Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I think the winds, if they are as bad as NOAA says, will not last all day. In any case, I am thinking it should be good enough, and I will be at Squaw tomorrow, where they measure their base totals in wind-drifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Type South Lake Tahoe, CA into NOAA and you get the same thing.

Friday: Partly cloudy. Highs 21 to 31. East winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Gusts to 80 mph over ridges.
    It's there alright. If you look up anywhere that the Reno office covers, you get the high wind forecast (SLT, Tahoe City, Incline, etc). If you look up anywhere that the Sacramento office covers (Kirkwood, Norden, Truckee, etc.), the forecast doesn't look as bad.

Unfortunately, I think the Reno office has it more dead on. Also unfortunately, I already made plans to head up tomorrow.

It's just surprising that the forecasts differ so much. Usually, they're worded slightly different, but have very, very similar forecasts.
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Quote Originally Posted by Ubersheist View Post
    It's there alright. If you look up anywhere that the Reno office covers, you get the high wind forecast (SLT, Tahoe City, Incline, etc). If you look up anywhere that the Sacramento office covers (Kirkwood, Norden, Truckee, etc.), the forecast doesn't look as bad.

Unfortunately, I think the Reno office has it more dead on. Also unfortunately, I already made plans to head up tomorrow.

It's just surprising that the forecasts differ so much. Usually, they're worded slightly different, but have very, very similar forecasts.
    This is where your error is. Sacramento office only covers west slopes of the sierra up to 6K or right about Kingvale (zone 69) so being lower elevation and west facing there is not strong east wind there. Truckee, Kirkwood, and everything in Tahoe basin and east of crest is covered by Reno office and is zone 72. High elevation + east facing = strong east winds.
    See this map http://www.weather.gov/mirs/public/p...rnia_north.htm
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    This is where your error is. Sacramento office only covers west slopes of the sierra up to 6K or right about Kingvale (zone 69) so being lower elevation and west facing there is not strong east wind there. Truckee, Kirkwood, and everything in Tahoe basin and east of crest is covered by Reno office and is zone 72. High elevation + east facing = strong east winds.
    See this map http://www.weather.gov/mirs/public/p...rnia_north.htm
    Hmm... I see... sort of. So, does this mean that while Mt. Rose and Heavenly will be hammered by wind, Sugar Bowl will be slightly breezy with 2 or 3 feet of light fluffy goodness while Northstar has wind blasted cement? That's what I'm hoping since I already locked myself into going tomorrow.

You can't bail out of work, can you?
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    IS this thing over already?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubersheist View Post
    Hmm... I see... sort of. So, does this mean that while Mt. Rose and Heavenly will be hammered by wind, Sugar Bowl will be slightly breezy with 2 or 3 feet of light fluffy goodness while Northstar has wind blasted cement? That's what I'm hoping since I already locked myself into going tomorrow.

You can't bail out of work, can you?
    Sugar Bowl will get less wind than KWood or Alpine/Squaw for sure. Lincoln will still get destroyed but I'll bet the rollover/stuff in trees below Judah bowl will be good.
    And no, I can't get off work tomorrow . It's only this weekend at Kirkwood for me.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOD SWEAT STEEL View Post
    IS this thing over already?
    Clear and windy in the Bay.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Phone report from a buddy in Colfax 5 mins. ago says clear as a bell.

According to the KW webcam 6 is turning and it is still snowing. Based on radar it seems to be winding down.

This thread was jinxtastic!

Quote Originally Posted by ja_surf View Post
    As of 2:00 PM, snotel was reporting 7 inch's at Carson, and 12 inch's at Heavenly.

Sierra did you grab a Jongala ride at Lunch?
    What are these sites? I must add them to my weather control center.

Edit: Maybe this is it? http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/
    Last edited by descender; 01-04-2007 at 05:02 PM.

Word is Cohee was full of shit and the storm eeked out a few inches and some rain at Kirkwood. Mix that with the huge winds and tomorrow is gonna blow. Not really worth a drive up from the Bay Area. Save it for the next one guys.
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

ragin on the cam

http://www.kirkwood.com/winter0607/webcam.php

I should have gone.. My Squaw posse talke me out of it.

i just got back from squaw and kt was skiing well. no one was there early, the line was maybe three min long at 2:30 when i left. the alternates were fast and smooth and dead tree/garden were the highlights i thought. tomarrow should still be pretty good i think. huckwheat- pm me if you are skiing tomarrow.

Quote Originally Posted by FollowMe View Post
    Word is Cohee was full of shit and the storm eeked out a few inches and some rain at Kirkwood. Mix that with the huge winds and tomorrow is gonna blow. Not really worth a drive up from the Bay Area. Save it for the next one guys.
    He's alive!!!

B, we thought about you last weekend. Been too long man.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

storm looks done in slt county w/ some blue sky appearing and prolly 6-8" on the ground. pretty damn close to what was forecasted even down to the storm warning expiring at 4 pm. while not huge, this storm was wwhat we needed w/ some slop followed by some heavy. some cold temps tonight to dry it out further and then some settling will = some fun skiing manana if you know where to look. lift op's may be hindered but skins never go on windhold.

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Mmmmm...Kirkwood webcam looking tasty!
    It was even tastier in person.

Quote Originally Posted by FollowMe View Post
    You are joking right? It was about knee deep in the trees in wagon wheel bowl.

I just read the Reno "Forecast Discussion" and they no longer mention the evil-e. Fing fings crossed.
    Last edited by AKA; 01-04-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    He's alive!!!

B, we thought about you last weekend. Been too long man.
    I'm pumped. I think I'm actually gonna make it up tomorrow. Are you gonna be out there?

Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    My plan exactly. Look for Bros with the magenta bases, with a dorkwad astride them.
    ummm.... did you leave the kids at home today? our group killed it today. had some fresh tracks all around. 3 coaches and 5 kids = happy skiing for all. i would have stayed till the closing bell, but my "real" work thing was calling. . overall AM rocked. if the winds don't blow all the snow away, look for the coach on Volkl Sumos tomorrow
    Last edited by onehotchili; 01-04-2007 at 06:34 PM.

Enchanted forest to Adrenaline was the bomb today...deep....lots of pillow drops in that area in the early season.....

Quote Originally Posted by AKA View Post
    You are joking right?
    Hehehehe...

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Cement View Post
    I know of a few good sheltered spots to escape those bastard winds tomorrow morning while Kirkwood is on wind hold.
    ...Northstar ?..

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    ...Northstar ?..
    I really really doubt he was talking about that "mountain".