Thread: Jay Peak

Jay Peak

50-60" ? Windhold today? Was anyone there today?...going tomorrow?
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    50-60" ? Windhold today? Was anyone there today?...going tomorrow?
    www.jaypeakresort.com

Mit is offline Con-Coccyxial Concussed
    Yeah I love their website.. "100% Open", except for the lifts....

The wind was insane today especially this morning. Only the Metro was open until 1sh when they started the bonny quad. Lots of heavy heavy snow and even more drifts which made it an interesting day..not epic but definately fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mit View Post
    Yeah I love their website.. "100% Open", except for the lifts....

The wind was insane today especially this morning. Only the Metro was open until 1sh when they started the bonny quad. Lots of heavy heavy snow and even more drifts which made it an interesting day..not epic but definately fun.
    Hey Mit, seeing what you've seen would you go back tomorow or, say, hit up MRG. I'm concerned about getting up there and not even being able to move in 60". Specially Beaver Pond and beyond where there's a lot of flat to get out.

if it is anything like the consistency of the snow at Smuggs today, anything flatt will be almost unskiable. smuggs reports 40 inches.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Hey Mit, seeing what you've seen would you go back tomorow or, say, hit up MRG. I'm concerned about getting up there and not even being able to move in 60". Specially Beaver Pond and beyond where there's a lot of flat to get out.
    I am curious to see what the actual report is but I would think you will get out just fine. No need to hit the Beyond Beaver as there will be plenty on Valhalla and Green Beret etc. So wind blown even in the dip and Beav that sinking waist deep will not happen. Time to Hit Big Jay is now!

At the top of the tram, you get out, turn left and hike the ridge (or you can). What's that called? Anyway, in 2001, I got stuck in a treewell sking off that ridge line. I'm pretty sure 60" is more than we had back then and am doubting the wisdom of trying that ridge with such depths. The concern being swallowed...reasonable thought? ..or nancy

At the top of the tram, you get out, turn left and hike the ridge (or you can). What's that called? Anyway, in 2001, I got stuck in a treewell sking off that ridge line. I'm pretty sure 60" is more than we had back then and am doubting the wisdom of trying that ridge with such depths. The concern being swallowed...reasonable thought? ..or nancy
    pump house? Very reasonable

I hope we can get Mit back .. I want to hear about this consistency. I'm getting the impression we're not talking champagne.
    Pump House sounds familiar...

Big Jay will be epic. I'll be driving up from Boston tomorrow, anyone interested in meeting up for a ski??
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Face Chutes runs directly below the tram. But the whole treed ridgeline is also skiable and as far as I know is just called the ridge, with a lot of tight lines connecting some larger open pockets. Betcha that face is wicked wind scoured with some super drifts, but i dont think youd get swallowed.
    Ski it. It'll make you feel good.

Quote Originally Posted by MassLiberal View Post
    Big Jay will be epic. I'll be driving up from Boston tomorrow, anyone interested in meeting up for a ski??
    I would be up for that but am heading to Loon with my 6 yr old son....he is just as syked as I am. We will be finding some.... I hope

The top of loon, angel street, big dipper, etc... must be $$$!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MassLiberal View Post
    When are you driving up, you photoslut? I might be able to come with ya.
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

It's not often you can say you skied 60" ..or say I woulda enjoyed the 30' closer to home. WTF.. still undecided. And the tickets to Jay are being offered free.

I'll be at Jay today thru sun if anyone wants to make a couple turns. I'll be on 188 bro's and my wife on some line celebs.

Fernie BC Canada / Mt Ruapehu New Zealand
    It's now 1:40am Friday am...just arrived at Jay after driving 10hours from Canada to ride here! It's probably too late to meet up with anyone but would be keen to join up with some people (if you are reading this before heading up the mountain!). I have never ridden here and I'm writing an article for the World Snowboard Guide so it would be cool to hook up with a regular Jay skier/boarder.

I plan on getting 1 of the 1st chairs so let me know time and place!

Black 686 Jacket
    Army green Session pants
    Black Elan board
    Grey burton C-60 bindings.

Cheers

ps GrizzlyFD - Are you a Kiwi?? Even if you are, I'll still ride with you :P Go Wallabies!

Nah, no kiwi here, just spent some time there...we'll be at the tram base around 8ish seeing if the lift will start turning there...very possible they won't until later, so we'll try stateside base to try the bonnie chair ( no update on the site or phone yet)

just yell if ya got change
    -matt

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtripper View Post
    It's now 1:40am Friday am...just arrived at Jay after driving 10hours from Canada to ride here! It's probably too late to meet up with anyone but would be keen to join up with some people (if you are reading this before heading up the mountain!). I have never ridden here and I'm writing an article for the World Snowboard Guide so it would be cool to hook up with a regular Jay skier/boarder.

I plan on getting 1 of the 1st chairs so let me know time and place!

Black 686 Jacket
    Army green Session pants
    Black Elan board
    Grey burton C-60 bindings.

Cheers

ps GrizzlyFD - Are you a Kiwi?? Even if you are, I'll still ride with you :P Go Wallabies!

Look for the yellow Helly Hansen Jackets with a small embroidery that reads Jay Peak Video in red, they will show you around...ask for Kevin and tell him who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtripper View Post
    I have never ridden here and I'm writing an article for the World Snowboard Guide so it would be cool to hook up with a regular Jay skier/boarder.
    Sweet write a article about where all the goods are at. Anyway please don't post hole up any ski tracks. And remember don't post hole up any ski tracks.
    Thank you and have fun.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay's Dip Powcher View Post
    Look for the yellow Helly Hansen Jackets with a small embroidery that reads Jay Peak Video in red, they will show you around...ask for Kevin and tell him who you are.
    Do you work in the repair shop? I might have seen you yesterday
    I live on the east coast and I'm proud of it.

This is pretty much totally crazy to post because I likely can't do it; but if I drove up to Jay tonight to ski the next two days would anyone want to carpool or anything like that? I have a free place to stay (family) about 45 minutes from the mountain. I'd be driving from Noho.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    I probably wouldn't carpool, but it would be cool to see you there? Maybe also stay with you tonight? Probably 3 or so people, let me know.
    I actually doubt that I'd be up there tonight. Would likely drive directly to the mtn tomorrow morning leaving at 4am or so. There could possibly be space for some peoples. It's not too cushy. My aunt's chilly farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. But it's better than nothing. Floor space at best.

cheers