Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My daughter is 6 months now, and I look forward to backpacking with her this summer (she turns 1 in August). I have a nice Kelty K.I.D.S. pack I bought from a friend who's kid out grew it. I am just thinking short hikes around Vedauwoo and along the Laramie River. See how she likes it first....

Quote Originally Posted by William Murderface View Post
    My dad used to ski with me in the pack, and people used to say shit to him about how irresponsible it was, even though it was only going on greens and blues. They still have pictures of me in the pack- all smiles.
    Yes, I know that feeling. I answered the same question in another ski forum and I was blasted as being totally irresponsible.

Anyway, I did it with my first daughter a few times when she was one and she loved it. One the first outing, I made a phone call to the ski area to see if they had a problem with it (no they didn't).

I eventually got stopped by some patroller saying I couldn't do it (sorry, the area said it was okay). Then he proceeded into going to see Mountain Admin to see if they can give me a refund (while we're waiting at the lift with other patrollers), he can back with nothing to show from Admin (I was okay and they wouldn't refund me).

I wasn't skiing bumps and even blacks runs, it wasn't cold, my wife was also with me.

It's a personal decision, as I told many other people, I was less worried to have my daughter on my back than when she started skiing on her own. I believe the odds of a kids being hurt are greater when they are on their own skis at 2 or 3 and having someone hit them than being on a good skiers backpack.

We wanted to do the same thing 5 years later with the youngest daughter, however she never like the backpack when hiking and always wanted to get out and walk. So we never even try to bring her on the hill.

Anyways, both of them are 9 and 4 and they ski on their own.

Have fun in the snow...

Our son is now seven months...and I take him in the backpack as did my folks.
    I never take him out longer than 1 hour...which is long enough to get my blood pumping and he is about done with it by then. I also don't go out when it is windy or below 25 degrees. His skin is very tender and gets pretty chapped if its much colder.

I x-country ski with him and snow shoe....I personally think BC would be very hard for reasons explained above...you just never know. But remember you are the parent...You know best...

Be careful and have fun...Go do your BC when Grandma or a friend can watch the baby...its a lot easier that way...We actually found a babysitter on this forum when we went on a skiing trip for 5 days...that way we could take the little bugger.

I thing it is okay to ski with kids, but as Patrick said it has been debated on other forums, and many people are very much against it. My only comment, as you have already addressed, is to wait until the kid has good strong neck muscles, more than just being able to hold up his/her head. I didn't ski with my daughters, but pulled them all over in a bike trailer, and that is probably a lot more dangerous, and no one ever gave me a hard time. Kids love it. I have never seen an un-happy kid in a backpack while skiing or on a bike seat/ trailer. They just love it, and it is a great way to get them to sleep.

Use your own judgment. You will know what to do and when.

A little kid stoke to counter the nabobs of negativity.

not to mention a chance to spread a little Newt stoke. I miss that guy.
    Little Owen is gonna be one hell of a skier. He started young enough!
    . . .

great stoke you guys!! Thanks!

Just be careful I guess (and I'm sure you will be). I'm sure they will love it -- how could they not. But keep in mind that if you fall backwards your weight plus the forces from the fall could easily crush your childs very fragile body.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

As the father of 2, I would vote NO for skiing (even walking in ski boots on icy ground with a baby on my back would scares me), and yes to hiking as soon as the baby can hold his head.
    Just make really sure he/she won't freeze... Babies over-heat or get cold very easily.

Actualy, I like norcascadielady's take on the issue.
    ... and Telemike's first pic freaks me out (Can't help myself. I'm sure you're a great dad and all...)
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Thumbs up

We took out 5 month old daughter snowshoeing with us on Christmas Day and she loved it. Even better was knowing that mom and dad could continue our outdoor activities!

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    turning a baby into a hippy before it can even walk is not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    turning a baby into a hippy before it can even walk is not cool.
    Where's Cartman when he's needed?

Quote Originally Posted by skibee View Post
    Mntlion want to borrow a baby pack, a cabbage patch kid and strap on extra avi gear to it and hit up the Dive... "Yeah I got a partner, yeah he has his own beacon!!!"

eeeggcelent!
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by cascadianwarrior View Post
    We took out 5 month old daughter snowshoeing with us on Christmas Day and she loved it. Even better was knowing that mom and dad could continue our outdoor activities!

This pic is awesome. Gets me sooo stoked!!

In Anchortown looking to get my career on track
    Let me first preface this with I am not a parent (I am still too selfish to have children and still haven't found the wife yet), however, i have seen a few parents out with their kids in the backcountry with kids on their backs get into some BAD situation's. I have seen parents fall on their child when a binding blew out, another crossed tips and cartwheeled. In both cases, the baby was VERY lucky there were no immediate signs of injury, but longterm, you can't tell what these falls may cause. Even if you are on gentle terrain with everything in your favor, something can still cause an avi to rip loose, you can still fall, someone can still ski into you, wildlife can still have issues you etc. All of these are somewhat managible if you are w/o child, but add a child into the equation and your mindset is even more unclear. I agree with everyone on hiking when the child has enough neck strength to support their own skull.

All in all, in the end you are the parent and are responsible for the childs well being and must make the decisions to the best of your knowledge.

Just my $.02
    Last edited by dk_alaskan; 02-01-2007 at 06:17 PM.
    Our world is full of surrender at the first sign of adversity, do not give up when the challenge meets you, meet the challenge. Through perseverance comes the rewards, the rewards that make life so enjoyable.

Seize the day, trusting little in the future.

if you want something, go after it. if you want to screw someone over, look DEEP in your heart and realize Karma is a bitch

http://arcticcycles.com

kids and skiing

My wife and I took our oldest (now 23) XC skiing as much as we could her first year. She rode in a Kelty kid pack, and seemed to really enjoy it. Warning... this could be the reason she is now a ski bum working at Alta...!

We also took her sailing on our J-24, in a basket, when she was 2 weeks old. We used to race the J with her down below. It would really freak out the opposition to hear her during the Cheaspeake Bay drifting contests!! Most of the time the motion of the boat would put her to sleep, though.

As others have stated, cold is an issue to be aware of. I am not sure I would have wanted to go downhill skiing, but we did a lot of bushwacking on XC skis.

Her younger sister didn't get quite as much backpack time, though she did do a glacier hopping trip in utero, and her mom was XC skiing on her due date. It is a bit harder with two. She did get the sailing and skiing genes, though.

Me and Taylor at 8 months hiking at Snowbasin:

Not sure age here, but she was saying "Daddy GO!" if I stopped (flash got reflective strips on pack (thanks again Teledave!):

Skiing: Have not done it with pack, not wanting to take her in pack on lifts. Though the Gondy works fine when we used to hike Basin. She can ski by herself next year is the family opinion. I have seen lots ski with their infants though. Just not for us.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

My mom bailed while she was cross country skiing once, and shot my sister out of the pack like it was a cannon. Apparently it was soft snow though so she was fine, but you should've seen the maniacal laughter Mom broke into when she told us about it at Thanksgiving.

That said, that pack with the roof on it that Telemike has looks pretty safe, as long as you take all the precautions, as I'm sure you will.

A few thoughts:
    1) It is totally up to you...trust your parenting instincts;
    2) I don't think it is about anything besides your comfort level with a kid strapped to your back. It is not about stigma, it is not about other's willingness to do it or not. It is about a calculated risk that only you can calculate based upon conditions and your ability. Period;
    3) Making any argument that X,Y, and Z (common daily functions) are just as dangerous makes little sense to me. Many of the common daily functions spoken of are relative necessities, not luxuries. I would treat this as a luxury to enjoy that should be immediately questioned if any substantial (whatever you take that to mean) risk becomes involved.

Enjoy.

Anything that gets kids and parents out together in the great out doors is worth it in my opinion. Use common sense just like you would hike, biking or pushing the pram down the sidewalk. Shit can always happen, don't stress over it. Now, sending you kids to Jr. high, that is both dangerous and stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Anything that gets kids and parents out together in the great out doors is worth it in my opinion. Use common sense just like you would hike, biking or pushing the pram down the sidewalk. Shit can always happen, don't stress over it. Now, sending you kids to Jr. high, that is both dangerous and stressful.
    agreed!!