Review of AK King Salmon

It seems like I've gotten a few questions from people thinking about buying these skis. Now that I've gotten a few days on them, its time to post up some thoughts

Stats: I'm 5'11", 165lbs. Decent skier, I'd say advanced but by no means expert. I bought the King Salmons as an everyday bridger bowl ski. There isn't very much open terrain to let a big ski run and I thought the 180's would be perfect in the tightlines/ bumps that bridger has.

Construction: Seems to be bomber. Only a couple days, so its hard to tell. Hit some rocks under the 5"'s of blower at bridger and they were fine. Stopped and sidestepped on some rocks with only mild scratches to show for it. If anywhere is bad to skis, its Bigsky and they've handled it well.

Groomers: Early season in montana has been about groomer or coreshots... and sometimes coreshots while skiing groomers. Definately hold an edge very well. Great GS turns with some pop coming out of the turns; a fun and stable ski.

Crud: I found it best to use the quickness of this ski to dance around the true crud piles. The tips definately get pushed around when making gs turns with reckless abandon but I think that is to be expected with a 180cm ski. I think the extra length of bigger skis helps them ride over deformaties in the snow.

Bumps: Really quick edge to edge because they are pretty light. No problems in the bumps, but as before, there isn't much straightlining mogul finds like a bigger ski could.

Steep terrain: Very confidence inspiring on steep terrain. Good edge hold/quick edge to edge when making tight turns, good stability when opening the turns up.

Powder: I mounted on the line and I think thats a great place for the KS as an everyday ski. Bridger final got some fresh this week. At low speeds the tips dive with a centered stance,hit moderate speeds and they ride about 5mm above the surface (it was fun to watch them while straightlining some blues) With speed they rise to the top. Slight shift of the weight back and this was all rectified.

Rec's: I bought these as an everyday ski. Mounted on the line it is turning out to be everything that I wanted. The only limitation was the sun-affected crud performance, but I would have been much happier on bigdaddies at that point. If you want these to be powder skis, I'd mount them back 1-1.5cm to help the tips stay up as you drive the ski.
    Last edited by XtrPickels; 02-02-2007 at 11:41 AM.

sounds like a fun ski, construction looks really bomber just wish they'd made them in a 190.
    I ski therefore I am.

yeah. A 190 in this, would be a ski that alot of people would enjoy.
    I'd like to try them against some 180 'sploders if any wants to let me take some out...

Nice review Pickels.

I scored these probably around the same time you did, but never stumbled upon your review.

I actually bought them to replace a pair of 177 Mantras which grew to feel really short.

Granted there's only 3cm difference between my old Mantras and the KS, the ski is totally different and in many ways much more versatile than the Mantra.

You pretty much sum up everything I felt about them. Great "all-mountain" set of planks, taking into consideration the lameness of said term, that is.

The only time they threw me was in total sun baked mashed potatoes. But some of that is my lack of skill in that kind of ski sucking crud. They got tossed around in that something fierce. Also crust on fluff, but again that was me trying to drive through it head first rather than sitting back and riding it.

Overall, a great ski that likes to run and definitely rides a long longer than it's 180 length would seem.

As for this: just wish they'd made them in a 190..."

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=62620
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I just broke my KS in yesterday at sugar bowl. last year i could not find the sweet spot on an 8800 or explosiv. or an nokaoi before that.

the KS really is the most fun ski i've been on in years. it's faster and more stable than my old g4s, but also softer and more forgiving. that's carbon over titanal. they eat crud, windblown, hard pack and ankle deep pow. i mounted at the line and they were perfect.

they will go exactly where you point them, no deflection, no worries. enough edge to check turns or link em up in steep spots. they give you confidence in your skiing and first day out, there was no hestiation on the KS. the folks at AK told me I'd love them. they were right.
    Daddy never sleeps at night...

funny, it takes me forever to find the sweet spot on my Nokies! I really have to work those puppies.

i find the KS to be a little more forgiving while still having the same bomber construction.

also both of those skis ride a lot longer than they're meager 180cm length. they feel like they ski long, if you know what i mean.

i swapped out some 177cm Mantras for the 180cm KS and a few folks were like "Dude, 3cm isn't going to be that noticeable." Not sure what's in the KS over the Mantra, but for a ski that's comparable in length they feel a helluva lot longer. I found them to be a bit more versatile than the Mantra, as well. Especially on hardpack and lunar grooves.

can't wait to get back out on 'em come mid-Jan.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

all bro's are from AK now?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby686 View Post
    are all 2008 PMGear bro skis from AK or just the new 183 and Superbro 191? Like what about the 179 Superfat? The 183 looks nice - construction looks same as the KS on that too. The 179 has the rubber addition so I can't tell if the construction is Aldo.

anyone know?

thought they skiied true

i thought they were pretty true to the 180 size. maybe even shorter feeling than the 178 NKO. The width of the KS helps on any chunk or crust and it the straighter sidecut helps for offpiste. i never liked the tail action on the NKO...kind of hooky. i agree, more forgiving than the NKO and still bomber. i crashed into a friggin stump, domed myself and the skis survived with a minor PTEX.

the KS is nice and easy on anything hard. and easy in the steep breakaway stuff, too. more feel underfoot than the volkls b/c of the light weight. except for an old carver vectris. but these are wide incomparison.

i liked them, as you can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    funny, it takes me forever to find the sweet spot on my Nokies! I really have to work those puppies.

i find the KS to be a little more forgiving while still having the same bomber construction.

also both of those skis ride a lot longer than they're meager 180cm length. they feel like they ski long, if you know what i mean.

i swapped out some 177cm Mantras for the 180cm KS and a few folks were like "Dude, 3cm isn't going to be that noticeable." Not sure what's in the KS over the Mantra, but for a ski that's comparable in length they feel a helluva lot longer. I found them to be a bit more versatile than the Mantra, as well. Especially on hardpack and lunar grooves.

can't wait to get back out on 'em come mid-Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by ansel4powsident View Post
    are all 2008 PMGear bro skis from AK or just the new 183 and Superbro 191? Like what about the 179 Superfat? The 183 looks nice - construction looks same as the KS on that too. The 179 has the rubber addition so I can't tell if the construction is Aldo.

anyone know?
    The skis AK made for PM Gear are the 164, 174, 183 and 195.
    We're making the 179, 179 Fat, 188, 192, and will be churning out some 186 and 196 rockers in a month or so. Aldo's construction to our specs exceeded our expectations. After working with a bunch of hosers who said they could build Bros, but couldn't, it has been an absolute pleasure to work with Aldo again. He really nailed it. The skis are everything he said they'd be and they ski fantastic, the workmanship is top of the line and the construction is better than virtually every ski out there. We couldn't be happier.

I had the 183's out at Mammoth before this last storm cycle, so it was still pretty boney. While I did scratch the base a bit, they took it exceptionally well, with no core shots. These are tough skis, and the top sheets are money. Mounted them 3mm forward and they did well in the crud and groomers. I seemed to be struggling in the little powder, but I think that is operator error.

Heading out after Christmas to really put them to the test. Splat, will you please deliver a couple feet of pow next week, thanks in advance.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot