The masses were out.
    Bare facts.
    30 minute wait at border.
    Line into parking lot.
    Line to buy ticket.
    Line for the urinals.
    This is unheard of.
    But it was for good reason.
    After joining the masses, I find my way to the top and disappear.

Let`s go down here.

Bump into a ski instructor taking the groms for an adventure.

Follow me class.

He sticks it and skis out in a (blurry) cloud.

This one is more my size, prof.

The profs line looked like fun, so I headed back next run.

I heart hero snow.

No one to snap the shot, so you`ll have to imagine me flailing through the air with no steeze whatsoever.

Saw some Bros in the line on the next run. Skied the rest of the day with Core Shot, GrizzlyFD, his wife and a friend. Good times had, but the couple I shots I attempted came out useless.

So the rest would just be words. Suffice to say it was soft and sweet. I`m sure the thousands of others that were there would agree.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and getting out of that parking lot was a nightmare),
    d.
    Last edited by gincognito; 02-17-2007 at 04:03 PM. Reason: cause I`m a moron.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Noice! Lucky, lucky guy.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

That cliff is sweet, I stumbled across that last year.

Nice meeting you d, you're a hell of a tele skier. Got a couple more pics, though I wish I took more, but conditions didn't warrant taking the camera out too often. great skiing with gin, coreshot, dan(non-mag) and the wife

Jay cloud? do you believe?

there was a little bit of snow...

and just a few people...

but the skiing was damn good
    coreshot hitting BBP

addy, wife, non-mag, etc...

dan ripping on some phantom crystal ships...i believe these might be the perfect jay woods ski...

and of course an end of the day dip run

met up with dromond in the ridiculous flyer line and hit a fresh tree line, but got split up when I found a tree well and then my wife found one right afterward.

good skiing was had

was up there aswell the tram line was ridiculus! i hiked it took less time!

FKNA awesome 3 days of fun.

Thursday = storm day = could not be there (but total wind holds)

Friday = windy as fuck, 3 degrees Farenheit, only Jet and Bonnyquad running.
    Third chair when jet opened - first tracks into Timbucktoo (why patrol or ski school didn't go in there already, i do not know). Sick heavy pow first 2/3 - last 1/3 funky windslab and slog back to the lift. Repeat 4 times, going deeper as requried for more fresh tracks. Stop into stateside lodge to attend to the gray dead flesh that was once my cheeks and I spotted GrizzFD on his Bros. Spent the afternoon hiking the upper mountain with Grizz and his beautiful ripping wife. High points: Sicktardedly deep (knee to waist)fresh powder line in Upper Valhalla; Everglades sweetness; woods were sweet all over.

Saturday = all lifts running and holy fuck where did all these people come from? It looked like Killington. I know its presidents weekend, but its fucking jay peak! 2 hour line to tram (couldn't do it) but about 10mins to take the singles line on the freezer chair. Found so much good snow there and the windchill was still heinous that Big jay was cancelled in favor of more vert, more safety and much fun. Good to ski with gincognito again. Highlight = BP and BBP laps and last run in the Dip.

Sunday = "social" ski day at Cannon. Turns out that no one else went here either. Never a lift line. snowed 6" of dry blower pow during the day. Not much wind. Absolutely perfect ski day. Hiked for some sweet powder runs in The Enchanted Forest. Tramline was fun as hell - bony at the crux, but sick fresh pow below.

Best 3 day E.C. ski trip ever.
    Last edited by Core Shot; 02-19-2007 at 07:52 AM.
    . . .

i noticed they opened tramline...nice! kinsmans was still closed? cannon = no lines!

I saw GrizzlyFD and the Mrs. but lost track of them in 1/2 a run. Damned tree wells! Sorry to have missed you, Gin. Saturday morning was unreal. I got the early early 8am tram and did a nice run off of the ridge. The conditions blew me away. In just the first 3 hours I got so many ultra sweet untracked runs off of the flyer that I could barely beleive it. Then the hordes showed up.

And by the end of the day on Sunday it turned into a power days again. We found a great little zone that got wind loaded every 2 runs. Also, I triggered a very small, shallower soft slab avy/slough. Inbounds, on the side of a groomed. It was maybe 10-15 feet wide and slide for 15-20 feet. Maybe 8 inches deep. Such a weird experience!

Sounds good. Glad you guys got after it!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Thanks for posting the photos gin and grizzlyFD it looked like it was a pretty fun day (the crowds notwithstanding).

I was also there on Saturday. Lines were long. Valhalla was DEEP. The cut up pow in a lot of places was very fun. Solid day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Also, I triggered a very small, shallower soft slab avy/slough. Inbounds, on the side of a groomed. It was maybe 10-15 feet wide and slide for 15-20 feet. Maybe 8 inches deep. Such a weird experience!
    Was this by any chance on Exhibition? There was a slide there on Thursday.

We skied Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We are exhausted! Still haven't downloaded pics to look at them, but we didn't take many because we were too busy skiing. The Dip on Saturday was awesome, we did several laps after finding an uncrowded section (let's just say we opted not to dump out on 242 because of the car-cluster-fck, and THAT is where everyone else was headed). Two Montrealers followed us in, ask us if we're in the Orchard, we told them they'd gone way past it and had better be careful or they'll end up on the wrong side of 242, also called after them that we hoped they liked walking as they ignored our response. Upper Quai on Friday was about as good as it gets, but Saturday it was wrecked by intermediates snowplowing over the rocky entrance and removing ALL snow. Snow was extra deep in Vertigo on Friday. Fresh lines down Green Beret on Saturday started the day out just right. My last run Sunday was in Buck Woods, which was basically untracked and full of light powder from the snow that had fallen all day. Nice way to end the weekend.

But really, given the huge lines on the weekend, it was amazing how you could still feel alone in the trees and find untracked the entire weekend, as long as you knew where to look.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by SheSkisTrees View Post

We skied Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We are exhausted! Still haven't downloaded pics to look at them, but we didn't take many because we were too busy skiing. The Dip on Saturday was awesome, we did several laps after finding an uncrowded section (let's just say we opted not to dump out on 242 because of the car-cluster-fck, and THAT is where everyone else was headed). Two Montrealers followed us in, ask us if we're in the Orchard, we told them they'd gone way past it and had better be careful or they'll end up on the wrong side of 242, also called after them that we hoped they liked walking as they ignored our response. Upper Quai on Friday was about as good as it gets, but Saturday it was wrecked by intermediates snowplowing over the rocky entrance and removing ALL snow. Snow was extra deep in Vertigo on Friday. Fresh lines down Green Beret on Saturday started the day out just right. My last run Sunday was in Buck Woods, which was basically untracked and full of light powder from the snow that had fallen all day. Nice way to end the weekend.

But really, given the huge lines on the weekend, it was amazing how you could still feel alone in the trees and find untracked the entire weekend, as long as you knew where to look.

I was unable to get up there.....so bummed about it and your little report here only made me more depressed! I am happy you got after it though

Saturday was ridiculous in terms of wait. They sold 5000 tickets, biggest day ever at Jay. It took my buddies over an hour to get out of the parking lot and back to our place a mile down the road. Ive never seen lines so long anywhere I have ever skied in 20 years. Regardless, the conditions were so sweet, it didn't matter. Valhalla and BP were awesome.

Sunday lines were better and it started puking hard late morning which refreshed everything with another 6+ inches. Found tons of fresh in Timbuktu. Vertigo was awesome - still tons of untracked in there. Amazing weekend.

WTF? 5000 tickets is just plain unethical for a place of that size. We passed up Jay to go to Saddleback today. 100 cars or so in the parking lot. Holy shit was it cold, but a reaaly good day. First run of the day was a sheet of bulletproof ice off the top with frostbite setting in qiuck and last run was spent fishing my friend out of a treewell, everything else in between was awesome.

No this was actually over by Northway I think. (Some blue run off of Bonaventure.) It was off the side on a nice slope of very moderate pitch that was windloading extremely fast. That's why we went for it. I was so surprise when I saw the fracture that I just about fell right over. Good thing it didn't end in a gully when I was alone off in the woods somewhere. Very small, but still total craziness to see firsthand in the east!

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    WTF? 5000 tickets is just plain unethical for a place of that size.
    The lines were so long at all the ticket windows that the owner was out walking around the parking lot and the loading area taking cash and selling tickets off a spool he had with him. Granted he sold my buddy a full day ticket for only $39 and gave him a voucher for a free coffee inside - my buddy said you could see the dollar signs the guy's eyes.

Believe me I wanted to hate being there on saturday, I only got 8 runs in all day, but every run was sooo good, I couldn't be upset in the end. It was like having psycho girlfriend who's great in the sack - it was easy to forget why you hate her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay's Dip Powcher View Post
    I was unable to get up there.....so bummed about it and your little report here only made me more depressed! I am happy you got after it though
    I wish I could say you didn't miss much, but it was pretty amazing. Perhaps you can make it this upcoming weekend, they are expecting MORE snow. And any snow on top of this storm is just icing on the cake. Everything's all nicely filled in. I know a lot of people opted not to do Big Jay because of the avi danger. I only saw a few cars parked in the ski-out zone. I know we weren't comfortable doing it.

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    No this was actually over by Northway I think. (Some blue run off of Bonaventure.) It was off the side on a nice slope of very moderate pitch that was windloading extremely fast. That's why we went for it. I was so surprise when I saw the fracture that I just about fell right over. Good thing it didn't end in a gully when I was alone off in the woods somewhere. Very small, but still total craziness to see firsthand in the east!
    No kidding. Perhaps Milk Run? That can get pretty wind loaded. So can Hell's Crossing (the first entrance, not the one that you jump into Hell's Woods from).

Patrol did have to help dig out some people that fell into very deep pockets of snow, and one of the patrollers had to dig himself out several times on Tuckermans.

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

I wish I could say you didn't miss much, but it was pretty amazing. Perhaps you can make it this upcoming weekend, they are expecting MORE snow. And any snow on top of this storm is just icing on the cake. Everything's all nicely filled in. I know a lot of people opted not to do Big Jay because of the avi danger. I only saw a few cars parked in the ski-out zone. I know we weren't comfortable doing it.
    Yes amazing, I bet it was. I may try for Thursday if I can get a few to go with me. Big Jay can wait a bit as I would like a bigger crew and it to be a lot safer. Feels odd saying that.... Well back to drooling over pics so I have something to dream about tonight.

No kidding. Perhaps Milk Run? That can get pretty wind loaded. So can Hell's Crossing (the first entrance, not the one that you jump into Hell's Woods from).

Patrol did have to help dig out some people that fell into very deep pockets of snow, and one of the patrollers had to dig himself out several times on Tuckermans.
    If you drop into the woods just after milk run, then ski across the groomer there a little open spot before you go into the trees again. That's where it happened.

All I know is that by the time I got to Tuckermans at 8am on sunday it was DONE. Maybe the first two people through there had a good run but even with all the snow it was 10 minutes of annoying punji stick bushwacking for about 4 good turns. :/

I SO MISS riding Jay Peak, along with S'Bush/Mad River.

Today at snow at Snowbird was the shit, at the end of the day I hit a 10 foot air then boosted it into a 15 foot plus (maybee I was 20 feet in the air, I just new I lauched it hit stuck it (has a fun old school jump turn air to it, I call it Plake Air cause you hit like Plake back in the 80's style jump turn airs), then could not control it when I hit some bumps twice as big as before (when I stuck it w/ no crashing the last two runs beforehand) and triple cartwheeled at super high speed, but I skied away fine from it, the low vis I could not see the moguls that recently formed up, oh well at least I sent it the previous two times and loocked like a rock star. Today in LCC ruled, but will always remember the insane 00-01 winter in Vermont.

Learn to rip it at Jay then you take into high gear out west.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Jay's Dip, make Thursday happen.

Dromond, I think I know where you're talking. Interesting. Too bad about Tucks, but I'm not surprised, since locals rushed to it Friday and Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    I SO MISS riding Jay Peak, along with S'Bush/Mad River.

Today at snow at Snowbird was the shit, at the end of the day I hit a 10 foot air then boosted it into a 15 foot plus (maybee I was 20 feet in the air, I just new I lauched it hit stuck it (has a fun old school jump turn air to it, I call it Plake Air cause you hit like Plake back in the 80's style jump turn airs), then could not control it when I hit some bumps twice as big as before (when I stuck it w/ no crashing the last two runs beforehand) and triple cartwheeled at super high speed, but I skied away fine from it, the low vis I could not see the moguls that recently formed up, oh well at least I sent it the previous two times and loocked like a rock star. Today in LCC ruled, but will always remember the insane 00-01 winter in Vermont.

Learn to rip it at Jay then you take into high gear out west.
    Sounds like you had fun at Snowbird! You had quite the tumble. I had an interesting run on Derek over the weekend. It didn't include lots of air, it mostly included speed...too much! The wind had swept the snow off the top pitch, right down to the ice, but there was a huge wind-drift ridge skier's left along the edge. There were a few chairloads of people following right behind us, so my husband dove right in. I didn't want to be there when others found the ice, so I jumped in right behind him. It was HEAVY and DEEP, and I missed the second turn. That put me into a straightline right up against the trees. I picked up speed much faster than I'd prefer, and my head was screaming, "Shit! I'm gonna die!" I was almost at the end of that pitch when I was able to launch a jump turn on a monster mogul, which slowed me down and I nailed the next four or five mogul turns before pulling up next to my husband. My husband was grinning at me and behind me, I heard cheers! Very rarely have I felt so out of control and freaked. But I pulled it out and I laughingly said to my husband, "Let's let 'em all think I planned that!"

Funny thing about taking it out West, we've got a trip planned that pretty much coincides with the Mag Summit in CO, we're just doing it backwards. Start at Silverton, Telluride and Durango (snowcat skiing), then to the Butte for three days, then two days at Monarch (one day of snowcat). Good thing we got some snow out here, we were getting worried about not having much ski time before doing such an ambitious trip.

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
    I knoooow where youuuuuu werrrrre... Damn, that's a lot of snow in there.

east coast stoke, nicely done.