Pic-less psuedo TR: at least it snowed...

(apologies for no pic's in advance... )

Went to Boyne Mtn this weekend... given the miserable season we've had in the Midwest I did not expect much. To further set up the duck, Ullr threw some very nasty freezing drizzle at us for the last hour of the drive... I wasn't saying anything to kill the stoke but I was getting an un-good feeling. Off mountain coverage on the way in was thin but when the hill came into view it was apparent that the guns had done their work it looked pretty good... that was 8:30.

Fast forward 2 hours and several groomer runs that were extremely satisfying given that I was working on an "0 for" for the season. What's this? White manna from heaven? A few flakes turned into an honest dump with the visibility cut to about 100 yards or so at time... it started to pile up. By early afternoon the trees were good to go and boot top to midcalf was had with the occasional knee deep (if you found a pocket and got real low!).

All bets were off: This was a legitimate (if shallow) powder day in Michigan. Friends and girl friend were abandoned and the rest of the afternoon was spent in a stash to stash dash trying to get what could be got. Unfortunately when you have 10,000 people on a 416 acre "resort" the freshies spoil quickly and tracked but soft crud was the main course. The fun-o-meter however, was pegged!

More snow fell Saturday night and Sunday morning dawned Bluebird. Spent the morning playing in the woods and found some here and there. Not the deepest. Not the driest. But it was honest to goodness snow! At one point, riding the Meadows chair, the PA system on the Nastar course was blasting U2's "Beautiful Day"... all was right in the universe.

The afternoon was spent ripping up groomers and crud and smiling, lots of smiling!!
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

This thread is worthless without pics....
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

we rallied up to caTTlelack midday fri just early enough and west enough to miss the freezin drzzzl...

"1/24/07 -Snowfall at the Summit of South Peak"

skied fri nite & sat at the 'fae which has great coverage- I got some solo daddytime satmorn and found some floof laying about needing to be slayed, sure slapped lots of treetwigs divin around for softies...

"1/27/07 - The double black diamond, I-75"
    kids had fun but the congestion of highspeed gapers is scary sometimes- kidshredder helmetzone fo shiz- people just don't see 'em...
    like anywhere, it'd be better midweek if/when we could...

got good boyne/nubs/schuss/crystal reviews from my momNlaw who's on the skiFree side of 70yrs now- she loves to let me know how good (&free!) it's been all over the northern mitt- dang dirtbag skibums with no other responsibilites....

edit to add pics to the pseudo TR from the caberfae site- nice quote on there Indy
    Last edited by baseWeldr; 01-29-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks!

The INDY family spent the weekend up at Swiss again, the snow was freaking amazing at times. It started in the late afternoon on saturday with a really nice inh or two of light-n-dry fluff. Then it HIT, there were times when you couldn't make out the lights it was snowing so hard, this continued on and off and first thing sunday morning was another legitimate POWDER day at Swiss Valley. My Second this year! The snow continues to fall all night and into today, not expected to let up until tomorrow after another 6-8" accumulates. There are some sandy hills nearby that I will try to hit wednesday morning when the gettings really good! Pics to follow.

The snow is really off the hook in SW Michigan right now. Too bad we don't have the vert to match it!