Made'ns vs. Gotama?

so these are the two skis i'll be looking to buy in the next couple months, and had a question for you techies:

how do they ski side-by-side? are they pretty similar in flex/stiffness? differences? pros/cons?

oi.

Well I have 4 seasons on my Kahunas (same ski as the Maiden/AK Enema), and all of one run on the Gotama, but I'd say the quote from Bandit Man or Jim or whomever in the other thread was fairly spot on - They're larger Seth Pistols (first year), in that they're pretty soft but still pretty skiable all-mountain. They were my all-mountain every day ski of choice last year, this year they've gotten out of the rotation as much since I decided to try out Pontoons and Sanouks.

Newer Pistols (green topsheet) and Vicious/Seth are obviously a fair bit stiffer.

As far as how they ski compared to the Goats...well when I tried the gots, I was skiing 189 green-sheet Pistols on mostly groomer surfaces that day, so of course what my impressions were was that they're definitely softer than the '89 pistol, and had less sidecut, plus that squared-off tail did lend to catching the tails crossed every once in awhile. Other than that, I didn't get to ski them much, but...compared to the Maden, I'd say it's pretty comparable - softer ski, straighter cut, but can still turn if you need it to, and can function beyond being just a powder tool. Sorry I can't give you much more detailed a report, but I guess I just need to give those a try again...anyway I'd say real comparable, maybe just go with whichever you can get the better deal on, or whichever graphics you like best.

As for length, I'd go 189 for the Maden...unless you're skiing in a enclosed-space kind of resort. Where are you riding at?

EDIT - Baker, just read that. go 189, or full-size on whatever you can get the Got for.
    Last edited by Jumper Bones; 01-25-2007 at 09:22 PM.

dude, those skis are nothing alike. definitely nothing alike.

except they're both made in china.

The question you really need to ask yourself, are you the next Chris Collins or the next Pep Fujas?
    ...so I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkristofo View Post
    dude, those skis are nothing alike. definitely nothing alike.
    Soooo what's so different? Big, relatively straight, soft pow boards.
    Explain what's different.

thanks jumper man.

im a pretty big guy (6'1" 190lbs) and if what you say about the softness is true, then i may be looking for a stiffer ski. i had the green sheet pistols for 4 months and loved em, but they arent what im looking for.

definitely looking for something fatter than the pistols, something over 100mm thats a bit stiffer than the made'ns are (apparently). If you have any suggestions of mega fats that you've skied, they're more than welcome.

Squad in 189 or 194? Legend XXL? Igneous FFF?

Btw I was saying that the Maiden/Kahuna flex would be closer to the yellow 189 pistols...remember, the greens were the 2nd year, and were stiffened up quite a bit. I will say that the flex of the Kahuna is more consistent through the whole ski than the Pistol.

most fats I've been on has been soft...pontoon, sanouk, kahuna, 179 pistol...only stiffer ones I've had were the 189 green pistols and 190 Igneous FFLs in a 250 flex.

check out Marshal's "recommended skis/bindings" thread at the top of this page, there's a ski flex index in there you may find useful.

SEARCH FUCNTION MOTHA FACKA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal King
    "Is there any piece of clothing on earth uglier than a baseball cap?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal King
    Grant Gunderson is fucking gay

Check the recommended ski and bindings thread sticky at the top of Tech Talk. According to how other people rated those skis the Maidens are significantly softer.

Edit: I checked again on the chart. According to the text on the thread the Maidens are significantly softer. However just under the relative flex chart there is a link to a PDF where you have to choose the skis to display the flex. According to that chart they do seem pretty similar. Check it out for yourself.
    Last edited by Crass3000; 01-26-2007 at 09:15 AM.

If you're looking for similar shape, but a bit stiffer, the 4frnt 190EHP is an option. I found they skied alot like the Gotama, but with a little better crud busting ability.

thanks PH, i'll look into it.

anyone ridden the jp vs julien?

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    You need to search, dude. Seriously. There have been enough reviews posted in tech talk about Gotamas, Madens, and JPs to make a grown man cry.

In fact, baby Jesus actually started crying as soon as he saw the title of this thread.

The 06-07 Gotama (white top sheet), is considerably stiffer than the Pistol or Seth, and the Made'n/AK Enemy. The 05-06 was stiffer as well, just not as much. The white Gotamas are not soft. Not brutally stiff, either, but far from soft.

Don't upset little baby jeebus, with his tiny little baby hands. Little 8lbs 7 once baby jeebus.
    Last edited by descender; 01-26-2007 at 01:43 PM.

BSS, at least he got it into the right forum this time.

As for the stiffness of the gotamas, the ones I skied were 2nd year models.

Good call on the EHPs, I should have remembered those too.

Quote Originally Posted by descender View Post
    Don't upset little baby jeebus, with his tiny little baby hands. Little 8lbs 7 once baby jeebus.
    How do you know how much baby jebus weighs? You must be more important than you realize!

Quote Originally Posted by Crass3000 View Post
    How do you know how much baby jebus weighs? You must be more important than you realize!
    Think Talladega Nights...Ricky Bobby is in the know...

Sam...

For the PNW goods as an all-mountain ski, a 190 Gotama is gonna be an easy fit, but perhaps hard to find.

So you loved the green pistols, but are looking for something stiffer? That gets me thinking about LP's, 89 Squads, 103's in the 193, Blowers, and Big Daddys. In other words....BEEF.

I've got LP's but ride my BC's for less than deep days most of the time 'cus they are easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Think Talladega Nights...Ricky Bobby is in the know...
    Yup. Actually I was off by once ounce. It is 8 pounds 6 ounces.

The source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415306/quotes

have both the 05/06 sv and 05/06 goat-the goat is without a doubt stiffer tip to tail than the sv. the sv is not a noodle but has a fairly soft shovel and stiffens up somewhat underfoot. both are forgiving skis but ski differently

WWCD is online now Non Threating Male Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Sam...

For the PNW goods as an all-mountain ski, a 190 Gotama is gonna be an easy fit, but perhaps hard to find.

So you loved the green pistols, but are looking for something stiffer? That gets me thinking about LP's, 89 Squads, 103's in the 193, Blowers, and Big Daddys. In other words....BEEF.

I've got LP's but ride my BC's for less than deep days most of the time 'cus they are easy.
    You should try the Squads. I went from the green Pistols to an 89 Squad and couldn't be happier. I am bigger than you (6'2" - 240), so take that for what it is worth.

I LOVE my 06-07 Gots.

But then I love my mantras too.