Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Westcomb

Westcomb

Anyone have any of the Westcomb gear?

I've just stumbled upon them. If you ski with an Ipod it seems they have that dialed.

They have a good portion of the line at a store here. Apparently the designers are ex Arcteryx guys. From fondling them and asking questions my take is a fairly bomber design. There are a few people here using the product so I can try to get a review as well.
    Move along nothing to see here.

bump because I have the Westcomb Mirage coat in my cart on BC.com - anyone have this coat?

Edit - or anyone know whether eVent fabric performs as well as 3L XCR?
    Last edited by Hutch; 10-19-2007 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    bump because I have the Westcomb Mirage coat in my cart on BC.com - anyone have this coat?

Do some google on eVent. I think there is some study done for the US Army, eVent outperformed XCR.

Test done by the military

Click here (pdf)

Be careful, since you actually need half a brain to figure out the results.

eVent and gore-tex have the same level of waterproofness?

Basically yes.

But a plastic bag is completely waterproof too, but it doesn't really do you any good if you end up soaking yourself with your own sweat. So it really comes down to breathability. Which is where event outperforms XCR.

Many people confuse waterproofness with wet out

i found what i was looking for, thanks. most eVent fabrics seem to be listed at 30000mm water column...

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post

While I haven't skied the Mirage I have fondled it quite a bit and tried it on at OR. The S-curve is easier to move through than the Sidewinder of Arcteryx, IMHO. As for eVent - I've tested gloves, two jackets and pants with eVent over 2 separate seasons with around 100 days total and I was just as dry from the outside and the inside (read - this stuff breathes SOOOO much better than XCR). Not a single complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    eVent and gore-tex have the same level of waterproofness?
    Survey says - yes.

Regarding Westcomb I think of the brands available in North America (66 North no longer distributes in NA) they are making the cleanest best fitting gear that used eVent. Ground uses it as well but unless they've changed their fit their jackets suck for fit unless you're 5'10 with a gut like a Miller Man.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

trigger pulled - thanks for the info, Kendall.

Anyone who pulled the trigger on one have any feedback on the mirage yet?

Anyone have or know where to get a Mojave soft shell?
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Quote Originally Posted by skibumnh View Post
    Anyone who pulled the trigger on one have any feedback on the mirage yet?
    Returned mine, the L was too big (too long in the arms) and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't zip out the hood. Looked like a great coat otherwise, though!

Whats your normal sleeve length. Ive got gorilla arms for my height, and usually go with a 35" sleeve. The sizing chart for the mirage says it has 34" sleeves but would you say they are longer?

I have some Westcomb Mirage pants in my cart. ANy further reviews on eVent...westcomb...mirage?

Hutch, Powstash?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I am sure Powstash will chime in here, but I sent him a PM a while back when I was looking at the Mirage Jacket. He said that eVent is the real deal and I think he said that he will not be going back to Gore-Tex. I think he was selling his Arc'teryx for his Westcomb. I ended up buying the Mirage Jacket of SAC a while back. I have not had the chance to use my jacket yet. Construction looks very bomber.

Bump. Would like to get some current opinions on the Westcomb Mirage shell. How do folks like it compared to the Arcteryx stuff? Event v. Gortez Pro? Durability in the Mirage (or Westcomb stuff in general).

Looking for a new hardshell and interested in the Westcomb/Arcteryx stuff.

Mine has durability issues. I'm going to try to warranty.

Fit, features, and the eVent cannot be beat!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Mine has durability issues. I'm going to try to warranty.

Fit, features, and the eVent cannot be beat!
    Can you expand at all? You think it was limited to your particular Mirage, or accross the board?

I have a Mirage and like it alot. Event works really well. No durability issues with mine though I pretty much only wear it in wet-ish conditions. My only VERY minor gripe is that the zig-zag in the zipper can, though doesn't always make the zipper difficult to one-hand. It looks cool though.

Yeah, I am looking to replace a TNF Gortex Pro Shell. Would be used as a hardshell for in-bounds use, but also to fold up and throw in my pack when touring. I always wear my Cloudveil Rayzer softshell as an underlayer and primary layer when touring.

Pretty much what I am looking for is:

1. Durability - can withstand in-bounds use.

2. Weight - would be good to minimize weight/pack space when I throw at bottom of bag for touring

3. Breahabilty - everything I have read makes it clear eVent tops the Gortex Pro Shell in this regard

4. Waterproof - I am in Cali, so this is a big issue. Want bomber waterproof in my hardshell. Event seems to fit the bill.

Given the price of say the Arcteryx Alpha/Beta/Theta ARs and the Westcomb Mirage, I don't want something falling a part either. So build quality/warranty department is signficant too.

To the zipper point, I have read that in other reviews, but frankly, I usually just two hand the zipper anyway. Is that really THAT big of a deal?

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post

To the zipper point, I have read that in other reviews, but frankly, I usually just two hand the zipper anyway. Is that really THAT big of a deal?
    Only if your other hand is otherwise occupied. Like I said, a very minor gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Only if your other hand is otherwise occupied. Like I said, a very minor gripe.
    Same issue with the Arc Sidewinder. I'd say a mild annoyance at best. I'll take the coolness factor, plus not having a zipper against your chin outweighs the one-hand issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Can you expand at all? You think it was limited to your particular Mirage, or accross the board?
    Main zipper pull broke, not all the iPod controls work, and the fabric ripped out around a zipper pocket... it looks well constructed so I'm guessing it is a fluke.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.