Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How cold is -35° Celsius

I'm flying with some friends to Calgary at the end of this week for a two week road trip through Alberta and BC but we're seeing some alarming temperatures for our liking.

Snowforecast gives temps of around -30° to -35

So how cold is -35° Celsius? Is it ok-cold, is it I-need-to-get-some-additional-layers-cold, is it you-don't-see-me-out-there-even-if-it-snowed 2 meters-cold or is it nobody-is-going-out-cold-or-you-die-cold?

Simply put, can you still enjoy skiing if it's -35°?

On a side note: can you trust Snowforecast for snow and weather prediction in Western Canada? I know it's ok thrustworthy in Europe up to max 3days and for the amount of snow you always have to divide by 2 to get a correct figure.

Edit: I know see I posted in the wrong subforum
    Last edited by dorfke; 01-09-2007 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Stupid
    Because they are there

It's about -31F. Also could be much colder with windchill.

In that, you want to make sure most all your skin is covered. And to check your buddies periodically for frostbite where you might still be exposed, but its skiable.

For an easy answer, use Google calculator:

-35C in F

(if the link doesn't work, type "-35C in F" in google)

It's about 5 degrees colder than I've ever skied in. You definitely need to have some layers on and be completely covered, but I suppose it's doable.

When I was a kid living in MN, I remember school being called off for 2 or 3 days because of it being really cold. Something like -50's at night -30s in the day. I went sledding most of the days. But, I was about 11 and don't really remember what that was like.
    Last edited by crashnburn'd; 01-09-2007 at 10:01 AM.

it's approaching the magical -40C mark...which is -40F as well. both are FUCKING COLD!!! add some wind to that and it would be very dangerous. you could easily get frostbite on any exposed skin. hopefully where you are skiing they have gondolas or covered chairs, otherwise it's gonna be a cold ride up.

btw, the coldest i've ever skied was -25C with a windchill bringing it down to -40C. it was damn cold, even with a goodly amount of layers on. i probably wouldn't do it again unless there was big pow.

I would look at that forecast as things get closer, the snow is coming for sure ( I just have to look outside) but the temps may not get that cold. The mountains seem to be just west of the worst cold mid -20 over night and then mid -teens during the day. This coming from the Environment Canada website http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/canada_e.html
    Move along nothing to see here.

It's you-don't-want-a-single-square-inche-of-skin-exposed-or-it-will-fell-off-cold. Definitely-too-cold-for-my-taste-cold.
    As other had experienced it, I've skied at temps around -25°C (with strong wind) and one of my eyeballs started to froze... really.
    (yes, I had glasses instead of goggles. Yes, that was dumb).
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

I don't see any thing in the current forcast that low. In the -24C area for the low with -19 the high. Thats not bad. At -20 I generally cover face and go to mitts and think aboout a thicker fleece. After the weekend its going back up so really only going to be cold thur-Sunday.
    Last edited by DougW; 01-09-2007 at 09:20 AM.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

the interesting thing I found with skiing in those temps is that even though I had good gloves on, the cold would go right through them and freeze my hands instantly if I tried to ski fast. The upshot is that no one will be on the mountain, and if there is new snow it will be the driest and lightest snow you have ever skied.

forest Guest
    I grew up skiing in that weather, its not so bad. Anything below about -25C and people start to scatter. You can still ski and have a blast when its that cold. If it is windy though, maybe stay home. Dress really warm and you can have a blast. Its a good time for going fast if you wax right, there are no people in the way. One thing I've noticed is you really want to keep whatever you're using to cover your face dry. Once material gets wet your face will get red and sore fast. Bring a bunch of those neck tube things and spin it around every run, once totally wet/iced up, replace.

Luts just say

Luts just say that when I worked as a liftie in calgary the hill closed at -30 because it was too dangerous.

We had temps like that at K-Mart a few years ago. WIth high winds.

Not comfortable, to say the least....
    2-58

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn'd View Post
    It's about 5 degrees colder than I've ever skied in. You definitely need to have some layers on and be completely covered, but I suppose it's doable.

When I was a kid living in MN, I remember school being called off for 2 or 3 days because of it being really cold. Something like -50's at night -30s in the day. I went sledding most of the days. But, I was about 11 and don't really remember what that was like.
    Crash, I remember those days too, I did the same thing! The plastic in my sled broke because it was so cold...... and also because it was a really cheap sled.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    It's fuckin' cold in the realm of you 'won't catch me out there cold' plus they stop running the lifts around -30. It's also too cold to snow 2m or much over 2cms. On the plus side there is the magic of inversions.... warm air high on the mountain (-10 say) traps the colder denser air down in the valley. You rip all day in warm sun, hardly anyone is there because they are afraid and it works out great. The other thing with the real cold is the snow is like sandpaper, your skis don't slide and it doesn't even feel like skiing anymore.

The weather reports are notoriously inaccurate, often city based with little relevance to the mountains (except crowds). Also the west side of the divide tends to be a little to a lot warmer.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

at -20C I need 20cm of fresh to go skiing
    -25'C 25cm fresh etc

backfired once at -31'C with 33 fresh at fortress.

6 people on the hill
    and you could do 2 runs then in for a warm up for 30 min. then 2 more and back in.

forcast is looking warmer and again inversions are key.

When it's over -30 deg C, you basicly need to look like a Michelin Man, unless you're moving really fast and using a lot of energy...

For skiing, -30 is freaking cold... But doable, just a lot of layers (and down jacket in the backpack for breaks)... The biggest problem I foresee is yer feet and hands... Hands are easier by getting really warm mittens, but your performance-fit alpine-boots would be a whole different story...

I've skied, when it was -28 deg C plus around 20 m/s wind (meaning really fucking cold with added windchill) and unless I was really working my whole body, it was not fun... Doable, but defo not fun...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

For the math minded mags, the easiest way to figure out the farenheight to celcius conversion is to remember two points on the line.

-40C = -40F
    0C=32F

From those two points you can figure out the math pretty quickly.

I'll echo the comments above. -30 is really, really, really COLD (but still skiable).

Quote Originally Posted by AKWL View Post
    For the math minded mags, the easiest way to figure out the farenheight to celcius conversion is to remember two points on the line.

-40C = -40F
    0C=32F

From those two points you can figure out the math pretty quickly.

I'll echo the comments above. -30 is really, really, really COLD (but still skiable).
    While useful to some, I don't think Dorkfe finds the C to F conversions that useful, as living in Belgium they are using C... He has just never had to be in an enviroment that cold...
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Really fuckin' cold. But if the skiing was really good I'd do it. If it was mediocre I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDork View Post
    We had temps like that at K-Mart a few years ago. WIth high winds.

Not comfortable, to say the least....
    I remember that- maybe 3 years ago. I was at Sunday River and there were high winds and about 7 people still out there. I could feel my skin freezing as the wind blew.

That was the freezing winter I drove an old Saab convertible with no heat and no reverse. Good times. No Global Warming that winter.
    Decisions Decisions

question- are those predicted highs. Lows are going to be lower and you are taking a road trip. Cars may have trouble starting in the -40's

I've skied at Bridger Bowl when it was -40.

You can't have any exposed skin, and you have to come in to warm up after every few runs.

Also, your nose hairs will probably freeze together.

Quote Originally Posted by dorfke View Post
    How cold is -35° Celsius
    Cold enough the Chuck Norris would have to wear a light sweater.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Crash, I remember those days too, I did the same thing! The plastic in my sled broke because it was so cold...... and also because it was a really cheap sled.
    That was about it for me too. Our sledding hill was a pasture filled with rocks and frozen cow crap, so we tended to go through sleds fairly quickly.

When I was younger, -35 meant that I would put on a toque for my walk to school.

Now I'm such a pussy my feet & hands freeze within a couple minutes.
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.