Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The baseball thread.

Its back, and I have a MLB.tv subscription, oh YEA! Go Sox!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

the mets are going to kick some ass this year.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    the mets are going to kick some ass this year.
    I would love to agree with you but the pitching is going to be a real problem. They should have paid up to get Zito. As of right now there is no ace on the staff, I guess you could say they have three quality number three starters. Heres to hoping they can out slug everyone in the NL East

Yeah, they better hit a lot. When's Martinez due back, July? Sometimes the best re-signings are the ones you don't make- as much as we all loved Petey, I'm glad we're not on the hook for his contract in '07 and '08.

Phillies wins > mets wins.
    Howard/Utley '08

Season tickets arrive this week.
    27th World Series Championship.

That is all.

Zito?? Mets didn't need him. You got 4 young guys 25 and younger that, although not entirely proven, have incredible potential. And should one of those guys falter, you have Heilman (who should be in the rotation already) with his 1.15 WHIP and sub .230 BAA. Just like last year, get 6-7 strong innings from the starters and leave the rest up to the bullpen. With the signing of Burgos, the pressure off Wagner should be relieved.

Phillies will be an 88-win team, at least Vegas thinks so. But they'll still be 10 games behind the Mets - no question. Their pitching is entirely questionable with Hamels being the only bright spot. Get a close game with Freddy Garcia pitching and you're looking at a nice .361 BAA. Fun.

Mets are effectively the same team as last year, with more speed, and one less dead bat in the lineup. Fact is they were one game away from the World Series with a two-man rotation.

And I'll be in Section 33 of the mezz right by the bullpen every Sunday home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Zito?? Mets didn't need him. You got 4 young guys 25 and younger that, although not entirely proven, have incredible potential. And should one of those guys falter, you have Heilman (who should be in the rotation already) with his 1.15 WHIP and sub .230 BAA. Just like last year, get 6-7 strong innings from the starters and leave the rest up to the bullpen. With the signing of Burgos, the pressure off Wagner should be relieved.

And I'll be in Section 33 of the mezz right by the bullpen every Sunday home game.

As much as I hope your right I think its more likely you are going to get 5-6 innings out of the starters and that is going to wear on the bullpen over 162 games. The Mets will win the NL East hands down, but they don't have the pitching to win in the playoffs. In those short series you need pitching more than anythig else, look at the late 1990's Yankees as an example. I will be very surprised if they have a 15+ game winner on the staff this year.

If you can't make it to any of the Sunday games or have an extra seat be sure to keep me at the top of your list.

"Baseball - at least it's not as boring as Cricket"
    Elvis has left the building

Got my MLB subscription yesterday! Go Brewers!

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    "Baseball - at least it's not as boring as Cricket"
    You never played did you? There is so much more going on in a baseball game that 95% of people will never figure out while watching on tv or in person. I think its safe to say the mental aspect of the game surpasses that of almost every other sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing Sock View Post
    I think its safe to say the mental aspect of the game surpasses that of almost every other sport.

Surely, you jest!

Go Rockies...take the Nuggets with you. Boy are they gonna suck this year.
    I predict the cellar for them once again.
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

As much as I hope your right I think its more likely you are going to get 5-6 innings out of the starters and that is going to wear on the bullpen over 162 games. The Mets will win the NL East hands down, but they don't have the pitching to win in the playoffs. In those short series you need pitching more than anythig else, look at the late 1990's Yankees as an example. I will be very surprised if they have a 15+ game winner on the staff this year.

If you can't make it to any of the Sunday games or have an extra seat be sure to keep me at the top of your list.
    They supposedly didn't have pitching to win the playoffs last year and look what happened. They got rid of the biggest dud in Traschel and will finally see what their young guys have.

Always remember...in Omar we trust. And should any starter not appear to get the job done, expect his ass gone. Omar isn't slow to let guys go for not performing (Lima time is a prime example).

And you're like #37 in line for Sundays' tickets.

I think its safe to say the mental aspect of the game surpasses that of almost every other sport.
    Thats funny.

Yes, I did play, and yes it is boring. I modify my earlier statement - Cricket is more fun to play.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Thats funny.

Yes, I did play, and yes it is boring. I modify my earlier statement - Cricket is more fun to play.
    When I said play I didn't mean pick daisies in right field when you were ten. Where is Smokken to back me up

Did you have some examples?
    Last edited by Missing Sock; 03-01-2007 at 09:35 AM.

Its pretty safe to say that the mental aspect of baseball does not surpass that of other sports.

Okay, so you have to be heads up baserunning, watching your 1-3 bag coaches, watching the outs, knowing where the throws go and all. But come on, baseball? Not likely...

Everyone knows that Pro Badminton has institutionalized players because its too mentally strenuous...
    Bush got C's.... Obama probably failed lunch

I agree with Missing Sock, if you can look past just the throwing and running and hitting and get into the mental struggles on each pitch, baseball surpasses many other sports mentally. Football is up there too. Basketball though? Nope. Hockey? Nope. All about skill. Not to say baseball players are smarter or anything, but the game as a whole.

And Nick- the Mets DUD was Pedro. Not Trachsel. How can someone, who everyone knows sucks, be a dud? Petey broke down and wasnt worth the money in the first year...Im glad the Sox didnt resign him. That contract will suck this year and next. And the one after.
    Heilmann is a great pitcher, but he is great as a reliever- once you put him into the starting rotation, it doesnt mean he is going to do the 1.15 WHIP or even be good. He could just as easily suck as a starter. The Mets pitching will be lucky to get 6 innings from any of their starters (Maine is their best shot) as even when Petey comes back, hes old now...so is Glavine. Heilmann cant pitch the 7th and 8th every day.
    That said theyre still better than the everunderachieving Phillies.
    Decisions Decisions

at least we can all wallow in misery when the braves win 104 games and begin another streak of 13 straight titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    And Nick- the Mets DUD was Pedro. Not Trachsel. How can someone, who everyone knows sucks, be a dud? Petey broke down and wasnt worth the money in the first year...Im glad the Sox didnt resign him. That contract will suck this year and next. And the one after.
    Heilmann is a great pitcher, but he is great as a reliever- once you put him into the starting rotation, it doesnt mean he is going to do the 1.15 WHIP or even be good. He could just as easily suck as a starter. The Mets pitching will be lucky to get 6 innings from any of their starters (Maine is their best shot) as even when Petey comes back, hes old now...so is Glavine. Heilmann cant pitch the 7th and 8th every day.
    That said theyre still better than the everunderachieving Phillies.
    Nick P's thesaurus:
    Dud = horseshit fucktwad with no winning drive that was a waste of roster space and a guaranteed loss because his finger hurts

Re Heilman: he's been a proven starter when in the rotation for more than 3 starts. The kid can pitch. Also, Burgos baby. 100 mph of raw speed just drooling to get worked on by Peterson. And let us not forget that fluke Mota. Wondering what will happen when you take away the roids.

glad to hear you guys did the mlb.tv sub - love to hear what you think of the product once we get into the season.

Where the hell did you come from??
    [quote][//quote]

You never played did you? There is so much more going on in a baseball game that 95% of people will never figure out while watching on tv or in person. I think its safe to say the mental aspect of the game surpasses that of almost every other sport.
    I see that you've never picked up a golf club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    Where the hell did you come from??
    No shit....whatup Snorkel!

mlb has been keeping me locked in my office to make sure mlb.tv works for all of you this season. havent been getting out much, nor spending much time posting on internet message boards

how are you guys? kids doing well dex?

Yeah, they're doing well. Had to take the older one to the ER last night with a high fever, but it seems to be a normal viral thing. Lots of fun.
    Maybe you'll find your way uptown one of these days, or I'll be downtown and find that you actually still exist.
    [quote][//quote]