Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A gapers opinion on next years sticks,+the duke.

so, I just got back from nonstop testing. I went through 46 skis over the past few days skiing bell to bell. Test conditions were 1-5deg, with 6 inches of new each day over a groomed base. The snow was light and fluffy. There were still windpacked and hard groomed areas to really test edge grip on. because my buddy I was testing with had the same size bsl as me, we could switch back to back for runs with similar skis to really tell the difference.
    for reference, I am 6'1, 160, 22yrs. Racing background, fat stance and I hate short turns. This might or might not have affected my opinion. All skis tested at speed. I can only get through a few tonight since I've got to catch up on skool, but post up any questions about a certain ski and I'll tell ya if I tested it and what I think. My current quiver consists of: 181 armada pipecleaners, 180 Tankers, 185 Kingswood midfats, 188 Nordica dobermann GSRs
    Rossi: I was pretty blown away by the rossi offerings this season.
    Scratch Ghetto: the FS repacement with the WRS tech is a butter smooth ride. Absorbs vibration well, arcs a nice, solid medium radius turn. The ski is playful and very light. Nice for an everyday EC ski, or the skier who wants a fun packed snow and bump ski, since the tip has a softer flex to it. Lighter skiers look here. somewhat deflected by cruddy snow, but one of my favorites in the mid 80mm catagory. 181

Scratch Brigade: the BC replacement is a sweet ski. I would put it right in line with a SethV. The brigade has energy out of a turn, unlike the K2. light and fun, the construction seemed bomber. A very carvey ski, they did well in a smattering of conditions. Nice rebound edge to edge. A good front range every day ski, easy to manipulate. I am STOKED on the scratch Steeze, but only the pro team has them right now, I have to wait a few weeks to try them. 185

Squad 191: The 194 was not there. This was the stiffest ski of the day, by far. focking rocket planks. I made half as many turns on these. not a "floaty" feeling ski, but possibly the beefcake offering of the year. super G turns at best on the hard stuff, I couldn't bend it up properly unless maching. still, slashing fast turns in icy refrozen puke, this would be the gun.

Line: Color me purple. Line had one of the best skis in test, imho.
    Prophet 100: This kills it everywhere. Light and medium stiff. Groomed, chopped pow, it does it all. more powerful feeling than the scratch. More snap out of a turn then the seth. I skied the prophet 90 and there is no reason to buy it, although it is a good ride, the 100 is that much better. Line is making a real ski kids. quite a bit of sidecut, it gets hooky at speed, but rules for inbounds stuff. a really killer ski. 186

K2:
    Apache Coomba: light, light, flat camber. This ski was much more sketch on hard snow then I anticipated. It really would not make an everyday ride imho. hard snow scared it. However, in any kind of stuff, it made predictable turns. nothing suprising, just consistant float. the tip shape just forces the ski up. throw comforts on these and have a nasty touring rig. reasonably soft, these skis are made for the long slog. 188

Hellbent: Let me say this first: TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY. I think it will be a love or hate thing. I loved it. They were the softest ski in the test. they made bacons look firm. flex it with two fingers soft, the whole way through the ski. With that out of the way
    OMFG, FUN. They are the best reverse camber ski I have been on with hard snow. THEY DO CARVE. EASILY. but, the tip flappys like mad. It doesn't really get in the way, they just flap. You can easily make it down groomers without flipping out. In soft snow, they make so many different turn shapes. rock forward and make shortys. they literally fly from edge to edge. sit neutral and point em, make two huge turns. you can break the ski free at any time. when the tip is out on the top, and it always is, they don't flop. not your haul ass DP style pow ski, but for anything else, they were amazing. Fun on hardpack too, you can literally rock up on the tips, hold it and ride that way. I would (and will) buy them in a heartbeat. the prelims are true though, nooooooooodle. but it works. 179

Volkl
    Mantra: well kids, I think the changes were for the best. The mantra became my if i could only have one ski this would be it. I would ski it anywhere. I would recommend it to someone who skis everywhere in the country. Race ski trenches on groomed, the tip is steadfast in the crud. Just watch it blow up in front of you. reasonably quick edge to edge, I found the width to be an asset in regards to stability without detracting from agility. I totally dug em. 190

DUKES: The fucking real fucking deal, and I hate marker more than most of you. In tour mode, it is laterally stiff, none of the tourwrecker slop. The flip from tour to ski is simple and metal. it should last a long time. The hinge position did not feel the most comfortable, naxo def has the edge there. climbing bails are adequate, but nothing I would want to slog all day on.
    now. When I clicked into them, I immediately popped myself back out. something had to be wrong. They locked in with a massive CLICK. If I heard that from a comp 14, I would have assumed the binding snapped. I clicked in again. There it was, these things make that joyous sound my 916 do, that sound of reassurement from a solid connection. i did it one more time just to be sure. It really seemed impossible. I set the din at 8. normally I can walk out of a marker at this setting. These were on the mantras, and I railed them as hard as I could. I landed rollers forward on purpose, I stood on em like I would a SuperG ski in the course. They did nothing. no bendy, no flex, no prerelease. They work very well. Nice metal in them. You are in them. I was impressed.
    On the downside, they were heavy as fuck. the mantra/duke combo weighed a metric ton. I would rock these sidecountry all day long, but other than that, naxo/freeride have the weight edge for sure. If you only want one ski/binding for all of it, the mantra/duke would do it all.

Goat: Sick, as always.

I was unimpressed by the new volkl twins. the wall is mushy and gross at speed. the ledge (maybe, the 90mmish one) was alright, but I felt like i was pushing it around through the turns. I thought the cheap 85mmish one was the best offering, a perfect inexpensive messing around second ski or ice coast ride. just imho, I'm sure others will love em, but if they don't like going fast, I could care less.

I skied pretty much every performance mens ski, skinny/mid/fat/twin. I'll post up some other reviews tomorrow, lmk if I can help. I find it funny that after all these skis, my Tankers are still one of the best damn skis I have ever been on. It goes to show that for all the "tech" out there, wood, metal and a sidewall goes a loooong way. Now, it someone made a 180, 115 underfoot tanker, I would cum. everywhere. then I'd buy two.
    Hunter
    Last edited by 300hp; 02-08-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3centshort View Post
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

Squatch Guest
    sweet review...I'm loving the detail.

The part about the duke makes me happy.

Excellent review, man. I like your tone.

Great News, In my opinion, abou the duke.

Ill review.

Good write ups. As far as the Duke..I am hoping that it is a "early bird gets the worm, second mouse gets the cheese" scenario...That Salomon and Tyrolia come out with their versions that will blow it away. Another plus of a Duke type binding, it stalls integrated ski/binding combos on bigger skis.
    Click. Point. Chute.

very useful job, thanks a lot. what about volkl katana? Anyone here in yurp would like to have a review of them

ditto on the massive click getting into the dukes... they feel damned secure
    Last edited by johnson416; 02-08-2007 at 02:56 AM.

kudos for the reviews, i thought the dukes were meant to be comparable to Naxos in terms of weight?
    I ski therefore I am.

i skied them only on the 191 kreitlers which is a huge ski, but the combo felt lighter than my 189 Seth / FKS 185 combo

Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    s
    Squad 191:
    You sure it wasnt a 189. Can anyone confirm the lengths for the new squads
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I am not positive on the squads.
    here are a couple more tidbits. More throughout the day.
    ARMADA:
    ARV- Hey, pocket rocket lovers, look at me! take everything you love about the PR, the light weight, the quick turning radius, low swing weight, and make one major change: A real mutherfucking core. I always liked salomons for the first week I had them. after that, it seemed like they used that foam you squirt in cracks around the house as a core. absolute dogshit spaceframe goo. The armada is all sidewall. The core has two different kinds of wood, softer in the tip, stiff underfoot. They slice groomed, fly edge to edge and have a nice, playful float to them. Pow is an easy ride. A great touring/light guy/fun ski option. an improved PR for sure. 185. Plus, the new graphics are super dooper steezy, humping Koi guppies.

AR6-This remains, in my opinion, the best skinny twin. poppy like opium, they spring off and around everything. They are torsionally stiff, they carve nice. They go fast without tip chatter. The flex is also mellow enough to make this a great park twin too. The tip contours nicely to hits and doesn't throw you back. Armada is on their shit. 181

4Frnt:
    VCT: I know you really want to be a gotama, but you got a long road ahead of you junior. A capable ski in soft snow. They are heavy from the layup. Unusually so. You figure a ski this beefy would be unstoppable. The tip on the pair I skied flapped like a ron jeremy's cock on some washed out semen filled whore. well, maybe not that bad, but it wasn't sweet. I guess the ski was "ok". Not particulary memorable. 18?

MSP: Here is your gnar kill 97mm ski. Take a SV and give it some backbone. It makes big turns. no little turns, just big ones. It might be the stiffest twin. It does not flap on ice. It is not "surfy" feeling in soft snow, but stays on top. It pulverizes wayward clumps of snow that are lost from the herd. These ski well, but are limited because of their stiffness. Go fast, turn big, enjoy.
    -I will say that the vist binding is the biggest binding turd. I never felt secure in them. THey weigh soooo much. more than dukes by a chunk. If I want a rock strapped to my foot, it might as well do something cool, like tour. The toe wing only holds the very tip of your din sole in. I was far from impressed.

In other notes:
    -Blizzard killed themselves. SYSTEM SKIS ARE FOR LITTLE bEGINNER GIRLS. I don't want them. the new titan nine is not as aggressive as my old set. Hoarde your old sets folks, these did not age like wine. They come packaged with dukes. The system is wierd, your binding is held on to the ski by one little allen head screw. a small, weak looking allen head. It slides into a track and screws down. While im sure it works fine, I want no less than 7 big screws holding my binding on. I can see slop developing in the system, since there is no front or back stop on the slide track, so if the screw got loose, you get the picture. I didn't ski the kreitler pros.

Volkl: Gotama: the standard for a moderately fat twin. they do everything and inspire confidence. I skied these and the VCTs back to back. They are totally different in every day. gots rule, vct's are not what i thought they would be.
    -technica has a sick series of freeride boots coming out, called the agent. 98-100mm last, nice liner, stomp pad, 80-120 flex. The best fit yet in a technica.
    -Dalbello broke from the norm for sure. They implemented part of an idea I have always want to: a snowboard style ratchet on a ski boot. the liners are improved from this years intuitions, which, it turns out, had quite a few "bad" batches.
    -Salomon: much new in the way of boots. freeride and park rat. You'll have to see all the new lasts. what was cool for you guys is the budget version of the SPK, the park boot. It would make an awesome bc boot. It has a 90 flex. it has a very wide toe box, it is very light, warm and comfy.
    THats all for now
    Hunter

look and rossi fucked up somehow. I watched three px14 heelpieces break. snap. kaplow. they are hard to get in and out of, and they break. the p14 was one of the best bindings ever. way to innovate, guys.

Smith has the sickest graphics coming out on their new goggles.
    and salomon could have the best touring binding out there. make a 14 din new style toe, make a worm screw heel, put it on a titanium plate that is 80mm wide, and bam. best binding ever.
    Last edited by 300hp; 02-08-2007 at 10:30 AM.
    I figure when he realized he was still 10-15 feet off as he flew the K his asshole puckered so hard it ate his nuts
    In the other scenario, you would be like "Peanut Butter, cool, fuck I'm stuck HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME oh fuck I'm screwed, but at least I have time to think about how screwed I am. I guess that is a blessing. FUCK NO IT'S NOT A BLESSSING I'M STUCK AND I'M DYING.

sounds like they drastically changed the vct according to that review

my 05/06 red 182s are pretty light and do not flap at all.

I set the din at 8. normally I can walk out of a marker at this setting. These were on the mantras, and I railed them as hard as I could. I landed rollers forward on purpose, I stood on em like I would a SuperG ski in the course.
    dude, you're a brave brave man. I'm reading this thinking you're about to take one for the team.

on a related note, for the next Jackass movie I hereby propose an all-DIN-6-marker bump off.

On the vct, it could have been a few things. I could have had a bad ski, the tune could have been way off. they were base high. I guess i shoud have a disclaimer......These were only how the skis I tested reacted. It might not be indicative of the whole line. IN softer stuff, they were really fun. On icy terrain, they were not. I felt the goats werea better all around option, the vct could have the soft snow edge.

on the dukes, I didnt want to spew about them, then have you guys get on em and find out they sucked. they seemed to work alright for me. If I was going to come out, I wanted to know about it.

Dayyummm...you're cooler than me fo sho!

Great reviews.

Great reviews man thanks - did you by any chance get to ski the Katana? I'm curious about that guy....

Also thanks for the boot news, i'm very excited to see the new Technica line - after ankle surgery i'm gonna be in the market for some new boots next year and i loved my diablos so.....

my Tankers are still one of the best damn skis I have ever been on. It goes to show that for all the "tech" out there, wood, metal and a sidewall goes a loooong way.
    Hunter
    Your Welcome

Nice review as expected

P.S. JP wants to know if you want to come over for a Pitcher

Massively awesome review. All elements of a ski’s behaviour have been covered. I have no questions...except what boots did you use to demo?

Wow, I may have to print that up and really read it. Thanks man!

Woah. All this after being hate-fucked in the eye by the airlines? Rock on.
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

biz, JP is dead to me. its all about tanner, he's alive again.
    and skiing with an eye patch is rough. Eh, I would not have gotten to do this if I went to UT, and we actually got some fresh, so that was nice.

Boots: I ski on a set of modded krypton pros. The boot has been punched an extra mm or so in order to let my foot rest flat(er), so i can really roll into a turn with the ball of my foot. They are set up with the stiff tongue, factory foward lean shim, and stiffening shim in the lowest position. I run an older thermoflex liner in them. I am very, very happy with the boots. I could drive any ski (including racestock GS ones) without any issue whatsoever, but not get shinbang jumping. After you get used to the constant pressure of the tongue and progressive flex, I don't think its possible to go back. I am about to go out tonight and fabricate what i hope will change 3 buckle boots forever, and for the better. Imagine if the top buckle was replaced by a nice wide, plush snowboard strap, and comined with elastomer booster material. Constant pressure through the flex pattern, without a hard spot on your shin + infinite on the fly adjustment from the ratchet style strap. This is my trademark motherfuckers, and if anyone kris keenan's me, I swear by their spayed cat, they'll never walk the same again. that being said, if you have any ideas on how to pull this off, please let me know

per request
    Line:
    Sir Francis Bacon-
    This was one hell of a fun ski. for a ski 115 in the waist, it edges instantly. you can practically turn it back up hill. I would buy this, but not as my only ski. The soft flex means you can bend the turd out of it when you lay them over and really control the radius of the ski. They float like no tomorrow. They are soft, but not pocket rocket soft. I would get a set for a playful ski, like as a compliment to squads, tankers or LPs. Something to ski on when you want to have a relaxing day makign turns all over the hill, playing in the trees, jumping off little booters and the like. they are very capable on hardpack. These are not a straightline ski. The tips will flap. the centerish mount makes it feel akward to really let em rip and causes you to rock into the backseat to compensate. They are a great ski for what they are, a different way to have fun on the hill. if you ski them with your legs close together, they get squirrley. ski em wide, and rock from edge to edge, almost as you would on well, a snowboard, and they really come alive.
    Thanks for all the compliments guys, if I can help with anything else, lmk, I probably skied on it. again, alot of my opinion comes from the way I ski, big turns, wide stance and rolling into the turn. I get the feeling its how alot of maggs go about it too, so the info should be applicable.
    Last edited by 300hp; 02-08-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Hey 300hp, you seem like a tinkerer. Do you think you could tinker the Dukes of their mounting plates (by replacing a rivet in the lever with a screw rivet). From my perspective (have only seen photos) it seems like they have the base of a perfect "one binding-several skis"-binding. If you could just slide the toe part completely off the pplate, you would only need an extra set of plates.

And, did you try the Katana?

for your boot idea, they made the il morra that has the snowboard style strap you talked about. pick that up, use parts from your pros, add a booster and bingo...new boot
    Last edited by naedward81; 02-08-2007 at 07:18 PM.

the sound bomber, cant wait to hear more long term results on them.
    I love that sound that 916s make, the first time i clicked into my 916s (set at 14) this year for super g, i was slightly scared, it was great
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

ok so i got a chance to test a few skis at keystone today
    me: 6'5, 220# shithouse technically compared to most other mags, kinda busted knee (going back to oz on the 17th)
    conditions: nothing but laps on the dh run next to the park (cant remember what its called) flat light, hardpack
    skis in order of testing:
    k2:
    apache crossfire: best damn carving ski ive ever been on. easy, no chatter. holds an edge like buggery. (174)

hellbent: scary on hardpack (not the worst though) soft as overcooked ramen, huge rocker, flappy, easy to spin on the ground & pivot around
    they had the loose, surfy feeling of my beat up goats so they feel like they will slide and be really fun in the pow, especially trees but they seem too soft to be any good in chopped up snow (179)

seth: holds an edge, carves nicely, felt nice and solid. best ski i tried. seth + hellbent = top choice 2 ski quiver for next year

to be continued...
    signature?