Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Lost

I don't know. I think Jack feels he has some unfinished business on the island. Maybe for whatever reason not everyone made it off and that's why he wants to go back. Remember, he was going to leave the island with Juliet until Locke blew up the submarine, so we know he doesn't require everyone else to leave as a condition for his leaving.

Even if they had an option I really doubt that Locke, Rose, Bernard, and a few others would leave the island. Just because a "rescue" is coming doesn't mean that they are going to leave the island.

In the flash forward Jack had the the KRZR that hunk of shit for a cell phone but that phone didn't come out untill late 2006 so we know that two years past before they are supposedly rescued. This def leaves a ton of space inbetween for stuff to happen.

I hope they don't get off the island anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post
    I also think that Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Michael, Sun and Claire were born on the island. But that's another story.
    hahahaha, that's another show.
    fine

doughboyshredder Guest
    Had a dream last night that reminded me of how incredibly fucking lame the ending of Lost was. From the best show ever, to a big shit sandwich in the course of two hours. What a fucking waste of time. I will never watch another series done by the same crew that reeled me in for 5 years just to fuck me over.

People like you are so annoying. How the fuck did you think they were going to end it, did you really thing they were going to tie up 7,382 loose ends in two hours? Were you entertained for five years? Yes? Then who cares if the last episode didn't quite meet your completely unrealistic expectations? Lost was about turning off your brain and enjoying the ride, that was pretty evident by season two.

doughboyshredder Guest
    Fact is that they told us the entire time that it wasn't the afterlife, and then, surprise, it's the afterlife. Yep, they all died in the plane crash. Bullshit.

They didn't need to tie up all the loose ends, but maybe just the main ones. Like 5 of them. But no, all they could come up with was some nonsense about having to be together to fully complete their transition to the other side.

Fucking lame.

Was I entertained for five years? Yeah, entertained trying to figure out what the fuck was going on. Which, the answer was, of course nothing.

You didn't understand the show, they didn't die in the place crash. They died on the island, the parallel universe of the final season was the afterlife, nothing else was. And what does it even matter anyways? I guess I don't get the mentality of people who watch a show thinking it owes you something. It's either entertaining or it isn't, if you're looking for answers read a book.

doughboyshredder Guest
    I guess that's why I read about 1000 times more than I watch TV.

Maybe I need to rewatch the finale. I only watched it once, I was so bummed on it.

I watched the first season and then gave up because I felt like I was being taken advantage of. Can anyone give me a synopsis of the series? I didn't get much help by searching online but am curious as to what "really happened," assuming there is any closure whatsoever. Ok, I'll start:

A bunch of strangers board a flight in Australia. The plane crashes and they all end up on an Island where a whiny, self-important douchesac takes the reigns. Strange shit happens. Hot chick doesn't get naked enough. Fat guy never loses any weight despite having no food.

How did it end?

doughboyshredder Guest
    no closure, no answers

I'll tell you what happens. Two talented writers create a show in which all the characters die in the opening moments of the show. The characters are trapped in a limbo/purgatory existence on a seemingly magical island where they must resolve the issues that darkened their lives. The show is envisioned as a taut cohesive story to unfold over one or two seasons. The show becomes a big hit for ABC and the executives go back to the writers and dangle big loads of money in front of them to convince them to extend the story to fill up over 100 episodes. Endless narrative padding ensues, the original focus is lost and the show wanders around in the jungle for two seasons too long and loses half its audience. Season 3 and 4 are about half filler and could easily be edited down to one season. The show starts to stray from the metaphysical themes to a more science fiction direction and by season 4, they throw in time travel and the show seems to be in the sci-fi genre. But, the writers return to the original vision of the purgatory theme at the very end and having incurred countless sci-fi narrative debts which don't pay off, the ending feels forced and many fans can't help but focus on glaring contradictions and unanswered questions. What seemed like a narrative juggling act turns out to be so many balls simply tossed out into the audience. There's a great story, talented actors and engaging characters in there but it is often obscured by all the padding and loose ends. The show's creators even admitted that they had wanted to conclude the story at the end of season 4 but the network and the producer wanted 100+ episodes. Eh, whaddaya expect from Hollywood...the revolution will not be televised.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 02-06-2011 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    I'll tell you what happens. Two talented writers create a show in which all the characters die in the opening moments of the show. The characters are trapped in a limbo/purgatory existence on a seemingly magical island where they must resolve the issues that darkened their lives. The show is envisioned as a taut cohesive story to unfold over one or two seasons. The show becomes a big hit for ABC and the executives go back to the writers and dangle big loads of money in front of them to convince them to extend the story to fill up over 100 episodes. Endless narrative padding ensues, the original focus is lost and the show wanders around in the jungle for two seasons too long and loses half its audience. Season 3 and 4 are about half filler and could easily be edited down to one season. The show starts to stray from the metaphysical themes to a more science fiction direction and by season 4, they throw in time travel and the show seems to be in the sci-fi genre. But, the writers return to the original vision of the purgatory theme at the very end and having incurred countless sci-fi narrative debts which don't pay off, the ending feels forced and many fans can't help but focus on glaring contradictions and unanswered questions. What seemed like a narrative juggling act turns out to be so many balls simply tossed out into the audience. There's a great story, talented actors and engaging characters in there but it is often obscured by all the padding and loose ends. The show's creators even admitted that they had wanted to conclude the story at the end of season 4 but the network and the producer wanted 100+ episodes. Eh, whaddaya expect from Hollywood...the revolution will not be televised.
    So they were "dead" from the "beginning?"

And I genuinely appreciate the subtext of the hollywood marketing/money machine and have no problem believing that your synopsis is accurate, but I am just wondering about the story, or lack thereof.

Yes, they were dead from the beginning in the original draft of the story. But the story got extended and extended until that ending didn't really fit anymore. So, they split the narrative in season five between the endgame on the island (Jack vs man in black) and all the characters in a limbo Los Angeles where the crash had never happened. But in the Limbo world, the show makes clear that everything on the island DID happen in reality and LA was the dream world. Basically, the writers attempted to have it both ways and the sum was less than the whole of its parts.

i gave up on this series about half the way into season 3. been thinking to go back but is the rest of the series worth a watch?

Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Yes, they were dead from the beginning in the original draft of the story. But the story got extended and extended until that ending didn't really fit anymore. So, they split the narrative in season five between the endgame on the island (Jack vs man in black) and all the characters in a limbo Los Angeles where the crash had never happened. But in the Limbo world, the show makes clear that everything on the island DID happen in reality and LA was the dream world. Basically, the writers attempted to have it both ways and the sum was less than the whole of its parts.
    Ah, thanks.

What was the deal with that underground bunker? I watched a random episode or two where they had to hit a button down there to prevent something or other from happening.

Also, feel free to tell my to fuck off and sit through the same crap others had to.

I enjoyed the show so I would recommend sitting through it like everyone else. The bunker was one of many Dharma Project installations and was destroyed in the season two finale. The full story of the bunker and "the incident" leading to its construction is detailed in season 4.