Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where to live Bozeman, Reno-Tahoe or SLC??

I was wondering what you guys thought about these 3 areas as far as relocation is concerned. I just got back from SLC and enjoyed it. I have also enjoyed visits to Reno/Tahoe but I have yet to visit Bozeman. Job availability, skiing/hiking/mtb, etc., and housing should be taken into account. I know jobs in Bozeman may be scarce compared to the others but I have heard there are good jobs out there.

I am moving to Bozeman in the fall ............ thats all

what kind of job did you land.......If you have yet?

truly depends on what u are looking for. SLC is a big town while Bozeman is pretty small. Personally the small town feel of Bozeman is way better. BB and Big Sky are great, tons of close hikiing and Mt. Biking. A great small college town. Jobs will be more difficult, but it would be Bozeman hands down for me.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I live outside of Bozeman, work in Big Sky and moved here from Utah. (Park City).

Skiing? Yep we have that here. Some years it is world class, most years it is just really good. This year has been a trial, but there is a foot of new in Big Sky & 15-20" new over the last 72 hrs. This A.M. its my day off and I am going to free ski for the first time this season. (I ski at work 5 days a week).

Hiking? More than you can do in a lifetime.

Mtn Biking? You bet your ass! All kinds of great riding from classics to exploring new mountain ranges. You do have to ride in Grizzly country here at times. Some people are a little freaked by that but it adds to the flavor.
    You can even ridge here in the winter, Lewis & Clark Caverns has some nice single track that is low, well drained and faces south. I rode there last Tues. in shorts.

You forgot fishing, ice climbing, rock climbing, kayaking and floating. For outdoor activity, Bozeman is a great place.

What is the catch?

We are in the midst of a boom cycle. Housing has gone up a lot. Jonbs and wages are up as well and there are plenty of jobs in both white & blue collar sectors, but the white collar ones are competetive. Traffic is getting to be a bitch but not by SLC standards. SLC blows Bozeman away in terms of food and dining, there aren't a lot of ethnic options available. There is good live music but not that many national acts, no decent venues that seat more than 800 people. (Brick Breeden doesn't count).

Well, thats my take. Come visit and make up your own mind.

no job yet... hopefully get one at a local shop any mags know of a ski shop hiring in the fall???

I am going out to attend MSU

Bridger is sweet and you can always drive to Bigsky

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    There is good live music but not that many national acts, no decent venues that seat more than 800 people. (Brick Breeden doesn't count).
    Valley Ice Garden, JONG.

Srinagar. Lovely nearly naked women, awesome nightlife, peace and quiet.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    (Brick Breeden doesn't count).
    That's no shit. Saw Willie Nelson there in, well, a long time ago and the acoustics were so bad it was kinda like being on an audible acid trip. Not a good one either.

I live in Bozeman. What's here is good; easily accessed outdoor fun. I personally think the local music scene is horrible, one decent show a year if you're lucky, but I'm basically a city kid and I don't like bluegrass There is no good food apart from steaks. No Indian, not really any Thai, a place opened in Belgrade but apparently they were told that the locals wouldn't like spicy food so they left out the spice. That kind of isolation is getting to me.
    If you're young and you just want to ski then Bozeman will allow for that. If you want to stay a while, save few $$ and buy a place its feeling the strain of rising house prices and not-so-rising wages/salaries.

any engineering or medical/industrial sales jobs in Bozeman or the other mentioned areas?

Corndog-Who cares about Indian and Thai food? If you have The Garage then that's all you need.
    Sucks the Ice garden is closed. The Ice Dawgs are playing in a shack in the fair grounds. Somehow its always colder in there than it is outside.
    As far as engineering jobs. They're around. Big Sky Laser etc etc. But the pay is supposedly terrible compared to other locations.

It depends on what you want... Bozeman can feel pretty small and isolated sometimes, but if you're outside you won't begin to care at all..
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

I kinda laugh at all that. Bozeman used to be the big city for me. I grew up in Dillon, about 2 hours away, an hour south of Butte. If it were me, I would be tempted with Bozeman. Great ice, great skiing, and I know my way around. After spending time in Salt Lake, though, I dunno. There are almost too many people doing all the kinda stuff I like to do. Ah, ta hell with it, move to Cody. You can be one of the few skiiers, one of the even fewer ice climbers, and of the fewer yet mountain bikers! I dunno. My vote is for Bozeman, cause like was said, you have the Garage, you don't need any more, and Billings is just a hop, skip, and jump away. Just my $0.02.
    backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

what is this "Garage" you speak of??

Bozeman does sound pretty sweet and it is the only place of the three I have not visited....BUT I have heard great things about this town/city. Any Reno/Tahoe/Truckee votes out there?

What other "industries" have plants/offices in or around Bozeman??

Thanks!!

I just moved from Reno to Portland because my girlfriend wanted to get out of her hometown. I like everything about Reno except the gambling-centric downtown economy that seems to be everyone's impression of the city. That is changing though.

Great access to the Sierra and all the Tahoe resorts, 2 hrs 45 min to Mammoth, the Ruby Mountains are not too far if you want to heli or do some ambitious backcountry.

No state income tax.

The gem for me though was Mt Rose: $350 pass and 30 min from my door. Not hugely epic, but it allows for 60+ days a year easy.

So, buy my condo already.

I'll vote Tahoe. I thoroughly enjoyed my 4 years there and I'd have no problem going back. I'm not sure about the specific types of job you are looking for but I was able to find a really good job in the IT field in Reno. I lived in Incline Village. 30-45 minutes to Reno, 5 minute walk to the the lake, 15 - 45 minutes away from multiple kick ass ski resorts and on average it snows a metric ton.

Oh yeah, I forgot the mountain biking...freaking amazing.

Reno vs. SLC - What bothers you more - too dirty or too clean?

Quote Originally Posted by skiski View Post
    Reno vs. SLC - What bothers you more - too dirty or too clean?
    It's really a misconception that Reno is dirty. All the brothels that it seems to be so famous for are outside Washoe county, and even then there are only 2 or 3. Downtown is actually quite clean and nice around Wingfield Park, where they have a fun little kayak park on the Truckee river, and summertime art festivals with live music and performances in a grass amphitheater.

I wouldn't mind living in SLC either if they could conjure up real beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    It's really a misconception that Reno is dirty. All the brothels that it seems to be so famous for are outside Washoe county, and even then there are only 2 or 3. Downtown is actually quite clean and nice around Wingfield Park, where they have a fun little kayak park on the Truckee river, and summertime art festivals with live music and performances in a grass amphitheater.

I wouldn't mind living in SLC either if they could conjure up real beer.
    I really don't like Reno, especially downtown but it's very true that the city is working hard to change the reputation it has. I'm not into WW kayaking but supposedly the area they built is alot of fun when the water is flowing good. I guess they have some cool stuff going on downtown during the summer too like free concerts and shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    what is this "Garage" you speak of??

Bozeman does sound pretty sweet and it is the only place of the three I have not visited....BUT I have heard great things about this town/city. Any Reno/Tahoe/Truckee votes out there?

What other "industries" have plants/offices in or around Bozeman??

Thanks!!

Garage is a little beer and burger place, fine if you've never been to Thailand

Rightnow.com is the leading employer in town after MSU I think. Software/tech place.

Quote Originally Posted by corn dog View Post
    I believe that god himself is speaking to me, its just a feeling, but I am fairly certain I would die if I ever stepped foot in Thailand.

?? Thailand is nice. Well it was years ago when I was last there.

take a trip and research this youself .the old fashioned way

Quote Originally Posted by corn dog View Post
    the garage sucks! piss poor service everytime i have ever been there!

work...um only 322 jobs available right now
    http://bozemandailychronicle.com/cla...ain=Employment

skiing...well, bridger has got more than 40 inches of snow since february 1st!

but you should really go to SLC, please.