Post Loving this new cd.....

....listening to David Gray - Lost Songs 95-98. Very mellow and thoughtful. Good gray weather music. Don't love his new music, but this is good stuff.
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

I can't stop listening to this one. it's replaced Jack Johnson's new one as my constant background music. It's so chill and lovely. His voice is sort of trippy and in this cd I think he's just a bit bummed out by things....
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

BEaver - that is weird - no doubt. Serendipity at it's best.

If you can find any of the songs from this album - grab them. It's so damn good.

Why WSD? WHY? Ever since I met you, my respect for you had grown and grown, following you down Flume, talking snow, etc., until I thought there was no cooler girl.

But now.....this!

David Gray? Say it ain't so!
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I couldn't agree more Rev.

Keep in mind, I am a disgruntled former mom and pop record store worker who hates the world for being sheep by falling pray to the marketing lunacy of the RIAA's members and the media conglomerates who shove crappy music down the throat of ignorant yet otherwise good people...so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

"Do you have I just called to say I love you?"
    "Yes."
    "Can I have it?"
    "No."
    "Why not?"
    "Because it's tacky sentimental crap thats why. Do we look like a store that would sell that song. Do you even know your daughter, theres no way she likes that song. Oh Im sorry, is she in a coma?"
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Arty and Rev,

I will make converts of you yet.... you've got to trust me on this one. Track it down - lost songs 95-98 (or send me your address and I'll copy it for you). It's not that new crud that they play on every damn radio station. It's better....really, I swear! Don't give up on me!

Arty, Rev,

I'm with you on this one, sorry WSD. How about we convert you? I'll recommend my usual medicine for those afflicted with a love for Jack Johnsonesqe music. Try this:

-Pedro the Lion:
    Seattle native, super mellow music with lyrics that are layered into it in a dreamy sort of way. Genius songwriter. Only downside is he's a bornagain, so a few songs deal with JC, but with music this good, I'm convinced he can say whatever he wants. Try "It's hard to find a friend". "Winner's never quit" is an amazing album, but a little harder.

-Elliot Smith:
    Just about anything.

-Belle and Sebastion:
    Again, mellow. Quite poppy but still very slow for the most part. One of my favorite bands. Get "If you're feeling sinister"

-The Raindeer Section:
    Similar to B+S, a collaborative project by Scottish and Scandinavian artists, i think. Really mellow, kind of depressing, but in a good way. Some great love songs too.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Arty, you need an avatar. Here's a suggestion.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Saw Tenacious D, Weezer, and Jimmy Eats World two years ago in Portland, ME. Awesome show. Cannot wait for the D movie.

Do the D!

I saw Weezer with D, a couple years ago too. Sad to say, but D stole the show. Weezer is a great band on certain levels, but their live show is kinda boring.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Thanks bossass, I feel a little less gay for listening to a lot of Belle and Sebastian recently. Gay is OK! For my personal music listening purposes.

I should probably delete that.

Originally posted by bossass
    Arty, Rev,

I'm with you on this one, sorry WSD. How about we convert you? I'll recommend my usual medicine for those afflicted with a love for Jack Johnsonesqe music. Try this:

-Pedro the Lion:
    Seattle native, super mellow music with lyrics that are layered into it in a dreamy sort of way. Genius songwriter. Only downside is he's a bornagain, so a few songs deal with JC, but with music this good, I'm convinced he can say whatever he wants. Try "It's hard to find a friend". "Winner's never quit" is an amazing album, but a little harder.

-Elliot Smith:
    Just about anything.

-Belle and Sebastion:
    Again, mellow. Quite poppy but still very slow for the most part. One of my favorite bands. Get "If you're feeling sinister"

-The Raindeer Section:
    Similar to B+S, a collaborative project by Scottish and Scandinavian artists, i think. Really mellow, kind of depressing, but in a good way. Some great love songs too.
    I'll definitely check these out Bossass (meanwhile, I"m still listening to that David Gray, dammit!). However, I really hate Belle and Sebastian. They kind of freak me out, for some reason. It's creepy. Maybe I haven't heard the right stuff.

Good - keep the suggestions coming. I'm now getting stuck in a Dido rut (damn, she's good.)

Not really getting into the David Gray, but I checked out Pedro the Lion, which was good - but Rhapsody only had one album "Whole" to check out. I'll have to find the ones you mentioned somewhere else.

Then it recommended "Death Cab for Cutie" (incidentally from Bellingham) which so far I like even better (this is after all of 2 songs so who knows...)

Oh, and if you like Dido, try Poe (Haunted has a lot of good tracks) and Fiona Apple.

Nice call on the avatar, Plake. I like mine betta though.

While we're talking about Dido, has anyone listened to Faithless? Reverence is a really, really good album, and she sings on a couple of tracks. She also sings for a couple of songs on Sunday 8pm.

Her brother Rollo, plays in the group Faithless and she appeared on the groups five million selling debut album 'Reverence' in 1995 on the tracks 'Flowerstand Man' and 'Salva Mea'. Dido later appeared on another Faithless album 'Sunday 8pm' in 1998 on the tracks 'Postcards' and 'Hem of his Garment'.
    Faithless is more of a electronic/trance/hip-hop (ala Tricky sorta...I'm terrible at describing stuff) act, so I'd download some stuff first to see if you like it. It can be very uhhhh...I'm not going there...I'll just say that Faithless is a great album. You can see their influence on her albums too, but it's subtle.

Edit: Shit, I forgot Beth Orton. She's awesome! Her first two albums are must own items. I haven't listened to the third enough, so I'll reserve comment on that. I'm sure it's really good.

Oh and on a different note, the new Cat Power is good too.
    Last edited by Arty50; 11-06-2003 at 07:15 PM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Love Faithless and love Beth Orton. Both great.

Will def check out Poe, Altagirl. Sounds good! I like Fiona Apple.

Beck's Sea Change has also been in heavy rotation in the cd player....

Originally posted by watersnowdirt
    Love Faithless and love Beth Orton. Both great.
    Ok, all is forgiven. Damn...Faithless. Cool. Most people are like Faithwho? Faithwhat?

Speaking of which, I was in my old record store tonight and they had a used copy of the Miranda Lee Richards album. Do you have it? If not I can pick it up super cheap. She sang on a couple of tracks for early Brian Jonestown Massacre. [groupie]They're so dreamy[/groupie]...and my favorite band next to the Stones. Not to mention they freely distribute all their music online.

Beck's Sea Change has also been in heavy rotation in the cd player....
    Damn you! Now I have to put that on.

Definitely like Faithless - I heard it a lot in Germany but didn't know who the artist was until now. And Beth Orton has an awesome voice.

Fionna Apple...so hot in a strung out, cracky sort of way!

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."