Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snowy Torrents of TGR

First off, I am going to need everyones help.
    I know there are a lot of First hand reports of slides, close calls, critical decision making in TRs, etc etc etc, but I for sure dont remember all of them.
    I know I have read a good bit of them, so Ill try to search and dig them up, but to make this thread really worthwhile, I am going to need your help locating them.

Id say lets try to keep everything linked here to first hand accounts of either those that were involved in the incident\decision\close call or those that did the investigation or rescue.

Alaska
    Turnagain Arm, Feb 22, 2007 No one caught in slide
    Mt Vista, April 15, 2006 2 Skiers Caught and Partially Buried
    Tincan, Kenai Mountains, Alaska, Dec 2004 1 Skier Triggered, Caught & unburied

Canadian Rockies
    Chinaman's Peak, Alberta, April 2005 1 Skier Caught and Injured

California
    Tahoe Backcountry, Feb 15, 2007 Small Skier Triggered, no one involved.
    Mt. Dana Backcountry, May 23 2005 1 Skier triggered, caught & carried off terrain feature - unburied but injured.

Colorado
    Piney Bristles Ridge, Near the Eiseman Hut, Vail, CO, Jan 16 2009. Three snowboarders caught, 2 fully buried, 1 partially buried, no one injured
    Lovers Leap, Vail, CO, Dec 14, 2008. 1 skier caught, partially buried, and not injured.
    Silverton, Adjacent OB Terrain, March 9, 2007 1 Skier Caught
    Marvins, East Vail, Jan 9, 2007 1 Skier Triggered, Caught, but not carried.
    Radio Beacon Peak, Feb 2, 2005 Skier Triggered, 1 Dog Buried
    Berthoud Pass Rescue, Nov 2005 1 Skier Killed w\o Transeiver
    Quandry, Dec 2, 2004 1 Skier Triggered, Caught, & 1 Dog Buried
    Bear Creek San Miguel CO, March 3, 2003 Recovery of a snowmobiler buried without a transceiver, some basic first aid discussion, avy dog

Montana
    Mt Edith, Feb 19, 2007 3 Snowmobilers caught in slide, 2 buried & killed

PNW
    Baker, Nov 8, 2005 Successful rescue of a deep buried victim
    Decker Mountain, Blackcomb Backcountry, March 2002 1 Backcountry skier caught, uninjured

Utah
    Box Elder Peak, Feb, 11, 2006 1 Skier Caught & Injured
    Little Cottonwood Canyon, Jan 28 2006 Nat\Remote triggered, 1 Skier caught & carried - uninjured.

Wyoming
    Jackson, Granite Chute, Feb 26, 2007 4 Skiers caught in slide, 1 buried and injured
    Jackson, Fat Bastard, Jan 5, 2007 3 Skiers caught in slide, 2 partially buried, 1 buried and killed.

Asia
    Gulmarg, Kashmir, Feb 9, 2007 1 skier caught in slide, buried, and killed.

Europe
    St. Anton, Jan 28, 2007 1 Skier Caught, Unburried, & Injured
    Berner Oberland, Kranzberg, March 2006 Skier triggered from above, 1 skier caught & buried
    St. Anton, Feb 2006 1 Skier Killed
    Man Pee's His way out of an Avy Burial
    Last edited by pechelman; 01-22-2009 at 03:30 PM.

bump
    thanks to everyone pm'ing me!

for the future it would be really great if you could include a brief blurb as above.
    ie
    Location, Date, Incident Summary

Nice P-man. This'll be cool.

I think you're gonna need more room. Maybe you ought to reserve a post each for each area or something.

I'll pull this if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    Nice P-man. This'll be cool.

I think you're gonna need more room. Maybe you ought to reserve a post each for each area or something.

I'll pull this if need be.
    You think a seperate post for each area?
    Thought it would work ok having it all in one post so long as I can keep the formatting nice and happy. I was also kinda hoping that there wouldnt be that many, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, bump cause Utah is now the safest place to ski with 0 incidents.

Been trying to find one TR in particular.
    Folks were climbing up a coulie, didnt have the right gear (rope etc), heard whoomphing, and turned around.

Theres also another one, maybe from Yurp?, where a mag was buried, but his friends pulled him out after 5 mins. Kanutten maybe? I dont know, everythings a blur now.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    You think a seperate post for each area?
    Thought it would work ok having it all in one post so long as I can keep the formatting nice and happy. I was also kinda hoping that there wouldnt be that many, for obvious reasons.
    Just seems easy to reach that magical "maximum" allowed per post. I forget what it is... so many characters... like 2,500 or 10,000... ?
    But with the links it eats up a lot. I know I was surprised to reach it just doing a TR before and had to split it.

oh
    good point
    didnt think about that
    well ive got at least 2 posts back to back.
    Might be able to just post the thread number if it gets too big.

This should be sticky-ed to the top of the slide zone.

thanks guys

still no utah reports
    I thought there would have at least been one or two.

edit: thanks to Tri-U, we have our first Utah report. Looks like its dangerous to ski there too
    Last edited by pechelman; 03-08-2007 at 07:16 PM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46407
    This was during a week of low avvy danger during a season w/ a strong solid snowpack. So this was quite an eyeopener for me. The danger is almost always there in one form or another.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46407
    This was during a week of low avvy danger during a season w/ a strong solid snowpack. So this was quite an eyeopener for me. The danger is almost always there in one form or another.
    thanks, updated

Bruce Temper also has a writeup of the incident I quickly googled.
    http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/Adviso...r_Overview.htm

pechelman - look in the backcountry jong thread . here's the code

avi # 2 baker (Successful rescue of a deep buried victim)

First person account of Berthoud Pass avvy rescue Nov 2005 (Unsuccessful rescue of a victim buried without a tranSceiver)

Going to Dig up a Dead Guy, a TR of Sorts (Unsuccessful rescue of a victim buried without a transceiver, some basic first aid discussion)

pechelman,

the link to the first St. Anton incident is broken and goes to the wrong thread. The correct incident is here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75065

Also, Kanutten's incident (pm him for the exact date):

Europe:
    Berner Oberland, Kranzberg March ?? 2006 Skier triggered from above, 1 skier caught & buried.

SkiBumOfVT Guest
    wow great compilation of avalanche reports. nice to know all the activity of this season. vibes to families and friends of the fallen

thanks everyone
    updated

another thread
    Canadian Rockies
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

How did I miss this thread? Great idea pechelman.
    Fresh Tracks are the ultimate graffitti.
    Schmear

Set forth the pattern to succeed.
    Sam Kavanagh

Friends of Tuckerman Ravine

Quote Originally Posted by Redskea View Post
    another thread
    Canadian Rockies
    updated.

Quote Originally Posted by H-man View Post
    How did I miss this thread? Great idea pechelman.
    thanks!

This is cheating a little and goes outside the bounds of TGR TRs, but it is something that is instructive and involves a maggot (me) in a central role none the less. I just never wrote it up as a trip report.

It will also, hopefully, alert anyone who doesn't already know to another trove of snowy torrents like knowledge...CAIC accident reports.

Anyway, her is the link:

http://avalanche.state.co.us/Acciden...0327_Jones.htm

Synopsis:
    Colorado, natural, 3 skiers buried, one seriously injured and evacuated. Me and my friends were thrust into a first aid and rescue scenario at a very popular and close in backcountry access spot in the front range.

The moral of this one, at least what I took away, is that having at the very least some basic first aid training should be as high or higher on your list as avalanche trainining and reinforced the truism that, despite weight and bulk, being prepared with a decent first aid kit and some rudimentary tools (tape, leatherman, extra clothes) that can be used in a medical emergency is well worth the effort, weight and space. My first aid kit has gotten bigger and always makes the cut in my bag whereas before it might not have.

Finally, even though we were less than a mile from the TH it took a significant amount of effort and the good fortune of having a friendly snowmobilier handy to evacuate this guy to the TH...and even then it took an hour and a half to get the guy out, which, interestingly, was how long it took for search and resuce and an ambulance to show up on scene. Regardless of how close in you are, you are at more risk the moment you step off the pavement.

Great thread, Pechelman

There are a bunch of great avy vids at:

www.avalanche-research.com

avvvy

I guess its off TGR but the CAIC has detailed descriptions of many of the slides that happen every year...

http://avalanche.state.co.us/Accidents/ - ...pde20 already posted this link...

and there are even more here

http://www.avalanche.org/
    Last edited by mortalim; 04-18-2007 at 09:34 AM.

motivation

So I have done my fair share of rope ducking and irresponsible snowmobiling and to this point have done nothing in the way of educating myself on the snow that would really like to kill me.

This thread by itself chilled me so deeply that I went out and signed up for the avalanche safety course that's available for free through my university. I don't think I will stop there either. Something tells me I will need to know much more before I am comfortable in the BC again.

Informed Consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by oZzmith View Post
    So I have done my fair share of rope ducking and irresponsible snowmobiling and to this point have done nothing in the way of educating myself on the snow that would really like to kill me.

This thread by itself chilled me so deeply that I went out and signed up for the avalanche safety course that's available for free through my university. I don't think I will stop there either. Something tells me I will need to know much more before I am comfortable in the BC again.

Informed Consumer.
    Right on, man!

There's a little book called Snow Sense. Get it and read it before your course. Super easy to digest and will get you thinking about avalanches.

pde20 had a great post. First aid is important. My son's and I were also involved in an avalanche with injury to a member of another group. My son and I took OEC last winter and my son has been carriying his patrol pack with him on our BC trips. The other group didn't have anything for first aid we were able to provide a splint. It was a significant injury and thankfully he was able to control hypothermia and shock until the helo showed. I regret not doing more first aid but some decisions were made by his party before we arrived. Important if we would of had to self rescue at least we had supplies to control bleeding and to stabilize the injury. A SAM spint and coban is very light.
    off your knees Louie

heads up teton mags.looks like no freeze overnite and warm temps,time to build a kicker to get your jolllies