Prophet 100 Review

Me: I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs. I've put about 35 days on my 186 cm prophets (133.5-100-125) at Alyeska and a single day heliskiing in Valdez. I've skied a lot of powder, crud, super-heavy wet snow, and slush. I'm fairly aggressive but am by no means the best skier on my mountain.

General Flex: From everything I've read and from what the folks in the shops had to say, the prophets are stiffer than the Seths, Gotamas, BC Scratchs, and Guns, but softer than the Mojo 105s. I'd say these skis have a fairly active flex, which is great if you like to spring out of your turns. However, because of their softness and length, they will get tossed around a bit in heavy crud or at the highest speeds.

Powder: Awesome. They're super-easy to turn but fairly stable when bombing. I'd say they're at their best in the trees, where they are very nimble.

Steeps: These skis kill Aly's Christmas and New Year's Chutes, which is a 45-50 degree, 10'-40'-wide chute that drops about 1500 feet before opening up. Again, these skis are shockingly nimble. Also, the skis' light weight makes it easy to throw them around or do Scott Schmidt-style jump turns when needed. They've felt fine doing 10' to 20' hucks.

Crud: Fine. I tend to do big GS turns pretty fast and the Prophets are pretty stable under foot. But I reckon there are more stable skis for those people who truly mach through the stuff (maybe the Mojo 105s).

Bumps and Groomers: At 100mm in the middle, they aren't super quick from edge to edge. But they have a good sidecut (33.5) and are fairly stiff for wide twins. Bumps are very doable and even fun although the longer tails take a little getting used to.

Park: I haven't really tried other park skis (other than my old Line Skogens), but I'm more than comfortable on these skis in the park. The light enough to to throw 5s and even 7s off of medium-sized jumps and provide a pretty stable platform when landing. I don't plan on taking them on any rails.

Size: The 186s are very nimble yet fairly stable at high speeds. I'm not sure why Line doesn't make a larger size, say ~192 cm. Anyhow, I'd recommend people to go bigger with these skis.

Durability: A lot of people seem to gripe about Line skis, particularly the older lines. But I haven't heard any complaints about the Prophets. The newer Lines are apparently made by K2. Anyhow, I've hit my fair share of rocks and tree bits so far with minimal damage. No signs of delam.

Caveat: My old big-mountain skis were six-year-old mid fats (X-screams). This is my first time on fat skis, so I have no basis of comparison with similar skis like Seths and Gotamas.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 05-05-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Do you know the weight on these?

I have no idea. They felt really light in the store. But I've got old, heavy bindings on them, so I can't really tell.

nice review. Mrs.BLS has been eyeing the 172s as a nice everyday ski but was not sure how they would be for quock techincal switches. From your review it sounds like they are pretty easy to toss around.

I've got 4 days on the Prophets (179) mounted with Hammerheads. I've only used them on groomers and hardpack since it doesn't seem to snow in the Sierra anymore. I'm 6'3" and 185 and as much as I love my Jaks (totems) these are better. The tails are kinda long and it took me a couple of runs to get used to them. These are my new everyday skis. Can't wait for the next storm to try them in something soft. If it doesn't snow soon I'm moving to Alaska.

i haven't heard anything about durability issues with line, just the invaders, while all their other skis seem pretty good. and the invaders were a factory defect in manufacturing...i could explain it, but bottom line is they delammed really easy. K2 bought out Line, but does not produce line skis, they use their own method but do have access to the K2 facilities for R&D. they are produced in the same factory in China, but obviously use different materials and different presses and such. this is good, as they do not have the main fault of K2 skis, which is the pressed in camber as opposed to making it with camber before the pressing stage, this is the reason why K2s lose their camber completely. also the fatty base and edge that line uses is really good, probably the strongest edges in the business, and the double thick base makes it harder to get core shots. as far as the cap construction, they seem to hold up well as long as you don't get the cheap models (ie invader). as proof, look, you'll see old motherships quite frequently depending on where you live. also nice about the prophet 100s is the metal matrix, which is a sheet of titanium in the ski that makes it stiffer.
    "Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michelangelo

I'm riding the Proph 100s at 172. Went with the 172s over the 179s as I'm 5'8" and only a high intermediate skier at best.

The 172s, turns out, are perfect for me to navigate through trees. This is a huge plus. Since I live in the Midwest (cue the laughing), I've spent plenty of time on my Prophets on groomers. They don't like groomers very much, but I can swish turns back and forth on them no problem. The couple times I've had them out west, as the OP said, they killed it in the powder. The trees at Brighton were the best time I've had on these skis to date, and then skiing the soft, cruddy snow in Mineral Basin was a treat too, navigating them through some of the narrower terrain. So I'll back up the OP on all these points.

As ryanvdonk said, Line has recently been notorious for delams. As he also mentioned, it's very common on the Invaders. However, all the Lines I've seen this year (production was split between Europe and China for a while this season, I believe), they haven't had any problems. I'm knocking on wood right now, however.

Great info thread on the Prophet 100s. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fonixmunkee View Post
    I'm riding the Proph 100s at 172. Went with the 172s over the 179s as I'm 5'8" and only a high intermediate skier at best.

The 172s, turns out, are perfect for me to navigate through trees. This is a huge plus. Since I live in the Midwest (cue the laughing), I've spent plenty of time on my Prophets on groomers. They don't like groomers very much, but I can swish turns back and forth on them no problem. The couple times I've had them out west, as the OP said, they killed it in the powder. The trees at Brighton were the best time I've had on these skis to date, and then skiing the soft, cruddy snow in Mineral Basin was a treat too, navigating them through some of the narrower terrain. So I'll back up the OP on all these points.

As ryanvdonk said, Line has recently been notorious for delams. As he also mentioned, it's very common on the Invaders. However, all the Lines I've seen this year (production was split between Europe and China for a while this season, I believe), they haven't had any problems. I'm knocking on wood right now, however.

Great info thread on the Prophet 100s. Thanks.

correct, i wouldn't worry too much about delams unless your on invaders, especially if you have any of the prophet lline, pollard promodels, or the the chronics (or blend). and this seems to be the only really problem with lines recently, so if you're some burly ass skier who thinks they might make the tips delam, rivit those babies, then you'll have peace of mind (though chances are your fine). and if you don't rivet, and the ski do delam, you'll be happy to know line stands behind their product and will replace your delam skis, they're really good with warrentees and have been known to replace skis beyond the warrentee period.
    "Wise man say forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Astar View Post
    I've got 4 days on the Prophets (179) mounted with Hammerheads. I've only used them on groomers and hardpack since it doesn't seem to snow in the Sierra anymore. I'm 6'3" and 185 and as much as I love my Jaks (totems) these are better. The tails are kinda long and it took me a couple of runs to get used to them. These are my new everyday skis. Can't wait for the next storm to try them in something soft. If it doesn't snow soon I'm moving to Alaska.
    Don't worry. These kinds of slow starts in the Sierra always seem to end with epic storms in Februrary and March. And I think the Prophet 100s are the perfect ski for a place like Kirkwood.

I'm curious about why you're skiing the 179s though, considering your size. More flexibility for the park?

I know it's coming sooner or later AK. Over the past 5 years I moved from 185 pocket rockets to 184 TMEXs and then to the 180 Karhu Jaks. I never felt that the Jaks were to short and so I chose 179 over the 186 in the prophet 100s. I don't play in the park but I sure like how quick these are as a telly ski.

I am 5'10", 200lbs...

I had the 06 Prophet 100 in a 179, and I just found it too short....

this year, I got the 07 in 186,and I love it. I have them mounted 1cm back of center, but still has a long tail....these things are the best skis I have ever owned, and they are very durable. I am so glad I got these again, and I would recommend them to anyone that likes big turns on groomers, trees, crud (they rail GS turns through crud, probably these skis strongpoint), and pow...they do it all...

These are my everyday ski, and I have the prophet 130 for the BIG days, although there have been NONE of those in CO for me this year!

anyway, Prophet 100 is the shizznit.....

+2 on going longer. I've skied the 179's twice this year and recently in a dump cycle on Hood. I'm 6'2 210 and was not that comfortable on the 179's. Lots of chatter and didn't track that great in the deep crud. No doubt the 186's would be the way to go, but I couldn't get my hands on them. Great side-cut and feels quick for a 100mm waisted ski.
    "If you ain't gonna get it on, take your dead-ass home." - Bootsy Collins

"They are still the same psycho fucktard sociopathic losers they've always been. Best o' luck with that, guys." - Splat

I had the 186's in their first year. It was a good ski, and I played with positions from +2 to -2 (given that the center set of holes is considered center.) I think -1 is just about right. I liked them too, in most conditions. For hauling balls in the powder, I found their healthy sidecut a little much, it seemed like they were a little turny. I replaced them with the VCT/EHP 190.

I skimmed so I don't know if it was mentioned, but the Karhu Jak Team is the exact same ski as the prophet. I have the Jak Team in 186 mounted with FR+ and I love them for mild touring and even inbounds.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post

Steeps: These skis kill Aly's Christmas and New Year's Chutes, which is a 45-50 degree, 10'-40'-wide chute that drops about 1500 feet before opening up.
    Sorry dude, you might want to buy an inclinometer and measure some slope angles. If you try hard and go off left or right in the rocks you will find some 50 degree turns but the gut of the chute is low 40's or less in a deep year. Don't take it personal, it's crazy how 95% of folks overestimate slope angles , I don't know if it's fear, ego trip or probably because they have never measured., I mean really, everyone skis 50 degrees switch on 150mm underfoot boards and has a 14" schlong.

I think it's crazy when someone necro's a 3 year old post while trying to correct someone.
    Training for Alpental

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvdonk View Post
    i haven't heard anything about durability issues with line, just the invaders, while all their other skis seem pretty good. and the invaders were a factory defect in manufacturing...i could explain it, but bottom line is they delammed really easy. K2 bought out Line, but does not produce line skis, they use their own method but do have access to the K2 facilities for R&D. they are produced in the same factory in China, but obviously use different materials and different presses and such. this is good, as they do not have the main fault of K2 skis, which is the pressed in camber as opposed to making it with camber before the pressing stage, this is the reason why K2s lose their camber completely. also the fatty base and edge that line uses is really good, probably the strongest edges in the business, and the double thick base makes it harder to get core shots. as far as the cap construction, they seem to hold up well as long as you don't get the cheap models (ie invader). as proof, look, you'll see old motherships quite frequently depending on where you live. also nice about the prophet 100s is the metal matrix, which is a sheet of titanium in the ski that makes it stiffer.
    Prophets and moships seem to be durable, while Afterbangs, Anthems, Invaders, and Chronics(so probably Chronic Crypts. and Blends) have had many problems.

I've been wanting to try Prophet 100s and 195 Motherships, it looks like they are different from the Line skis I've tried and disliked(CHronics, Anthems, Invaders, Bacons, Lizzies, Blends). I haven't liked any line ski yet(with the exception of messing around in small pillow fields and park on EPs, but they're way too soft for me to ever buy).

Quote Originally Posted by TBski View Post
    Sorry dude, you might want to buy an inclinometer and measure some slope angles. If you try hard and go off left or right in the rocks you will find some 50 degree turns but the gut of the chute is low 40's or less in a deep year. Don't take it personal, it's crazy how 95% of folks overestimate slope angles , I don't know if it's fear, ego trip or probably because they have never measured., I mean really, everyone skis 50 degrees switch on 150mm underfoot boards and has a 14" schlong.
    I think I based the 45-50 angle on what I read somewhere (isn't the Internet 100% accurate???) and not on my own estimation, which probably would have been even more retarded. But I don't really care.

Anyhow, since this thread has been unearthed, I'd like to take the opportunity to say that I still have my Prophet 100s, and while I don't ski them as much as I used to (in part because I don't ski inbounds as much), these skis still fucking rock.