Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    I just got this http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies...vent-calendar/ from my boss as an early Christmas present (he wanted to be sure I could drink them on schedule). I don't even know what whiskies are in the box, but I'm looking forward to Dec 1.

On this list, what is not to be missed?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Ardbeg 10
    Laphroaig 10
    Lagavulin 16
    Highland Park 18

In rank order for my tastes:
    Bunnahabhain 30 (!)
    Highland Park 30 (!)
    Oban '95
    Balvenie 21
    Lagavulin 16 (not uncommon, but damn good)

Quote Originally Posted by skiburgher View Post
    Ardbeg 10
    Laphroaig 10
    Lagavulin 16
    Highland Park 18
    I see you like the peat.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow 'n Steady View Post
    In rank order for my tastes:
    Bunnahabhain 30 (!)
    Highland Park 30 (!)
    Oban '95
    Balvenie 21
    Lagavulin 16 (not uncommon, but damn good)
    Thanks! We busted ass last week and worked some late nights so this place is our treat next Friday for a few "thank you" drinks on the company tip. Soo... I'm obviously getting spendy, just looking for suggestions. The highland park 30 was definitely on my radar as was the 95 Oban as the 14 year Oban is my favorite of my small collection.

I'm think I want to try some goods that are slightly less available at normal places.

Thanks guys!
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

spook Guest
    i've never liked any liquor except tequila of all kinds and mescal.

One of my best friends was killed exactly 2 years ago. He always liked cask strength single malt delights. Getting after it in his honor.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer View Post

One of my best friends was killed exactly 2 years ago. He always liked cask strength single malt delights. Getting after it in his honor.
    Nicely done. Something about premium scotch for the purposes of commemoration / reflection etc. that just seems right.

Although not as poignant as your effort, an old friend and i always share a good bottle when we see each other. We never do it at a party or gathering. Just me and him sitting around catching up.

On another commemorative note, i cracked a bottle of Highland Park 18 when my daughter was born. I drank half of it with 10 or so friends, all of whom signed the bottle. The idea is that when she turns 18 we will drink the other half with her.

I ended up in Edinburgh as a way to kill time between meetings in other cities.

Made my way to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society tasting room, and had my mind blown right off.

Then, at the recommendation of the bartender there, found my way to the Bow Bar, and continued to be impressed. I mean, I know it's obvious that there would be good whisky in Edinburgh, but I was not prepared for how much I really didn't know about what's available. I used to consider myself reasonably Scotch-aware, but I know nothing.

I ended up buying a bottle of the "Tangy Tea," which is apparently a 10-year-old whisky from Dailuaine. It wasn't the best I tried while I was there, but it was probably my favorite in my price range. If you find yourself in Edinburgh, and want to drink amazing Scotch, served by bartenders who know their shit (and will help you get yours sorted), definitely stop by the SMWS. I'm considering getting a membership in the US branch just to have access to things when/if I'm back in Scotland.

small collection

I love Japanese whisky - especially Yamazaki and Hibiki. Ive got three bottles left of Yamazaki 18. We finished off my last bottle of Hibiki 21 last year, so down to one bottle of 17. I actually traded a Yamazaki 18 for the Sullivan Cove French Oak with one of my best mates who lives in Tassie, so I'm really excited to try it. I've heard really good things about Sullivan Cove.

This picture was taken last winter so it's missing a bottle of Glenfiddich Reserve Cask.
    Name:  current collection.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  63.6 KB
    パウダーバカ!!

I just looked back over this thread and saw I posted about Ardbeg's Supernova - if you can find that bottle, do yourself a favor and buy it. Liquid gold.

I'd add I will often buy Macallan 12, and once in a blue moon the Macallan 17. Glenfiddich 12, 15, 17 and 18, too.

Damn I wish we could get more Yamazaki 18. If I could drink one bottle only the rest of my life, this would be it. If you can find this, grab it. I promise you you won't be disappointed.
    パウダーバカ!!

if you really like to get peaty try some Octomore, holy shit. Think dead rotting bodies and smoke. It blew me away.

Hello darkness my old friend

Caol Ila Single Malt (Ive only had the 12 year)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I ended up in Edinburgh as a way to kill time between meetings in other cities.

Made my way to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society tasting room, and had my mind blown right off.

Then, at the recommendation of the bartender there, found my way to the Bow Bar, and continued to be impressed. I mean, I know it's obvious that there would be good whisky in Edinburgh, but I was not prepared for how much I really didn't know about what's available. I used to consider myself reasonably Scotch-aware, but I know nothing.

I ended up buying a bottle of the "Tangy Tea," which is apparently a 10-year-old whisky from Dailuaine. It wasn't the best I tried while I was there, but it was probably my favorite in my price range. If you find yourself in Edinburgh, and want to drink amazing Scotch, served by bartenders who know their shit (and will help you get yours sorted), definitely stop by the SMWS. I'm considering getting a membership in the US branch just to have access to things when/if I'm back in Scotland.
    SMWS is the real deal. Had some stellar pours from them.

Sartori do you live in JPN? You mind shipping booze?