Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pow report - Niseko, Hokkaido, Japan

After last years trip to Niseko https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ghlight=Niseko

We headed back to get some more. It's going to be hard to ski anywhere else.

JourneyMan

3Decks
    Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of resume's in the bin without reading them.

thats just nutty. awesome

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Had me giggling like a little girl.

That is so fucking rad - I've wanted to go there for some time. I obviously need to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    I obviously need to make it happen.
    obvs. gosh.

Quote Originally Posted by nhtele View Post
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Had me giggling like a little girl.

That is so fucking rad - I've wanted to go there for some time. I obviously need to make it happen.
    You live in Jackson? We could do a "home exchange". I have lots of buddies with Niseko houses, I own a condo in Niigata anf am thinking of buying in Nagano. Niseko's terrain might bore a JH native though, I would be inclined to recommend Nagano (except this season. Toooo warm)
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

man you guys luck out with awesome conditions...is this just a good time to go or did you check the weather report and booked the trip pretty quick...cause I'd love to get some of that

tomw_n is offline hucksville, wasatch front
    that looks fun
    If I come off as smug or self-rightous or arrogant, well, it's because this is the internet and you haven't seen me ski. - Highway Star RIP

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    ... I ... am thinking of buying in Nagano. ... I would be inclined to recommend Nagano (except this season. Toooo warm)
    If you're around next year I'm in the process of possibly organising 3.5 weeks in Nozawa late Dec-mid Jan. Wouldn't mind hooking up with some of the Honshu crew, especially B/C/off-piste partners since I'll be otherwise doing that alone. I'm thinking you and fattwins specifically.

jeomk
    _____

OMG! Insane! That's the kind of stuff we rarely get over here.

Since Niseko's terrain is said to be boring what are the alternatives within Hokkaido? I heard there IS fun terrain with the same amount of fluff snow around, Rusutsu? Anyone know?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Rusutsu is great but typically on a different weather pattern to Grand Hirafu (Niseko). When one gets it the other doesn't.

Small mountain (Rusutsu) that skis big. Deserted most of the time. Some great terrain. Very little open, mostly gladed.

Another option is Moiwa. Even quieter. reminds me of Turner Mountain, MT

People in hell want ice water.

If you think Niseko is flat, you'll just *love* Rusutsu--NOT.

Anyway, if you are only riding lifts, you won't find a lot of steep in Hokkaido, but you can ski great snow. Best tree skiing I have ever done. And the BC...

Last edited by telepariah; 02-16-2007 at 07:47 AM.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Telepariah,

What's the location in the first shot?

North face of Annupuri looking over at Iwao-nuppuri. Slackcountry really.

I boiled my thermometer, and sure enough, this spot, which purported to be two thousand feet higher than the locality of the hotel, turned out to be nine thousand feet LOWER. Thus the fact was clearly demonstrated that, ABOVE A CERTAIN POINT, THE HIGHER A POINT SEEMS TO BE, THE LOWER IT ACTUALLY IS. Our ascent itself was a great achievement, but this contribution to science was an inconceivably greater matter.

--MT--

Great shots!!!!

love it, hopefully some time in my life I can get there. There is something about the trees that is just so cool.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

You officially have permission...to suck my dick.

Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    You live in Jackson? We could do a "home exchange". I have lots of buddies with Niseko houses, I own a condo in Niigata anf am thinking of buying in Nagano. Niseko's terrain might bore a JH native though, I would be inclined to recommend Nagano (except this season. Toooo warm)
    SC, wheres your condo? Yuzawa? Nozawa? Naeba?

Hakuba or Nozawa would be where Id buy...and even then still hard to beat Hakuba.

Love those pics SB. Niseko powder is epic!!
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    If you're around next year I'm in the process of possibly organising 3.5 weeks in Nozawa late Dec-mid Jan. Wouldn't mind hooking up with some of the Honshu crew, especially B/C/off-piste partners since I'll be otherwise doing that alone. I'm thinking you and fattwins specifically.
    I'll be around only that may be a tad early for touring in Nagano if this season is any indication...

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    SC, wheres your condo? Yuzawa? Nozawa? Naeba?

Hakuba or Nozawa would be where Id buy...and even then still hard to beat Hakuba.

Love those pics SB. Niseko powder is epic!!
    I have a place in Yuzawa and am thnking of buying in Hakuba.

www.poachninja.com

sweet man. Sucks about your injuries. Hope you heal up quickly!! My ass wont be in Hakuba till I find out if I got the job at the International HS or not. If not, Im gonna be in Hakuba from the end of March-April I think. Just tour for a month up there. Maybe by then you'll be out skiing agian

If youre gonna hit Hakuba start before the flood gates open
    パウダーバカ!!

Nice Pics!! Apparently due to the recession in the mid-late 90's, there are a bunch of resorts for sale cheap. I smell a JV coming on... anyone????

So are those tree shots in-bounds or poached? I thought everything in Japan was either groomed or only accessed by touring....?

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Loads of in-bounds glade skiing at Grand Hirafu, Niseko and open boundary policy for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    As sick as the slack/backcountry is there it takes longer for Noz to get a base than Hakuba...Shiga Kogen has the highest elevation and even drier snow than Niseko. Float around between at least 2 or 3 areas would be a nicer experience IMHO
    パウダーバカ!!