Huck up there from Seattle on Friday. I got room for one or two more if anyone else from sea-town wants to head up. I think I am going to either sleep in my car or pitch a tent in the RV parking lot up there unless someone has a floor. Also the crystal lounge is the place to be, it has way fewer gaper tourists than most places around, and cheaper drinks, though I am of age and look it I have never been carded there either.
    Peter

Anyone else gonna be around? Looks the high alpine made it through the fruitiness yesterday in decent shape. Is the standard meeting place the Roundhouse or Rendezvous lightboards at 10:00am?

Yeah, pretty much.. unless its a pow day, in that case every man for himself til 2pm+