any girls ride stocklis? (also lookin for im103 and bigstix comparison)

ive got a line on a pair of Stormrider DPs for about half of retail, but can only get a 171 or a 201 and lord knows i don't want the 201.

i need a beefier fat ski, the pocket noodles are gettin too soft to ski more than fresh on a regular basis

so i was wondering if any girls out there had some experience with this ski. I was thinking i would get whichever new "beefier" ski in a 180 or so, so also wondering about any comments on the stormrider DP in the 171.

today i skiied my old slalom skis (atomic SL9 165cm) for fun, and to go back to something more substantial in stiffness, but obviously feeling an overall need still for fatter and longer.

other skis i'm considering are the head iM105 and the Fischer Bix Stix 10.6 (but don't have the deal on those) and i also saw the seth pistol was on sale at backcountrystore.com

basics i have are:

my current P-noodles.... 175cm 122/90/115
    Stormrider DP............... 171cm 121/91/108
    iM103.......................... 183cm 126/103/118
    Big Stix FX 10.6........... 180cm 135/106/123
    SethPistol..................... 179cm 128/95/118

but i'm looking really for a stifness/beefy/tracked out pow/crud busting comparison....

i've seen both ends of the spectrum from other big stix posts -some say it's only good for untracked pow and some say its great for that AND it powers through junk. whats the deal guys?

and the seth pistols...i've seen a lot of posts saying they aren't as stiff either....

ok just kidding on the seth pistol i guess they only have the 169 left.

edit: hmm...looks like REI has them for 450..

p.s. have you guys ever used froogle.com to find prices???? amazing
    Last edited by Lynx; 02-21-2004 at 01:32 AM.

I may know of a pair of Nordica W105's in 170 undrilled and still in the plastic if you are intersested

I know its not polite to ask, but for all the skis you are looking at, strength and height/weight are major concerns. How you like to ski also makes a difference. Are you willing to deal with a skis weaknesses so that you have its strengths available to you when you want it?

If you like to haul ass in all conditions and arent such a big fan of turning, get the Stockli (though to me a 171 sounds damn short) or Head's and probably Stockli over Head if you are looking for an every day all mountain ski. If you like to turn more and are willing to take a ski with a little less top end, get the Fischer or K2's. And probably the Fischer's if you are looking for more of a powder ski and the Pistols if you are looking for an everyday ski.

I also don't see why you would be ok with a 171 Stockli but dismiss the Pistol in a 169.

I have been one of the people who has not been a huge fan of the BS 106 in anything but powder, but I am starting to think that is a binding issue (freerides) rather than a ski issue. The ski is great in powder, ok in crud/junk, and damn scary at speed on groomer. Granted, my benchmark ski for all of these things is a Volkl G41 which is probably the best crud/junk ski ever made and the only ski i have been on since my 225cm Dynamic VR27DH that didn't have a top end.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Re,
    you know my size & weight I have the SS ( same as the DP ) in a 186 & love it.

For a strong skier the 171 should be just what the dr ordered, especially if you rock the PR in a 175

I know a girl Laura sfrom the bird who is on her second pair of Stokli storm riders & digs em she skis around that length

Seth Pistols == very soft.
    vapor lock - bitch.

I think the head and SS are the best crud busters (and stiffest) so try them, but the nordica 105 in 170 the price would be right and that is a great one too or a 165 CMH explosive or a 173 wizzard too (I'm out of the CMH but know of a 173 wizz for $500 CND)

idris: any beta on the nordicas? how they ski? i haven't heard much about them

fez: i'm working on building my quiver. i'm not looking for one ski to do absolutely everything, but i do have multiple requirements. as for being ok with a 171 stockli and dismissing the 169 pistol.....as i said before, the only lengths available to me at a good price for the stormrider are 201 and 171.....and while i admitt i have yet to demo either ski, the seth pistol has a reputation for being soft and stockli for being stiff. some skis ski "shorter" or "longer" than their actual length, right? also, right now i'm on a 175 PR which has me thinking i might want to go longer on a new fat ski, but perhaps it's not as neccessary to go so long with a stormrider......thats why i inquired about going shorter in the stormrider dp.

woodsy: sounds good

phunk: is that the ultra-equalizing very soft? the pistols weren't really high on my list, just the discounted price. (i finally got my first pay check from star......not so exciting)

mtnlion: always there for us i'll think on it, but i have to admit i'm leaning to the stocklis and heads and might be able to work something on the heads too. and HEY! Ingrid said she met you and you told her to check out the thread that mentioned her win in canada and also said that you were super nice. (though i think we all realize that last part anyway)

I don't know what you mean, Lynx.
    vapor lock - bitch.

Tresckow Guest
    Ms Tresckow has a pair of CMH explosives in a 165, mounted up with demo binders, sitting against the wall in our kitchen.

All you have to do is ask.

Almost forgot, she has a pair of 168 Little Big Fats she hasn't skied all season. I'm confident you could demo those as well, though I hear they are not very confidence-inspiring at speed on the groomers.

I worked with a guy who skis a pair of the DP's in the 171. The dude is kinda big, and while I have to wonder about his decision making process regarding something so short ( he's gotta tip the 200 mark), he is happy and raves about how versitle they are. If you can get them cheap, you really won't be dissipointed.

How cheap are they?

Originally posted by Lynx

The nordica w105 is one of my all time favorites. 125-105-115. Stiff, but not crazy stiff, super damp, stable, well built, fast, and even does well railing groomers for a fat ski. Construction is bomber, 2 layers of metal with a wood core and vertical sidewalls. I have 50 days on mine skiing all bc in europe and silverton, have hit many rocks with no major damage. I got a pair of 170s for my sister and she raves about them. She used to be a big turner, but now she like to point em! A good choice for a fat ski--I'd get a pair now while you still can since they are not being built anymore.

mtnlion: always there for us i'll think on it, but i have to admit i'm leaning to the stocklis and heads and might be able to work something on the heads too. and HEY! Ingrid said she met you and you told her to check out the thread that mentioned her win in canada and also said that you were super nice. (though i think we all realize that last part anyway)
    Oh gee shucks ..

Let me know if you need some 105s shipped down to you I think they are $200 CND in 170 only

Ask Ingrid if she ever got a smaller boot? and where is the beer that she owes us??

lynx, those are the skis i was on in LL. ya know, big and pinkisorangish. they fucking rule!

04/05 pistols = butter lovin' flex. stiffer then this years, actually pretty stiff in the middle third of the ski. me wants very bad
    smoke crack and worship satan

Originally posted by mntlion

Let me know if you need some 105s shipped down to you I think they are $200 CND in 170 only
    200 CDN!! man, i Love Canada i might just go for it at that price. the stocklis are like 400 US, but for a stockli thats not so bad, and i think i could do the heads for around 400 including binders. but 200 CDN! Mmmmmmmmmmm......what say you on binders?

hell, if you don't buy those 105's I will.

go for the 04/05 pistols - from the sound of what you're looking for .. you'll love them. they kick the crap out of the PRs. sure, they are a little soft in the tip but its a meaty ski - i ride them in just about everything.

lynx,
    I tele both the Stormrider DP 186 and W105 190 and they are the two best pairs that i own. You should really just decide between the two. I would go for the 105's since it is a quiver ski... the stockli is more versitale though. I bought my girlfirend a pair of W105s because i liked mine so much. They rock and are getting harder and harder to find (especially in 190), i would jump on the chance to snag them.
    Peace

If anyone is looking for the 105's the sport check in Burnaby BC had them for $200 CND. Call them and ask, but I can't buy them of ship them as I'm stuck in blue river.