Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dynafit: Brakes ot leashes?

What do people think about using brakes with dynafit bindings? Seems like most people i see with dynafits don't use brakes. Leashes pose an problem in avi terrain and using nothing seems risky. I have read of people using leashes designed to break in a slide, but stay put in a small fall. Seems like it would be difficult to construct such a system. What are the downsides of the brakes besides a little extra weight? Do they get in the way? I read Johnathan S's thread, but though i would see what others think. Thanks.

Leashes = death

Dynafit brakes suck. They make switching between DH and tour mode a pain. If you are going to use them, I recommend not using the back clip that keeps them on. Just bend the clip on the actual brake so you can take them off easier when you figure out how much they suck.

I go leashless, never had a problem with the tlt style toe piece. I did lose one of the shitty tri steps on helens but fortunately it went into a gully about 100 feet down. I think Lou has leash ideas on his site, Wildsnow, if you haven't been there.

The brakes are light but they do get in the way a bit when transitioning, as Nate S says. I use them but occasionally remove them if I know my tour is rolling terrain.

The breakaway leash idea is a good one but it's one more thing to phuck with when your buddies are skiing down the hill.

leashes with cable tie
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

No brakes, since they are an all-around PITA, and I ski fairly conservatively in the bc so biffing and ejecting is rare. Usually use some kind of leash but due to breakage of said leashes I've been leashless for a bit now. Intending to rig something up along the lines that Lou Dawson describes.

So do you guys ski Dynifits inbounds or sidecountry without leashes or brakes? Do you lock the toes into walk mode? If so, wouldn't that sort of negate the whole reason to have some kind of releasable binding?

Sorry to JONG out, but just curious as I struggle with the same question on mine. Been using leashes so far, but they are a PITA big time.

I've skied mine a few times in bounds in years gone by, in that case I put brakes on. Biffing and finding the (comfort) brakes laying in the snow, and having to shove them back on before I could continue skiing, convinced me to get alpine gear
    I would not ski at the resort with locked toes.

ive got brakes on mine.
    for inbounds theyre great.

when Ive been touring on them in the bc, ive been pretty annoyed with the brakes if im doing a lot of traversing out. granted I just really learned about the van halen trick, which while not taking you straight to touring mode, will release your heel.

i have found no reason what so ever to lock my toe. I dont huck, but I have skied these things hard inbounds and through bumps.

brakes are also nice in the bc when you're putting your skis on.
    helps to keep them from sliding around a lot.

The only time I have locked the toes is skiing exposed no fall lines where I really don't want the skis coming off.

I leave the toes locked all the time, they still release. I have heard it's around a 12 DIN but obviously wouldn't trust that to be consistent. I have skied them at the resort once or twice to figure out new skis, probably should have put the brakes on for safety sake but no one said anything...

As for getting you skis on, just shove the tail into the snow.

Even if you aren't going to ski with them locked, I would go through the process like you are then unlock them to make sure the toe piece is set.

(Almost) every time I put them on they've got skins on.
    Last edited by corn dog; 02-01-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate s View Post
    I leave the toes locked all the time, they still release. I have heard it's around a 12 DIN but obviously wouldn't trust that to be consistent. I have skied them at the resort once or twice to figure out new skis, probably should have put the brakes on for safety sake but no one said anything...

As for getting you skis on, just shove the tail into the snow.

Even if you aren't going to ski with them locked, I would go through the process like you are then unlock them to make sure the toe piece is set.
    it sounds like a lot depends on the skier in how well they hold you in.
    While I might ski them hard, its probably not nearly as hard as others.
    I might also be a bit smoother on them, who knows.

Sometimes shoving the tails into snow isnt an option if you have a twin\turned up tail.

I strongly echo that comment about locking the toe to begin. I step in the toe, set it to locked, pivot my toe a few times to clear out any snow from the little grooves in the pins, stomp my heel down, and set to ski mode. I dont clean out my toe sockets in the boot nor do I put in grease. Never once had a problem with snow buildup. It might catch up with me one day, but so far theyve been bomber.

Having now used Dynafits with both brakes and leashes, each has its advantages in my experience. And with the second spring removed, I don't really notice the difference in the ease of manipulating the heel unit.
    A friend has my info up on his website now:
    http://www.nerandorace.com/dynafit_brake.html
    http://www.nerandorace.com/dynafit_leash.html

Personally, I don't use brakes or leashes and lock the toe down. As stated, you can definitely still release when the toe is locked. Having the toe locked does not affect the vertical heel release - I've crashed forward a few times and come out of the heel normally. However, locking the toe will certainly greatly increase the difficult of a lateral release which is the concern of many.

I'll probably rig up some simple leashes for the spring. The ones that come with the binding are a mess - I ditched mine the instant I saw how bulky and silly they were. Very un-Swiss of Dynafit. Some sort of breakable leash is probably the way to go. I've seen simple leashes on friends' Dynafits that are easy to use and would break free in an avy.

I am using brakes and have been happy with them. But the leash in JS's friend pic is relly interesting

I have a few extra pairs of those leashes made up if anyone is interested in that design yet doesn't want to bother making a pair from scratch.

Jonathan,

PM sent.

Thread bump for the newer/radical dynafits. What is the consensus on brakes?

Dynafit: Brakes ot leashes?

Unless your taking your skis on and off a lot at the resort, brakes are a big waste of weight. I usually snicker a bit inside when I see someone lugging them around in the backcountry (ie most of my friends), especially in powder.

Did someone says Snickers? I love me some Snickers when out touring. Brakes are awesome.
    But only if you are strong enough to handle the extra weight. Or it could ruin your entire day/season
    with all the extra heft.

I use brakes or B & D leashes, I find the Dynafit brakes don't work all that great if the piste is the least bit hard either above tree line in the BC or on a groomer

The B & D work great, are lighter and you can do every thing you need to with them still attached cuz they stretch 6'

I wana see someone snickering as they chase a loose ski
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Second vote for B&D. IME key rings work well as a fuse.

I found the short Dynafit and G3 wire leashes work great, until you need them, when they break (5 in two years). Now using cut down, old style, ankle wrapping webbing leashes that I had stashed, cut down to work in the same way. They work well, seem much more secure, and were free.

B&D leashes on our powder touring skis. Shortie Dynafit leashes on our spring/summer touring skis.