spook Guest

UW scientists contend warming has less overall effect on snowpack than thought

What is the state of Northwest snowpack?

UW scientists contend warming has less overall effect on snowpack than thought

Saturday, February 24, 2007MICHAEL MILSTEIN
    You might think it's a simple matter to tell if global warming is shrinking mountain snowpacks.

But scientists are clashing over that point, with some saying others have exaggerated the decline of snow cover in the Cascades.

The disagreement led the atmospheric sciences department at the University of Washington this week to issue an unusual statement saying snow has not vanished as fast as some politicians and reports have suggested.

In fact, the statement said, heavier precipitation has offset the effect of rising temperatures by piling more snow on the ground.

cont...

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...310.xml&coll=7

shocker, conflicting reports about global warming

spook Guest
    at least they're arguing about degree, not existence.

I'd say it's more effect than degree. I've read some stuff claiming that Global Warming could greatly increase snowfall in the Alps/Northern Yurp by disrupting the Gulf Stream. Ireland may need to buy some snowplows....

spook Guest
    effect is probably a better choice of words. i was in a hurry and sloppy. in any case, they're not arguing about whether something is actually happening.

i was in the refuge on cotopaxi in ecuador shortly before sept. 11 and virtually every person there--all climbers and mostly european--said there was no such thing and that there was no agreement among scientists as to its existence.

even at that point, there was plenty of agreement and the majority of the clique that denied any thing was happening was already known to be funded by oil and gas industry interests by anybody who took even a small amount of time to investigate. it took several more years for those connections to come into mainstream view.

Warmer temps = more evaporation = more precipitation = more snow above snowline

Its really a no brainer taught in enviromental science 101
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

But also means higher snowlines.

DisArray Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

I say, BRING ON THE GLOBAL WARMING BABY!!!!

spook Guest
    yeah, it might mean go higher for more snow, but it also might mean go somewhere else depending on regional impacts.

i'd say the old fallback rule works just fine: enjoy it while you can.