Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brother down in La Grave

He lost it on a roller, ejected from a rental binding (long story) and landed on his back on a stump. I just talked to him now and he's fine but no-one in Briancon hospital has really explained what's wrong or what needs to be done. We do know he's got a broken cocyx and a (preexisting) spinal lesion and he has varying amounts of feeling in his lower extremeties. It happened under the lift and took 1 1/2hrs for someone to call the incident in. He got helivacced and only has what he was wearing at the time in hospital. He's optimistic and we're hoping it's not the end of his season, let alone something more.

Scary shit. +++++VIBES+++++
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

wow, hope he's ok and all positive vibes.

***not at all saying 'told you so', but*****always ski with a partner in la grave, you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    ***not at all saying 'told you so', but*****always ski with a partner in la grave, you just never know.
    Yeah, I told him so too. I didn't get the exact details but he said he was skiing down to meet a group he was going skiing with. He was on the lower mountain not doing anything particularly challenging. He certainly wasn't charging or taking a heavy line. But yeah, you never know.

Wow... scary shit. +++vibes+++ sent and here's hoping he makes a full recovery

++++ vibes
    sounds nasty
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

+++++++++++VIBES
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

++++++++++++++Vibes+++++++++++++++++++++

Hope he had evac. insurance, I hear those heli rides ain't cheap.

+vibes+++++
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ++++++++++++++Vibes+++++++++++++++++++++

Hope he had evac. insurance, I hear those heli rides ain't cheap.
    normally free in la grave as it is done by the high mountain police in Briancon. I say normally, there are always grey areas in France to trap the unwary tourist. Briancon hospital, now that ain't cheap, but they have balconies that overlook the runs at Serre Chevalier.

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Sure hope everything turns out OK.

Sending healing vibes...
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Thoughts and prayers go out. Best of luck my friend.
    The Griz

Shit, that sounds nasty. I hope he is ok, apart from the obvious break.

Who was it? - I used to live there so know most of the regular crowd. Fingers crossed for whoever it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    It happened under the lift and took 1 1/2hrs for someone to call the incident in.
    WTF? Under the lift and 1 1/2 hrs later he gets help. You would figure help would be there within 15 to 20 min. I guess the boys had to finish their coffee and cigs first

+++vibes+++ for a quick recovery and full feeling back in the legs. I hope he likes sitting on the donut for the broken coccyx. Sucks a broken useless bone in the body

Healing vibes - I hope he is going to be fine. LaGrave is filled with stuff to hit...usually in the form of rock. Not that a stump is a picnic.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicboy View Post
    WTF? Under the lift and 1 1/2 hrs later he gets help. You would figure help would be there within 15 to 20 min. I guess the boys had to finish their coffee and cigs first
    Clearly you've never ridden the Téléphérique.

Quote Originally Posted by davidof View Post
    Briancon hospital, now that ain't cheap, but they have balconies that overlook the runs at Serre Chevalier.
    He said that's the hardest part - his room overlooks the mountains, it's snowing and he has to lay still for 3 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletizer View Post
    Who was it? - I used to live there so know most of the regular crowd. Fingers crossed for whoever it is.
    Andrew Walsh is his name/addict on TGR. He's only been there once before for a few weeks maybe 4 winters ago so you won't know him. He's there for the season this winter.

++++++

That's some scary shit...all the best to him.

Posi Vibes, Do you get a chance to go visit???

Three weeks is a long time to sit still with only French nurses to keep you company.

bump for any news on your bro, hope he's improving? ++++++++

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Do you get a chance to go visit???
    Nope. Just got back from Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    bump for any news on your bro, hope he's improving? ++++++++
    Dunno. I'll prolly call him tomorrow. What I'm most concerned about right now is costs. I know his insurance company won't cover it. I had the same company and specifically asked about off-piste skiing and they said no cover. He might be up for a massive bill what with the helivac and 3 weeks in an expensive bed.

Me and Hayduke could rescue him at the weekend. We will bring a wheelbarrow.

Heh. He'd be right up for that. I dunno whether insurance would cover the wheelbarrow costs, though .

Ouch! Heal up bro!
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Nope. Just got back from Europe.

Dunno. I'll prolly call him tomorrow. What I'm most concerned about right now is costs. I know his insurance company won't cover it. I had the same company and specifically asked about off-piste skiing and they said no cover. He might be up for a massive bill what with the helivac and 3 weeks in an expensive bed.
    As stated by davidof, the chopper ride should be free. Or covered by the 'carte neige', anyway. (He has a carte neige, right ?!).
    I'm puzzled by his insurance situation : A season in La Grave and no cover for off-piste skiing ? That was a huge gamble. And that's an understatement...

++++vibes+++++
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso