Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    I have no problem reusing holes. Drilling out the plastic plugs and just screwing in worked great. But I stopped taking my skis to that shop when they bought the new machine and started tuning that way. Seemed totally unnecessary to remove bindings multiple times just for a tune. Plus tunes became full race tunes, which I don’t like on a wider everyday LCC ski.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I screw a drywall screw into the plastic plugs and pull them out, seems to work really well and not damage any of the threads like you could potentially do with a drillbit.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I screw a drywall screw into the plastic plugs and pull them out, seems to work really well and not damage any of the threads like you could potentially do with a drillbit.
    Thread drift... do people just pound the inserts in dry?

I can't see how they would come out with a drywall screw the way I put them in, which is with epoxy.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Thread drift... do people just pound the inserts in dry?

I can't see how they would come out with a drywall screw the way I put them in, which is with epoxy.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Most people use glue, yeah that wont work if you use epoxy.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I have no problem reusing holes. Drilling out the plastic plugs and just screwing in worked great. But I stopped taking my skis to that shop when they bought the new machine and started tuning that way. Seemed totally unnecessary to remove bindings multiple times just for a tune. Plus tunes became full race tunes, which I don’t like on a wider everyday LCC ski.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Glad you came along to corroborate. I expected to catch a rash of shit from people thinking I was making that up.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    So, as a piece , even of evidence that re-using holes is a-ok, there was (perhaps they still do it the same way, but I can't say) a shop in Utah that was renowned for the quality of it's tunes, and every single pair of skis that got a full tune there had the bindings removed and remounted, because they felt they got a superior tune versus using a bridge.
    I read about that ^^ and it sounded like BS to me cuz it makes MORE sense that you want to tune the ski in the state that you will be skiing it

In other words even if the binding somehow made the bases less flat or wtf which I highly doubt, when the binding was screwed back on the tension of tightening down all those screws would affect the ski if in fact it did anything in the first place

and they charged a lot of money to take the bindings off for a tune, yeah it was exclusive but had no purpose

i've epoxied in binding plugs and it makes them pretty hard to get out but just hit the middle of the plug with a really small bit and use the drywall screw

I've also drilled the really small hole and just screwd the binding on right thru the plug when i reused the hole and that also worked, IMO you rpobably don't need to epoxy plastic plugs

but nowdays i would use the BBQ skewers because I got whole package of them and sourcing plugs would be much more hassle
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I read about that ^^ and it sounded like BS to me cuz it makes MORE sense that you want to tune the ski in the state that you will be skiing it

In other words even if the binding somehow made the bases less flat or wtf which I highly doubt, when the binding was screwed back on the tension of tightening down all those screws would affect the ski if in fact it did anything in the first place

and they charged a lot of money to take the bindings off for a tune, yeah it was exclusive but had no purpose
    That wasn't the rationale behind it. If a ski has a binding on it, you have to use a bridge to be able to run it through certain tuning machines. The shop I referred to removed bindings for a tune because they felt that even with the bridge, the machine produced an uneven finish on the base and edges compared to when it was run through flat/without bindings.

I had a number of skis tuned by said shop, and their prices were no different from other shops in the area.

must be a different shop cuz the shop i seen advertising wanted way more money for a tune

in any case its claiming there is a problem where none exists

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    As someone working on this right now this method works great if the plugs aren't epoxied in there. If they are epoxied the screw will sort of just shred the plug and not pull the whole thing out cleanly, or only the top half of the plug will come out. If you didn't plug them yourself it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's glue or epoxy, so I may go with the drill out method moving forward
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    As someone working on this right now this method works great if the plugs aren't epoxied in there. If they are epoxied the screw will sort of just shred the plug and not pull the whole thing out cleanly, or only the top half of the plug will come out. If you didn't plug them yourself it's pretty much impossible to tell if it's glue or epoxy, so I may go with the drill out method moving forward
    This is true, but in my experience if the skis were mounted at a shop it’s going to be glue

Epoxy doesn't necessarily stick to poly all that well really(any glue for that matter) without prep. Especially shiny plastic. I'm guessing nobody preps plugz

I have epoxied in the plastic plugs mostly for shits and giggles and they are really in there, the slow set really makes a difference and makes em harder to get out

I don't think epoxying/gluing plastic plugs is necessary, i have only ever seen shops hammer them in and that is probably enough

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Epoxy doesn't necessarily stick to poly all that well really(any glue for that matter) without prep. Especially shiny plastic. I'm guessing nobody preps plugz
    It's sticking well enough in these holes to shred the plug. Heels and toes were plugged on separate occasions on the skis I'm currently working on and the heel plugs clearly used wood glue and pop right out with the screw whereas the toe plugs just sort of explode or rip in half. Maybe they just hammered in some super plugs on the toes, who knows
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

FTR, I epoxy as well and just pop plugs in mostly. It's definitely better than glue, but either way I believe some sort of adhesive should be used because plugs can leak too. Not every hole being plugged is created =.

I just drip in some Gflex and pop the bubble after a few minutes so the hole fills up. Or I squirt some Goop in the hole. Plugs seem like an unnecessary step, but they are probably faster than dealing with epoxy if you are working in a shop and time matters