Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    I highly recommend this guide to Scotch newbies (or even old aficianados).

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/0762413131

It's turned me on to some great ones recently. Though, a bad single malt is really like a bad day of skiing - it (usually) still beats the hell out of most other things.

lagavulin is one of the only scotches I really enjoy but when I recommend it to scotch drinkers, they don't generally like it. I think maybe it is a bit peaty for most people...but I think it's the shit.

This resides in my desk at work:

BLESS is offline Insert Witty Comment Here

Quote Originally Posted by coreshot-tourettes View Post
    This resides in my desk at work:

FUCKING way to go, nectar of the gods, we should all get a wee dram of uisge beatha or ‘the water of life’ to ease our toils. The ancient Celts knew a thing or two; it eases us through long dark winter months. My current tipple is a bottle of Jura, from the island where George Orwell resided, the majestic herds of red deer roam and the mighty tidal cauldron of Corryvreckan roars.

All I should add to this tread is that "scotch is not a shooter"... I learned this the hard way, I will always regret finding all the really cheap scotch full on the counter and all the good scotch bottles empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Macallan Cask Strength.

Personally ever since I quit smoking I prefer a small-batch Bourbon, but a wee dram is still nice now & then.
    Knob Creek.

glenfiddich 21 yr remains my favorite. Johnnie Walker is good, but in my opinion it doesnt hold a candle to the glen
    Live

i'm going to the liqour store right now. l8tr
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

the only cheap islay available in canadian liquor stores (alberta, really):

good news: ardbeg 10yo is only $50. next paycheck i'm stocking up

Desert Island: Oban
    Special Occasion: Dalmore 21-year
    Debating the finer points of outdoorsmanship and literature: Ardbegs
    Guy who turns his nose up at sharing a bottle of Crown Royal: Total Pussy.

And THAT is why drinking scotch rules; its great to appreciate the finer points without being a snob-ass bitch.

Here, before I forget: Oban should never be pronounced "Oh-Ban", but more like "Ohbin", and Islay is not "I-lay", but more like "Ilah".

The more you know

Ah, scotch...oh how I love this thread :-) (fyi if you're on the island of Kauai anytime in the next few months we will be hosting a scotch tasting at my restaurant saffron-hawaii.com)

Now back to the subject at hand...smol...to get things straight you were talking about irish whiskey. not scotch. all are whiskeys but depending on where they are brewed (bourbon - KY, etc). for irish bushmills is a good chioce, smooth and good. they make a black bush which i havent tried yet but heard good things. I'm in the POWERS camp. That stuff is just goooood, and half the price of Jameson.

For scotches.... Lagavullin awesome, Laphroaig hot damn good times, 'Livett 18yr not too shabby. There are more...but single malt...anything over 12yr is bound to not suck. Some are just more equal than others ;-)

Damn i love scotch

scotchy scotch scotch

Quote Originally Posted by smolakian View Post
    Allright, I need some help guys.

I'm not a scotch conniseur. But, I do appreciate good grog. (I brew beer and I could talk about it for days)

I haven't really drank much whiskey straight in my time...(I'm only 26 and It still must have had a bad association with college) But, last summer at a friends wedding I had some Talkisker 18 year (Yes it was awesome). Then, I ended up finishing a bottle of Bushmills 2 moths ago with my uncle and cousins before going to the Steelers Broncos game. I had never had Bushmills before and I really enjoyed it. I know Bushmills isn't a top shelf even among blends. So, I went to the liquor store to expand my horizons. I didn't want to spend any money on a good bottle just becuase I don't wanna buy something that I don't like. So, I went safe and decide to buy a cheap bottle of something that might be a small upgrade to the bushmills. So, I went with Johnny Walker Black. Yeah, I've had Red (usually as shots or a mixer) and I've tasted Blue (before I appreciate the taste of scotch). But, while I can drink it, it just doesn't do much for me. I'm not sure what about the taste, I don't like. But, it was a disappointment.

So, if I really like Bushmills. What is the Scotchy direction that I want to go in? I've seen Bushmills 12 and higher at a few bars. I've never tried and I don't recall seeing it at liquor stores around. Is there a good $30-$40 dollar bottle of Scotch that might be a Bushmills upgrade. Or should I just stick to standard Bushmills and be thankful that I have cheap tastes?

If you can find it, try Edradour, from the smallest distillery in Scotland. Drinks a lot like a highland, so you peat-lovers and Islay fans might not like it. I always enjoy highlands more anyhow. You gotta love a type of whisky where you might have to "choke down" some Glenlivet in case of emergency (read-nothing else good to drink). And I would NEVER turn my nose up at sharing a bottle of Crown, or any whiskey/whisky with anyone.

This is what I usually buy. Easily among my all time top 5 malts and not really that pricey.

I also find myself buying Glenmorangie 10 y.o. (very light and smooth), Lagavulin 12 y.o., and Talisker 10 y.o. (quite manly - good for those cold nights) again and again.

f2f & bukeskywalker; men after my own heart, the Ardbeg 10yo is the dram of choice, daily medicine in moderation.

Bawheed; I knew a very fine piper fae Aberdeen with same name as you, we were in the 51st Highland Regiment Pipes & Drums, toured over the pond in Canada couple of times. He went ramadamadingdong on whisky & wkd and had to lay off it for a while when he started bawking blood
    Last edited by Sparky; 02-22-2008 at 02:22 PM.

dude.

just went car shopping with earlier said roommate. talked him into a sick car i did

and to celebrate, he picked this up on the way from the dealership
    (feel free to jong me for posting a bottle that doesn't actually belong to me, but this was way too good forego claiming)

bailey looks like he wants some
    my dog sheds the gnar.

Now that is a dog worth bragging about.

Never had the stuff in question; Glenfarclas? How was it? Would you compare it to anything similar?

It's so easy to sound like a pedophile when discussing good scotch amongst friends. "I wouldn't think of touching any thing under a ten year old" "I only start at 14".

Now I prefer a 15 year old McCallan. An 18 yr would be even better if I had $120 to spend. I do have an 18 year old Glen Morange that melts your brain. Lagavullen is a must for a real scotch tasting party. For an in-between peaty and not a 16 yr Bowmore is great.

Ok Mags,
    So I am getting a good single malt for a thank you gift, and I wanted some opinions on a good scotch that can't go wrong. Personally, my fav is lagavulin but I have found some people don't agree with it....even scotch drinkers. Any suggestions? I have thought about macallan but the 18 yr is pretty pricey. How about $75 or under?

Thanks in advance fellow scotch lovers.

i have found that most people who are not regular scotch drinkers do not object to Glenlivet.

it's a "back to basics" friday for me!

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    it's a "back to basics" friday for me!
    Your post made me open the 10 year old...

not a scotch, but I just bought this and it's delicious...
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^ i love good cognac!