Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Westcomb

Quote Originally Posted by Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer View Post
    Interesting.... I have been debating eventually getting the Skeena Hoody as a "warmer" softshell. I have an old Cloudveil Rayzer (made with Schoeller) that breathes great but is pertty thin, but the eVent, Schoeller, Merino combo of the Skeena seems really interesting.
    I have an XL blue/grey Skeena I might be selling. Worn less than 20 times, skied in once. Like new.

FYI, It's only E-vent panels on the shoulders and arms so not completely waterproof and no seem tape.

Other than that, it's a sick jacket. The merino lining and schoeller fabric is so comfy. Nice jacket, I just need a full-on hardshell cause I already have plenty of softshells

Breathing a little life into this thread, as I just had an excellent experience with Westcomb. The company, and everyone I dealt with over last few weeks, went out of their way to help out with a situation that didn't exactly fall under warranty.

Awesome products, excellent service, highly recommended.

PM for Westcomb Pro Deal info...

Moved response over from ArcTeryx thread, seemed to make more sense here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorda View Post
    What made you decide for the Mirage over the Vapor FX? I'm having a hard time choosing between these.
    I live in europe but intend to pick these up on my next visit to NY next month. Sadly, I can't compare the models myself due to availability.

Ps: pant recommendations are also always welcome.
    I'm interested in both, but the lighter weight of the Mirage, and $100 price difference makes the Mirage a bit more attractive.

I'm wondering if the 2010 Vapor FX is available in Canada, their website seems to be US-centric in its shipping info.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmonton View Post
    I'm wondering if the 2010 Vapor FX is available in Canada, their website seems to be US-centric in its shipping info.
    You in Edmonton? Spirit West in Calgary has it.
    www.outdoorspirit.ca

I'm interested in both, but the lighter weight of the Mirage, and $100 price difference makes the Mirage a bit more attractive.
    True, I suppose I'm mostly wondering where that $100 extra value is. I'll send them a mail with my questions and see what they say.

edit: I suppose it's 820 NT eVent (Vapor) vs 560 NST eVent (Mirage). I have no clue what this means though, both on paper and in real life.
    Last edited by Vorda; 10-25-2010 at 04:46 AM.

The numbers are fabric weight. Meaning higher number is higher thickness and durability. Had fx and mirage. Fx is a yo yo special with big pockets In front for skins. Mirage is more of a lift served with hand pockets and wrist pocket. Both are great just different. I noticed the great breathability but seemed to get colder than gore Tex. But I get cold so grain of salt on that comment.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I have a Vapor FX and a Mirage, both are 2009/10 model I think (Mirage is for sure). I have skied in the Mirage last year but just got the Vapor. It is heavier and the fabric feels more durable (not that the Mirage feels like it will fall apart). The Vapor also has a slightly larger cut in the torso. No idea on breathability difference, I'll find out soon hopefully. I sweat a lot and very easily, breathability on Mirage was awesome last season for me. Was able to dump heat quickly and the inside of the shell did not get wet. Never had an issue with being cold, but that is rarely a problem for me unless it's -30c.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts on the Westcomb Chimera for lift served/sidecountry?

Maybe look at the one lined with fleece. Breathe better??? Flow fx goody, try bc.com
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Anyone have or fondled the new Vapor Fx?

The new 820 weight stuff looks great. Cut, colors and style is the best IMO
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I want to try on some of their stuff before I buy it. Does anyone know who a dealer is in the Denver or Boulder area?

I got the chance to drive up to Westcombs factory a could weeks ago since nobody in Bellingham is carrying their merchandise. No doubt that their attention to detail is amazing & super nice people. Really love the colors and styles of their line. I went up to try on the FX Cargo pant and purchase. I'm 6ft and about 190 and wear a medium pant in every other manufacturer and about a size 33 in jeans. I could barely even snap them shut. So I tried on a size large and was swimming in them. Bummer because like I said, their stuff is almost like art.

Vapor FX

I have last years Vapor FX in XL, Boulder color.

I wore it once, perfect;

$150 shipped if anyone needs it.

PM on the way with questions.

I have a medium Flow Fx Hooded NWT if anyone's interested. $259 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    I have a medium Flow Fx Hooded NWT if anyone's interested. $259 shipped.
    I bought the (men's) small hoping it would fit my girlfriend. Seemed like a really nice jacket and it pains me to send it back though it was too big.

I've tried the Flow FX Hoody and Pant, and the Cruiser LT Jacket. Cruiser probably has the same cut as the Mirage- and is very similar to an Arcteryx fit. The Cruiser eVent fabric (in the chest/torso/forearms/back) has squares and a shiny sheen to it that gives it a 'lightweight backpacking' kinda look (think GoLite). The Flow on the other hand has a roomier fit and a brushed denim type of eVent that is heavier burlier stiffer and IMO pretty good looking. Looks and feels like a waxed wool denim. Im 5'9 165 and I think I would fit smalls in jackets and pants. Flow FX pants in M were very roomy/long in the legs on me- I wear a 32/31.
    If you like Arcteryx stuff but want to support a smaller company and sport something no-one else has, you will be happy with Westcomb. I would advise that you try before you buy because I found their fitting to be pretty inconsistent. They also charge $50 shipping to the US which is a pretty steep price to pay for an 'internet changing room' purchase. So either go to Canada or buy through Backcountry for more reasonable shipping if you want to save some coin.

Might be selling my 2009-10 men's large Mirage in navy blue/gray, used less than 10 times last year, mint condition. PM if interested. Got a Vapor FX and it fits my 'stocky' build better (5'10 205#, large chesticles).

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Anyone have or fondled the new Vapor Fx?
    Recently picked up a medium Vapour Fx as a replacement for the soft shell I normally tour in. It fits way baggier than lasts year's model. I normally fit a medium in everything and this approaches too big. The 820NT Event surprised me in how durable it feels. So far I'm really happy with the jacket while I wander around the house in it. For touring though, I wouldn't want anything much heavier or baggier.
    Also gotta say Westcomb has given me great customer service. Before I bought the jacket they did a free repair job on my Vapour Fx pants (self inflicted crotch burn) with no hassle.

Chimera IS and FLOW FX jackets

I bought a CHIMERA IS and a FLOW FX jackets from STEEPandCHEAP.com. They are discounted heavily and I got them under US$200 each. I am a fans of Arcteryx stuff and I own over thirty Arcteryx shells, jackets and pants. As Arcteryx moves most of production to overseas, product quality seem to be different from that made in Canada. Then I try to buy WESTCOMB product and its product quality really exceeds my expectation. I like the more conservative design of CHIMERA and FLOW jackets. I do not like large company logo appears on my clothing. In terms of workmanship, its stitching count and quality is much better than Arcteryx. For instance, stitching near the main zipper of my Arcteryx TITAN jacket, costing US$600, is not straight.
    The breathability of EVENT fabric is definitely higher than that of Gore-tex Pro shell. The cutting of CHIMERA is not as relaxed as that of FLOW FX. I am 5'10" and 160 lb. The jackets are in small and I can wear a mid weight fleece with a base layer comfortably.

Chimera

I am looking at the Chimera right now but am a little concerned that it doesn't have pit zips.

Does anyone out there use one for heavy touring or BC use? Is eVent really that much of a difference maker?

Quote Originally Posted by davyb123 View Post
    I am looking at the Chimera right now but am a little concerned that it doesn't have pit zips.

Does anyone out there use one for heavy touring or BC use? Is eVent really that much of a difference maker?
    This is typical of eVent jackets. They breathe well enough that pit zips aren't required. That way they can be even more waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    This is typical of eVent jackets. They breathe well enough that pit zips aren't required. That way they can be even more waterproof.
    FLOW FX jacket is an eVent jacket with insulation. It features with pit zip and it is warmer than a CHIMERA IS jacket. Its cutting is more relaxed. It may be too warm for heavy touring.