Coyote Yurt, ID beta

We got a trip planned for the weekend of Feb 23 into the Coyote yurt and I'm looking for a little more info from others who've been there about the skiing around the yurt.

I've been up in that area during the summer biking Curly's Loop, but I'm not entirely sure where the yurt is (coordinates). Apparently Sun Valley Trekking requires a guide to get into the yurt if you've never been there before. I'm sure the yurt has some really good topo maps (at least Williams Peak did) of the terrain around the yurt to ski. I remember hearing reports of sleds tearing up the terrain around the yurt in years past, but after the arsons those issues have been somewhat resolved.

Damn, no shit!? I'm going with a group next week (1/15-1/17). I've never been there before, but we've got a local guy in our group who has. The place sounds pretty badass, and I'll be glad to give you some beta when we get back.

I want info or beta, whichever is easier for you.

I have some friends that have been there. I'll try to get the scoop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I've never been there but the word is that there is good yo-yo skiing around there. For bigger, challenging lines, the sawtooth yurts like Williams and/or Bench Lakes are mo' betta. I've toured around that area and it's pretty good glade skiing. Just don't expect gnar points nor super tours.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

bump for any more info...conditions

Went to Bench Hut pretty recently. I thought we were gonna be going to Coyote, but it turns out I was mistaken about our reservation. Anyway, things were still really good up there when we left on 1/17, but I don't think they've gotten much snow recently, so you might have to look a little harder for the stashes. Some aspects were kind of crusty, especially in the morning, but others were super buttery recycled pow or soft surface facets. Some of the best skiing I've ever done actually.

The scenery is absolutely spectacular out there. You'll definitely have a good time.

Coyote Yurt Topos

I was in to Coyote Yurt last February (2007) and created a topo sheet with the (approximate) skin track in from East Fork Baker Creek. I say "approximate" because when we went in, other than the point from which it takes off from the main snow machine trail, the track was snowed over and extremely difficult to find and follow. We essentially just "felt" our way up the very long and steep hillside to get in; part of our party wound up going around a much longer way than was needed and got in after dark. Fortunately, this summer's Castle Rock wildfire was contained just down the hill from the yurt, so I'll bet there's a lot of newly ski-able terrain that opened up. Rather than post anything here, please contact me for the topo map in jpg format. If the folks at Sun Valley Trekking read this and for some reason object to making this information available, please let me know.

(You can go to inciweb (wildfire incident information) website and download maps that show the exact location of both Coyote and Tornak yurts, so this really is public information.)

Now... if anybody has a map showing Bench Hut location and routes, I'd love to swap, as that is the destination for NEXT February's trip.

Ken Grover

p.s. If you go in to Coyote - or to any of the other back country yurts in this area - and don't have someone in your party who has been there before, DO NOT go in without a guide. I can easily see how we might have spent a night out in the cold except for the fact that two members of our group had been in previously and knew what landmarks to look for.