Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mammoth during summit

i'll be there tues (3/9) through friday.

dunno if anyone was gonna go down for a few days (i think endless said something about it), but let me know saturday night.
    fine

Thumbs up

I'm gonna try to get down there at some point.

I'm thinking I might ski there Wednesday, to break up the drive back to LA. (Leave Tahoe, early morning, ski Mammoth, then drive the rest of the way down)

I'll be in Mammoth the 4th through the 7th and every weekend in March. I'm tempted to drive up to Kirkwood and meet the people who have made me laugh and sometimes even spit coffee on my screen.

Sheebz and I are there.
    3/5
    3/9
    3/10
    3/11
    3/12
    3/13
    3/14
    etc, etc, etc...

Our numbers are on Tyrone's summit list.

Re: mammoth during summit

Originally posted by tuffy109
    i'll be there tues (3/9) through friday.

dunno if anyone was gonna go down for a few days (i think endless said something about it), but let me know saturday night.
    headed up 3/9, ski mammoth 3/10, then off to Tahoe that afternoon
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

I've been thinking about dropping down to Mammoth for a day or two as well. I might be looking more at some bc, but my plans are completely unformed as of yet.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Re: Re: mammoth during summit

Originally posted by Joey Bag O' Donuts
    headed up 3/9, ski mammoth 3/10, then off to Tahoe that afternoon
    word booty. i'll call you
    fine

I'll be at mammoth with my girlfriend from the 15th to the 19th. not really during the summit though so...

I could very easily be talked into a day over there. Are you going to the party at the Summit on Saturday? Seek me out and let's talk!
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    Are you going to the party at the Summit on Saturday?
    i think i might make an appearance
    fine

Re: mammoth during summit

Originally posted by tuffy109
    i....but let me know saturday night.
    GODDAMN I have a short attention span!

My site

One cheap and easy way to sneak a day in at Mammoth from Tahoe is to say ski Kirkwood on a given midweek day then afterwards drive east on SR88 to Gardnerville then south on US395. Get a cheap motel in Walker, Bridgeport, or Lee Vining where the weekday going prices are trucker rates. Get up early in the morning and drive the rest of the way south to Mammoth. Ski MM that day then afterward drive back north to Gardnerville which is about 2 1/2 hours or even cheaper lodging in Carson City another 15 minues. Next morning one can easily reach any of the Tahoe resorts. Note almost all lodging in Mammoth is expensive and the way expensive lift ticket cannot be discounted. On the positive side, the snow pack is peaking right now big time and the current big wind has probably made some sweet wind buff. -dave

Originally posted by SSSdave
    One cheap and easy way to sneak a day in at Mammoth from Tahoe...
    Isn't it just a couple of hours away from South Lake? We were just planning to drive there and back on Thursday. Heck, we often drove 7 or 8 hours per day during last year's Summit. We're ready to do it again if necessary.

BTW, the official schedule is still Kirkwood on Sat and Squaw on Sun, is it not? I've heard Kirkwood is super crowded on Saturdays lately. I'm wondering if it might not be better for the three of us in our little group to do Kirkwood on Friday and Sierra on Sat? Which of the Kirkwood days will likely have more maggots?
    Anyone?

A crowded day at the weed is a two minute wait. Although the sun often brings the hordes out of the valley. Doesn't really affect maggots much, though. There aren't all that many people skiing the good lines on the fringes. And it'll be wide open this week.

Originally posted by Endlessseason
    Isn't it just a couple of hours away from South Lake? We were just planning to drive there and back on Thursday. Heck, we often drove 7 or 8 hours per day during last year's Summit. We're ready to do it again if necessary.

BTW, the official schedule is still Kirkwood on Sat and Squaw on Sun, is it not? I've heard Kirkwood is super crowded on Saturdays lately. I'm wondering if it might not be better for the three of us in our little group to do Kirkwood on Friday and Sierra on Sat? Which of the Kirkwood days will likely have more maggots?
    Anyone?

Splat--
    I hope that's still the case for the Summit. I waited more than ten minutes a few times the last time I was there. I think it was a weekend but I can't remember. So do you think Sat will be the biggest Maggot day for the Weed?

Originally posted by yogachik
    I'll be in Mammoth the 4th through the 7th and every weekend in March. I'm tempted to drive up to Kirkwood and meet the people who have made me laugh and sometimes even spit coffee on my screen.
    I strongly suggest it. Beyond having some funny crap to say, most of us (myself excluded) can rip it the hell up! In addition, I've yet to meet an unpleasant person through the Maggothood. In fact, I've encountered an aweful lot of very, very great people.

I first met some maggots about 2 years ago. They definately inspired me to bring my skiing to the next level. I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I've got the attitude now.

Just do it. I guarentee you won't be disappointed.

My site

Anyone?

which weekend are you talking about? today, is Alpine meadows, tomorrow sat is squaw and sunday is kirkwood. i don't know what is up for next weekend.

even when the parking lot is full at kirkwood, it is rare to wait for more than a couple minutes in line at the wood and as splat said, where we ski is usually pretty empty.

Originally posted by Ubersheist
    I strongly suggest it. Beyond having some funny crap to say, most of us (myself excluded) can rip it the hell up! In addition, I've yet to meet an unpleasant person through the Maggothood. In fact, I've encountered an aweful lot of very, very great people.
    I'll have to meet you guys another time (drag), I was designated driver this weekend so have a load full of friends with me - I can't bail on them. If anyone's in Mammoth, PM me.

Splat--
    I hope that's still the case for the Summit. I waited more than ten minutes a few times the last time I was there. I think it was a weekend but I can't remember. So do you think Sat will be the biggest Maggot day for the Weed?
    40-50 people slated for Saturday 3/13 at the Weed. Hit Mammoth mid-week if you can.

Now where's that Punk from Mammoth marketing?

Talking

OK. It looks like I had it all screwed up on Sat and Sun because I was looking at a different itinerary. I think I've got it right: Kirkwood on Sat the 13th, Squaw on the 14th. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME IF I'VE GOT IT RIGHT NOW?? In addition, our little group will be doing Mammoth on Thursday the 11th.

P.S. I'm starting a new thread for a subgroup jaunt to Homewood.
    Last edited by Endlessseason; 03-05-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Nightpanda and LPH-- Sierra is still Friday for us, with Geoff showing us around. You're more than welcome to join us.

Originally posted by yogachik
    I was designated driver this weekend so have a load full of friends with me - I can't bail on them.
    Bring 'em with ya! Seriously... they'd have a blast, too.

[B]Mammoth on Thursday the 11th
    So that looks like the day... I'll try to be there. However, I am only one portion of our group and must harass the rest until they believe that driving down there will be a good idea or they cave in...whichever comes first.

Any thoughts to a meet time/place (like, say at bottom of Chair 1 aka Broadway Express by the Main Lodge at 9:30 or something like that)?

My site

Definitely check out Mammoth. Great area. I have had a blast there this year and used to frequent the Tahoe region. Mammoth is higher elevation so the snow stays better a bit longer which could be useful this week.

Meet at the trail map sign outside Hut II. Best meeting spot on Mammy.

Homeywood is fun when its dumping, is a small mountain with a cool vibe. Don't know that I would want to spend a full day there if it wasn't dumping as it is small and rather flatish. Good vibe though.
    He who has the most fun wins!