Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why don't more surfers snowboard from here?

Heh, forgot I posted this thread. Must have been up to my screen name again.

Supu has a good point (not the gay thing, although I am coming to terms with it).

Background:
    Torrance, born to age 6, never surfed
    Bellingham, Baker, age 6, learned to ski. Continued for 5 years there skiing.
    Yardley/Doylestown, Poconos, skied, ski raced.
    Hawaii 2 week trip on Parents, learned to surf on longboard in 1 foot waves.
    College at WVU, ice skiing and picked up a square tailed Burton with plate bindings. Not so easy.
    Went to Stowe on parents dime again and did one one lesson on a regular board and linked turns within 20 minutes, got air before lesson was out. Stoked.

Been boarding for the last 10 years now and am picking skiing back up again. One, to go BC as a splitboard in not in the family budget. Maybe someday.
    Two, I want my daughter to learn to SKI next year and I can help much more if I am on skis too. (I think)

So I skied yesterday for the 4th time this season and only 2 on the board (fibular stress fracture and high ankle sprain Dec 26). I am liking skiing again a bit more than the board. BUT, I have a new board from Santa and I have not ridden it yet, so I may love it again compared to my eight year old noodle that I was boarding on.

Some points in here I found true for me: Snowboarding in pow is SO much better than skiing in pow, for me at this time (see Ice coast skier racer). On a pow day, it is the board and only the board. Skis don't even make it out of the garage. I get the pow learning when I skin for it and I love the exercise.

Now I need to learn to really surf.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Some points in here I found true for me: Snowboarding in pow is SO much better than skiing in pow, for me at this time (see Ice coast skier racer). On a pow day, it is the board and only the board. Skis don't even make it out of the garage. I get the pow learning when I skin for it and I love the exercise.

Now I need to learn to really surf.
    Ditto... I've always said next triip out west I'm only bringing my snowboard. In powder, you really are "surfing" the snow... leaning into turns, etc. I feel so much more connected to the lines I'm riding than I do on skis. That said, I haven't snowboarded for at least two years, but when it finally does go off on the east coast....!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Surfing is wacky
    Snowboarding is wacky
    Skiing is stoic (except for the hard chargers)
    Supu is Kooku
    Last edited by Duke; 01-28-2007 at 11:38 AM.

This little video shows just how close kiteboarding is to snowboarding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19fHdHbZqtE
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

A: Because I can go faster, stomp bigger, and point'er down the fall-line much better.

I surf to get barreled. You can't get barreled snowboarding, so I might as well keep with the snowsport that i like for the reasons listed above. Snowboarding pow is fun every once in a while, but otherwise, skiing is for me.
    Last edited by Alkasquawlik; 04-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.

Yeah,skiing is soo much tougher. I knew all those buses full of bible thumpers from Kansas were core. If its good enough for them than i guess its good enough for me. I'm sold.

That photo was a good comparison??? I could swear if i opened up any broboard mag i could find a better comparison of the two styles. Either way,what kind of tool really gives a fuck if you ski or board,as long as your not on snowlerblades. But then again i've been out of high school for ten years.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by HotCarl View Post
    Either way,what kind of tool really gives a fuck if you ski or board,as long as your not on snowlerblades. But then again i've been out of high school for ten years.
    You just don't 'get it' do you?
    You're just not brobrah enough for here.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

love 2 surf like 2 board

In my case, surf is very close and have been doing it forever. Boarding is a drive and $$. I really like 2 board and am decent at it. It just is not as mentally clearing, and it is not free.
    If I had a nickel for every wave I caught, I would have a shit load of nickels.

learned to ski, a few years later learned to surf. tried snowboarding a couple years after that. i have snowboarded on a few occasions, definitely enjoy it, definitely see the logical similarities to surfing, but surfing and skiing already demand too much money to consider purchasing yet more equipment for snowboarding.

more people than i can count have asked why i ski rather than snowboard (given that i surf), the cost is a big factor, but the real bottom line is i love to surf and i love to ski, i've put in countless hours attaining some level of proficiency in the two, i'm happy with the current situation, and i don't really think about it much beyond that......

I would say that surfing holds more in common with skiing, and body boarding holds more in common with snowboarding in most ways. apart from the obvious side on stance thing, but there are so many factors other than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    A: Because I can go faster, stomp bigger, and point'er down the fall-line much better.
    Because it's easier to do those things on skis. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, SuPu likes the cock.

:P
    Last edited by jayfrizzo; 05-01-2007 at 08:21 PM.

I would say that surfing holds more in common with skiing, and body boarding holds more in common with snowboarding in most ways. apart from the obvious side on stance thing, but there are so many factors other than that.
    huh

Sure skiing has aspects (movement and feeling) similiar to surfing, but.......MMMMMOOOOORRRRREEEE than snowboarding???

oh, come on.

sometimes I do like to lay on my snowboard and go down the hill, so maybe you're right about the body boarding.