Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    I'm not a surfer, but I've been windsurfing a long time and love the waves. Snowboarding is more like surfing than sking... (duh, to me)
    Your post makes no sense. First you state that you're not a surfer. Then you state that snowboarding is more like surfing than skiing. How would you know that if you're not a surfer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Your post makes no sense. First you state that you're not a surfer. Then you state that snowboarding is more like surfing than skiing. How would you know that if you're not a surfer?
    You make a very good point... I may be talking out of my ass. I wavesail and snowboard, which to me, are similar. (More than say skiing.) Kiteboarding is probably more like snowboarding, but I haven't tried that yet. JMHO
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    That's the equivalent of standing up on skis and making it to the bottom of the bunnyhill without falling. Kudos, sir.
    wow you must be like a total bad ass surfer

hey new guys, we've discussed this before you were here. bag it.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    wow you must be like a total bad ass surfer
    No, but I know the difference between suck and Kelly Slater. Saying that you've surfed because you stood up on a foamie is the same as skiing or boarding a groomer, and there's a big difference, to me, between skiing a groomer and "skiing". Surfing has a very long curve between suck and Kelly Slater, esp if you start after age 12. Skiing and Snowboarding don't have that long curve.
    Last edited by cj001f; 01-16-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

so when is someone gonna ask the question of how many people water ski who ski?

No, but I know the difference between suck and Kelly Slater. Saying that you've surfed because you stood up on a foamie is the same as skiing or boarding a groomer, and there's a big difference, to me, between skiing a groomer and "skiing". Surfing has a very long curve between suck and Kelly Slater, esp if you start after age 12. Skiing and Snowboarding don't have that long curve.
    I dunno...Who would be kelly slater's approximate in skiing? Whoever you choose its going to be a helluva stretch from groomer to that level.

cross training

Why don't more surfers learn how to fly a kite ? Paddling for big waves is one thing, surfing blown out waves sucks. Kitesurfing in waves is a blast, esp if you can already surf well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugY2Nkb6Z60

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKcwarcCCdE

Snowboarding IS way easier to get good at than skiing, IMHO. That's why I got some fresh ski gear this year to get back on 2 planks.
    If it ever snows this year. Skiied from 5 years old through college, transitioned to boarding and slowing sold off all my ski gear for alpine snowboarding gear. Now, I wanna get back on skiis and see if I can still throw it down.
    Last edited by willywhit; 01-16-2007 at 05:59 PM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Do you think that's true because surfing is inherently more difficult or because waves are more of a limited resource in a sense? I've always thought the latter -- no matter how crowded the break, each wave is still limited to the roughly the same number of people. Even on the most crowded president's day weekend-ski resort day, at least you can still ski.
    definately, and also has to do with the fact that when you go down a ski hill it takes normally several minutes, when you catch a wave it rarely lasts longer then 20 seconds. Thats why alot of people that grow up surfing long point breaks get really good, because they have a long wave to practice each turn on. Also the surfing/waiting+paddling time ratio would be way less than skiing/lifts+traversing time ratio

having surfed for 10 years prior to my first skiing, and 20 years prior to my first boarding, i find the x-over from boarding to surfing and vice versa to be nearly perfect. i only surf once or twice a year now (vacations), and with a usual 50 days of boarding each year, my surfing is better now than it ever was. i don't know if that would be true that if i only skied. boarding has definite weaknesses over skiing when it comes to edge control (steeps/icy/hard) or access (traversing/climbing) but when it comes to powder riding, i prefer the ride that boarding gives.

progression

began skiing
    started skateboarding
    moved to rollerblading
    began ski racing
    moved back to skateboarding
    continued ski racing
    gave up ski racing to sit on my ass atop a half pipe waiting in line on a board
    got pretty good on a snowboard
    got bored of snowboarding
    started surfing
    tried ski racing again
    did the whole bump racing thing
    gave up racing again
    began Tele Skiing

the progression has stopped. I will skate, surf and tele till i die.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalTele View Post
    began skiing
    started skateboarding
    moved to rollerblading
    began ski racing
    continued ski racing
    started surfing
    tried ski racing again
    gave up racing again
    began Tele Skiing

Kitesurfing, I'm telling ya. Just sumpthin' to do when it's windy.I hear SD has some good stuff.
    http://www.westcoastkiteboarding.com/lessons

I was a skier long before becoming a surfer and never had any inclination to try snowboarding. From everything I've heard, it seems rather easy to pick up, so there already I have no desire.

As far as learning curve and what's easier, surfing easily takes that one...then again, it might be harder if you don't live near water your whole life and understand the way a wave travels, how it breaks, and how to predict it's path. But skiing is likely the harder to master. You might be able to // after a day or two, but are you going to be able to straightline moguls and ski 40-degree glades right away?
    Last edited by snoogens; 01-18-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Thumbs down I don't get this "too easy" argument

What is the point of arguing that snowboarding sucks because it's too easy? I haven't heard anyone diss the onset of fat skis or spatulas because they make skiing easier. Snowboarding in powder was easier than skiing, skiing had to progress or no one on two planks would ever get to the fingers untracked (Squallywood v.1).

So turns, jumps, powder, whatever, get easier on a snowboard. That just means you go bigger sooner. You can spin, go off-axis off cliffs sooner. Sweet. If you don't want to do anything more impressive, then don't. And bagging on side-slipping snowboarders is weak; plenty of skiers can't make turns on steeps either, they either take their skis off or they just rocket out-of-control and send cougars out on life flights.

I can think of two reasons people complain about things being too easy. Some paddle-in surfers at mavericks don't like straps and tow-in because it makes it too easy to catch waves earlier, same for short boarders ragging on long-boarders. Resource allocation problem.

In river kayaking I see people get into other crafts, C1, raft, striding, river board-surfing, because they've hucked as big in a kayak as they're willing. So something harder means you don't have to push yourself into a situation that's more dangerous than you're comfortable with. Instead of hucking 50-80 feet, you can get your thrils on 20 or less. Balls/risk aversity problem.

Exhibit A:

Surfing-influenced skiing

all good

great shot but I still think I'd rather be mounted sideways for the surfing feel

Quote Originally Posted by emetic View Post
    definately, and also has to do with the fact that when you go down a ski hill it takes normally several minutes, when you catch a wave it rarely lasts longer then 20 seconds. Thats why alot of people that grow up surfing long point breaks get really good, because they have a long wave to practice each turn on. Also the surfing/waiting+paddling time ratio would be way less than skiing/lifts+traversing time ratio
    Yup.

2 other factors:

To get good it's alot easier if you start with a really good wave . if you suck, you won''t get many good waves at a good wave spot in the developed world. It takes alot of skill to surf a shitty wave

It takes upperbody strength and balance to catch a wave, most people don''t have this.

As far as learning curve and what's easier, surfing easily takes that one...then again, it might be harder if you don't live near water your whole life and understand the way a wave travels, how it breaks,
    Bullshit.

You live in NYC.

Bullshit.

You live in NYC.
    If it's supposed to take less than a month to drop into a head-high wave on an 9'2" 1964 Hobie, then bullshit is right.

Quote Originally Posted by snoogens View Post
    If it's supposed to take less than a month to drop into a head-high wave on an 9'2" 1964 Hobie, then bullshit is right.
    Is that Hawaii head or Long Island head?

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    Exhibit A:

Surfing-influenced skiing

Nice surf turn comparison....too bad we didn't get any pics of our surf turns off that wind-blown bank last weekend...

I started skiing at age 4, surfing at 12, wakeboarding at 14 and longboard skateboarding at 18....I tried snowboarding at 18 as well, and just wasn't thrilled with it...I progressed really quickly but it just didn't give me the thrill or challenge that skiing did. Plus, I like having 2 edges on the snow...

So fat skiis are like the Bic funboards of surfing. Everthing becomes easy and people end up where they shouldnt be. Yes?

p.s. Mammoth has been onshore, low tide, and knee high for months. Thank God for wetsuits and NW swells!
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

same stoke, different vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbored View Post
    So fat skiis are like the Bic funboards of surfing. Everthing becomes easy and people end up where they shouldnt be. Yes?

p.s. Mammoth has been onshore, low tide, and knee high for months. Thank God for wetsuits and NW swells!
    are fat skiis really like a Bic Techno ? damn ! I was looking forward to getting some once I'm back ripping on 2 planks.
    Windsurfing will always hold a special place in my heart.
    I remember when this kinda stuff
    http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/video...pa20070112.mov
    would get me all excited. Kitesurfing is just way more fun.
    Now,if I lived on Maui...who knows ???

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I'd rather be mounted sideways
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109 View Post
    {-.-}
    |)_(|
    -"-"-
    YA RLY !

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalTele View Post
    began skiing
    started skateboarding
    moved to rollerblading
    began ski racing
    continued ski racing
    started surfing
    tried ski racing again
    gave up racing again
    began Tele Skiing

wierd, me too.
    except substitute mogul skiing for racing.