Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    oh man, sucks to hear that Basom.....At least you got good some good days in tho....

and your probably not missing much more out East, even Jay is gettin rain.....some of my best days this year were tearin it up with you and bill....muchas gracias..

Originally posted by Z
    oh man, sucks to hear that Basom.....At least you got good some good days in tho....

and your probably not missing much more out East, even Jay is gettin rain.....some of my best days this year were tearin it up with you and bill....muchas gracias..

I second that, the two best days I had this season were at Jay with you guys, and at MRG with the whole crew. And there is always next year to look forward to.

Originally posted by tibaher

FWIW, if I had to do it again, I would not do a patella graft for the replacement. I would go hamstring or cadaver.
    No complaints here on the patella results, except for having needed them.

Damn dude...i just saw this. Great meeting you as well. Keep a good attitude and stay positive as much as you can. I know how it feels, as do a lot of others here.

Work hard to get that knee back to where it should be. PT as much as you can handle, and a little bit more. You'll be out ripping next season for sure. I have no doubts! Best of luck.
    you sketchy character, you

Originally posted by altachic
    Work hard to get that knee back to where it should be. PT as much as you can handle, and a little bit more. You'll be out ripping next season for sure.
    Wise words from AC.

Sorry to hear you boogered your knee. Do the work . . . . you'll be back strong next year.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Mucho condolences. Acknowledgement, meditiation, resolution, PT, operation, PTPTPTPT.

Mine, a hamstring graft, has been very slow to heal, but it is geting stronger.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Damn man, sorry to hear... Was hopin' for another Jay day here this spring. Rehashing what everyone from the east said, I was at Smuggs today and it was sloppy. You aren't missing much... Wish you a fast recovery.

Unhappy

You know it won't be the same at Tahoe without you. Was so stoked to have the Jay crew tearing it up down there. I guess the remaining few will have to stumble along and do our best to make you proud.

Stay strong and focus on next year.

d.

I almost forgot...

Pussy.

Sorry to hear it, man.

Originally posted by Alex P. Keaton
    I almost forgot...

Pussy.
    I believe "nancy boy" was the proper term.

Ben,

That really sucks dude.. sorry to hear it. Saw you on monday at bird in the lot as we were leaving on the bus - tried yelling but we were already pulling away. I did this last year, it really sucked.. good to hear you got some days in this year though. Hang in there, you'll be back before you know it.

thanks for the encouragement guys. especially you APK.

i aprieciate it.
    its good to know i will be following in the path of so many worthy maggots.

the positive side is the one i like to stand on (funny how i hang with bill so much).

it is somewhat satisfying to know that my last day this season was the best day of skiing i have had in my 26 years. surely enough to keep me motivated to get back at it as soon as possible

edit: i just looked at my "peg leg" title- thinkin i prolly jinxed myself with that one.
    Last edited by basom; 03-03-2004 at 06:28 AM.

big time bummer... for what its worth i would trade all the lame ass crappy ec ski days so far this season for two days of epic at alta. no joke. to a SAFE and quick healing!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

surgical bump.

sooo after jumping through HMO hoops, balking on one doctor, and one scheduling nightmare later i am finaly having my knee done tomarrow.
    i'm trying my hardest to get amped up for all the hard work in front of me, but am having a difficult time finding the mind set i had right after the injury, when i was all pumped up. now i have rehabed the knee to the point where i am crusing around with out a limp and no pain on stairs, or any pain at all. so knowing that i am going to be in another world of pain when i come out of anesthesia tomarrow, and that my mobility is going to go backwards for quite a bit, is not that fun of a thought.
    i have been geeting pretty fat too with out much excersise besides leg lifts and ski sits. so i hope by the time i'm getting into the cardio part of the rehab i dont look like brando.
    anyways, i'm sure there will be some oxycontin induced posts coming from basom this week.

Good luck with the surgery and the rehab after. Any hope of biking this summer? Be cool to get together for a ride before I go back to the midwest....

It sucks having to wait so long, but get yourself motivated to get ready for ski season.

And as far as weight gain goes, it shouldn't be too bad. I know when I was in that stage where you're not doing much yet in PT, the painkillers made me not want to eat much. You'll lose muscle, but I didn't gain weight. Then you'll be spending a lot of time at the gym for rehab - look at it as an opportunity to get in even better shape than you were before - you're there anyway...
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Positive vibes sent your way. The "world of pain" following the operation and the swimming out of the sleepy fog are highly overrated. It really wasn't so bad (I seem to recall the initial injury and following morning to be infinitely worse - in fact I think I still have all the painkillers they gave me following the slice). The lack of mobility and flexibility will be the biggest bummer so worry about that before getting to psyched for strength.

Here's hoping for a hot nurse for ya!

Sick and ashamed and happy (and thanks for the vid),
    d.

I don't know. Pain levels are totally different for everyone.

When I tore my ACL, I heard the pop, felt it give out and had no pain whatsoever - not even a twinge. My knee felt great but was unstable until I had the surgery. When I came out of anesthesia I was in the worst pain I've ever experienced - and it lasted for days. I lived on percocet and ice, which just barely took the edge off.

Second knee surgery - torn meniscus hurt when I walked on it at the time of injury, and after surgery I didn't have any pain and didn't even need so much as an aspirin. Nothing. I felt GREAT from the moment I woke up.

So honestly, I wouldn't even know what to expect in terms of pain for myself if I was going through it again. I'd just plan for lots of pain and be happy when it isn't as bad as I thought...

Prep your room where you plan on sitting around watching TV, elevating your leg and sleeping. Make sure you can get to the bathroom without tripping on stuff with crutches. Set up a cooler, books, remote controls, phone, laptop... Have a bag so you can carry stuff with crutches and drink cups with lids so you can carry them without spilling. Stock up on stuff that settles your stomach that you can make yourself eat with painkillers (oatmeal, yogurt...) Hopefully you'll be lucky and all of that will be overkill, but it's better to be prepared, even if you have someone taking care of you....
    "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow, what a Ride!"

Percocet's a binder-upper. 2 bowls of raisin bran for breakfast will do wonders for your attitude.
    Good luck with the surgery and rehab. altagirl's list of stuff to keep close by is a good one.

Eat lots of vitamin C and glucosamine, Ben.
    And lose your painkillers so you have extras for later.

Good luck, man. I can totally empathize with you. Gimme a PM or call if there's anything I can do for you from here. And stay ahead on those painkillers, at least for two or three days. Percocet should keep you happy.

-RD
    [quote][//quote]

man, i think we're paddling the same boat. it's been a little over 4 weeks now since i tore my acl for the second time. other than my leg feeling pretty weak, i'm able to do about anything - been playing quite a bit of golf and it doesn't even get sore afterwards. i'm thinking about trying to get my leg built up a bit and go back to the doc for a re-evaluation to see how loose it is. i really don't want to get cut again.....

keep us posted buddy and good luck to ya.

thanks again, all.

nice tips altagirl, some stuff there i hadnt thought of.

i had been over at the rehab center, a.k.a. mom's crib, doing some nesting in preperation for the first few days of post surgery. i was told by by doc, "it will be best if you arnt alone for those first days". but of course i left my MRI prints at my apartment, so here i am, back home to pick up the prints. doh.

had vietnamese food for dinner. immune system is peaking. ready to go.

see you guys on the other side.

Good luck, b. I can't imagine being alone for the first ~week after surgery. Oh man that would suck.

xboat, sorry to hear that. You're trying to avoid surgery? Hope you can, but it doesn't seem too many people have problems walking/running around within a few weeks after hurting it. Then you go out and play basketball or ski or whatever and you realize it's not right. Good luck.