LA to Mammoth driving JONG question

My dilemma: I live on the westside, work in downtown, and hope to get out of work around 4:30 tomorrow. Is it worth it to drive straight from work, or just better to come home and wait out the traffic?

I appreciate the maggot wisdom and look forward to handing out change for nickels and meeting some of y'all.
    Last edited by BigKuba; 02-08-2007 at 08:33 PM.

lets see, I'm not too great with my LA freeways, but you're probably near the 10, right? So, take the 10 to the 2 to the 210, that will avoid a lot of traffic getting out of LA at that time of the day.

say what...

no way on the 4:30 jaunt...wait till 7:30 and you can be there by midnight...the 210 locks up past the 118 and the 5 is ugly too....

Unless you can be out on the most of the way out on the 210 by 5 pm, i would wait until 7 or 8 o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKuba View Post
    My dilemma: I live on the westside, work in downtown, and hope to get out of work around 4:30 tomorrow. Is it worth it to drive straight from work, or just better to come home and wait out the traffic?

I appreciate the maggot wisdom and look forward to handing out change for nickels and meeting some of y'all.
    Personally, if you are in no rush I think its best to wait. I go back and forth with it though and sometimes just charge it 430. No matter which route you go, there's traffic of some degree. Later at night, not such a big deal, less stress, but just less sleep for the next day.

I usually leave around 3-4 PM, and the 210 hardly ever has any traffic.

but I suppose it probably does increase from 4-5.

When I was in the valley, 5 north backed up near the 118 and 210 interchanges, but never too bad. Coming out of downtown you have options, your best option is to check www.sigalert.com and plotting your course before hitting the road.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Eeeexcellent [/Mr Burns voice]. Waiting also means I don't have to put down my drink and start packing 'til tomorrow
    On that note any westside mags wanna grab a beer this evening?

I'm certainly at work 'til 4 or 4:30, and I know that's just around the tipping point for traffic. My normal commute (10 and 110) isn't horrible at that time of day but the radio makes me think that most of the LA sprawl is much worse (sadly in 4 months of living here I realize I've been to or driven through about 10% of the sprawl). So thanks for the advice -- I'd never driven on some of the freeways you just mentioned.

Any of you folks heading up there this weekend?

when you get off work at 4:30, go home and sleep.

pack the car and head out at 3 a.m. get there around 7:30ish depending on how fast you drive and how often you stop. eat some breakfast, drink some coffee, put your ski boots on, and get your day started early.

Quote Originally Posted by seanpistol View Post
    when you get off work at 4:30, go home and sleep.

pack the car and head out at 3 a.m. get there around 7:30ish depending on how fast you drive and how often you stop. eat some breakfast, drink some coffee, put your ski boots on, and get your day started early.
    For non-storm weekends, this could be a good idea. However, I'll be laughing at you when you're stuck in chain controls when the lifts start turning.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.