Topsheet/Exposed Metal Question

Just acquired some 190 Sploders and they have a bit o' the topsheet peeling in a couple spots on both skis. Not a problem at all, I bought them knowing this. Question is, I may want to strip that topsheet (day-glo) and keep the metal exposed or paint them, would I have an oxidation problem keeping the metal exposed? Anyone know what Volant uses to seal their metal? I will probably paint them as I have access to some good sprayers, but I do think some shiny metal Sploders would be smoking. Mach stupid speed could get them hot enough to cook some breakfast at the bottom of the hill. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd imagine that peeling off the topsheet would weaken the edges/sidewall and affect the flex of the ski.

I would probably clean the exposed metal, brush some automotive undercoating on and then throw on some slow-curing marine epoxy.

And I think you mean Volkl, not volant.

Thanks for replying. About the Volant, I was just wondering what they used to keep their metal topsheets from oxidizing. I personally do not know if Volkl made any with metal topsheets, but mine could be soon.

Volant used stainless steel for their stopsheets. The last generation Volants (or VO-Lants as the American tourists liked to call them) were made by Atomic. They didn't oxidze, but they would get some surface rust spots if they were left wet for too long.

It didn't matter aboot the rust though. Most of them bent or de-lammed anyways.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Any ideas on how you'd get the day glo off? Sounds like a neat idea, but I magine it would be a bit of an undertaking.....
    Do what you like, Like what you do.

The day-glo top sheet seems about prime for "peeling" off. Easier said than done I'm sure, but if the rest of the topsheet will come off as easy as where some of the nicks are, it should be fairly easy. May try some kind of stiff plastic, narrow scraper under the sheet at the points are peeling up already. There's NOT many spots that are coming up, and they are not big, but they look to give a good starting point.