Stowe: avy danger

Thought it would get some more exposure here most of the lifts on the EC will be down/slow to run due to the wind.

from their site:
    SNOW ALERT!

AVALANCHE WARNING! Stowe Mountain Rescue has issued an advisory that EXTREMELY HIGH AVALANCHE DANGER exists in the backcountry, due to the recent heavy snowfall. With continued cold temperatures forecasted, these conditions will continue into next week!

FYI on updated totals:
    Stowe: 44-54" total so far (more wraparound coming )
    Jay: 54-60" (same wrap around snows)
    Smuggs: 36" (wwaaaayy under reported)
    MRG: 40-48"
    SB: 36-40"
    Kmart: 30"

54-60" for Jay! That place provides yet again

Now if we could just get some TR's here, everything would be gud.

Just gimme until friday for the TR

Jay: 54-60" (same wrap around snows)

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

God damn job don't they know they should just pay me because I'm cool.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

File this one under the too much snow at once file. The east coast can't handle that big of a storm and still have good skiing. Not many places can. Cue pictures from the Bridger storm for reference. At least you'll finally have your base out there. Better late then never, like Utah.

The thing is we already had our base at most places. The Bush has been 100% open for weeks. Looks like its on for tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Now if we could just get some TR's here, everything would be gud.
    agreed. it isn't like the icecoasters haven't been bitching about the snow all winter. cmon folks, we want some stoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

there is literally too much snow...skiing down after camping on top of stowe last night, I literally had to straitline to get the speed and floatation I needed, and I was on spatulas for fucks sake. Also, this wind seriously fucked shit up.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

^^^ but you aren't complaining, i'm sure. remember, it could be last year and be raining

Wait, you camped out on top of Mansfield last night and didnt die?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    File this one under the too much snow at once file. The east coast can't handle that big of a storm and still have good skiing. Not many places can. Cue pictures from the Bridger storm for reference. At least you'll finally have your base out there. Better late then never, like Utah.
    Oh I think we'll make it work...wait for the TR before drawing any conclusions

At my local backcountry mountain here yesterday afternoon in the northern Adirondacks at least 3 feet of snow at the summit, if not more. This was a combination of this storm and consistent flurries that the hill has been getting for the past week and a half. Straightlining was pretty much all we could do, and I'm on Motherships. It snowed the rest of the night, and I'm sure it's still snowing up there now.

It would be nice to be out on some of the slides out here in the Adirondacks today, except for the brutal ice layer that still exists from the icing event last month. I'd be incredibly surprised if anything bonds to it-- the six inches that was on it since then certainly hasn't. I think its safe to say that avy danger is through the roof right now.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Wait, you camped out on top of Mansfield last night and didnt die?
    fuck no, warm as hell in our little snowcave. Leaving in an hour to do it again.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Damn, not bad my man, just be careful out there.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Orphic Seth View Post
    At

It would be nice to be out on some of the slides out here in the Adirondacks today, except for the brutal ice layer that still exists from the icing event last month. I'd be incredibly surprised if anything bonds to it-- the six inches that was on it since then certainly hasn't. I think its safe to say that avy danger is through the roof right now.
    This im worried about.

Wil be interesting to see how things play out. Im hoping by sunday things will stabilize with it possibly cloimbing into the 20's.....hoping though.....

The avy situation is gonna be quite intersting when all the snow settles. It was pretty warm (slightly above seasonal temps) right before the storm hit and most of the snow started with a pretty high water content. Then as the low passed off shore the winds picked up out of the north east and dropped the temp and density of the snow way down. Maybe some of the avy experts can weight in on the situation, even though its difficult without knowing the snowpack.

we have a solid few inches of consolidated base, but at lower elevations it is a thin base of sugar snow and depth hoar. On top of the base we had a few inches to feet of medium density sugar snow, with a crust on top in open areas. This recent storm is going to be loading right on top of the crust. Today I was already seeing small slab releases varying in depth from 1 inch to a foot or more. When you factor in serious windloading and windskin, I'm out of my depth. Shit is so variable all over stowe that I'm going to be taking it run by run, and praying I come home alive.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    You speak the truth, but I'm almost giddy that the Mansfield snow stake is at 77" after being at 7" less than a month ago. If nothing else, random huckage will be good (and scary).