Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Update?

Hey smiTTy, I imagine you've had some more days on the karma, what's the word so far?

According to the Volkl rep I spoke to at the Rustler demo-rama last week, the AX4 has the same dimensions as the G4 and the only difference is the name change. Was he BSing me? BTW, the Karmas I saw there looked shweet.... didn't demo em cause I was too busy trying to get out to rip the schit.

Angry

the ax4's and the g4's are the same exact ski haven't we gone over this a thousand times????

no ax4 next year

Originally posted by bisnibble
    the ax4's and the g4's are the same exact ski haven't we gone over this a thousand times????

no ax4 next year
    oh. he told me there was going to be one. that is sad. very sad. and i didn't read all the threads about the G4s disappearing as I never skied em.

no ax4 next year
    Heh. I was chilling with the utah rep last night and he said the same thing, no ax4/g4 and no v-pro next year. Karma is filling double duty for both.

Heh. I was chilling with the utah rep last night and he said the same thing, no ax4/g4 and no v-pro next year. Karma is filling double duty for both.
    those karma's better rip..............they have a lot to live up to

those karma's better rip..............they have a lot to live up to
    Seriously, I don't think you'll find many people that have skied the vpro and/or g4 and think they were failures of ski design in need of full blown replacement. I need to RA my G4's for delaming and I may have to buy upgrade to the karma.

Well I have never skied the G4, AX4 or V-pro...so I can't make any comparisons there. All I can say is I am VERY pleased with this ski. It lived up to and surpased all of my expectations. I've taken this ski everywhere from tight trees in the spring, to open bowls on deep days, to absolutely carving the shit out of groomers, to rails at the Bird, to 25 foot drops and pretty much everywhere else. It is seriously a ski you can take anywhere and be happy with its performance. They are super stable when you just point em...not much chatter or anything like that...and they are very quick from edge to edge when you wanna slow down a lil bit. Rails were a little odd at first because of the extra 10mm or so underfoot (compared to my old Lines), but now I am sliding rails even better than before. The twintip is large enough to feel confident on big 180's and 540's (yes Phunk...I did get my 5's dialed the other day..Brady helped me out there). The bases have been holding up really well even though I've been sliding tons of rails in the last 3 weeks or so. The topsheets still look brand new...except for some nicks around the edges of the tips. I really don't see the topsheet ever looking bad because of the whole grip-tape thing.

So yeah...I would have to say this is probably one of the best truly all-mountain skis out there. It doesn't have any particular specialty, but it can handle any type of terrain you throw at it.

Wo wo. Sweetness in ski form.
    Wrecker of dreams.

Originally posted by smiTTy
    [B]the whole grip-tape thing
    Do they collect more snow on the top sheet?

It’s so quiet, it’s so cool, it’s so cold

I got to ski a pair and they are awsome. definently the stiffest twin I;ve ever been on. as smitty said they're a true all mountain ski.

Seriously, I don't think you'll find many people that have skied the vpro and/or g4 and think they were failures of ski design in need of full blown replacement.
    That's wierd because I know tons of people on G40/G4's etc for their everyday ski...I personally have been through 5 pairs.

I love them....rip on groomers, super stiff/stable tail, twin...(can land fakie in the pipe and land 180's without issue.) I truely believe that they are one of the greatest skis of all time....you can do anything on them.

The twin on them is a little small and a fuller twin would be better for landing fakie in powderish conditions.

I also own a pair of v-pro's...they rip as well, super carvy-stiff twin, and just fun....just a little short. More of a park-riding ski (obviously) and summer hiking ski than anything else.

So...I have a connection and may possibly be getting a pair of the new Karmas, and hopefully they live up to what you say...the stiffest twin ever...if so, I'll be a happy man.

Thanks for your reviews

the grip tape top sheet - is it sand paper like rough? If so, it will probably chew through jackets and pack straps when on you shoulder for hikes. Is this a concern?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

I was wondering the same thing about the grip tape. It seems like a kinda cool idea but i can see it causing a bunch of problems. Wearing through pack straps, gloves, parka shoulders, building up snow... maybe it will even munch up your car rack. Who knows... I am sure we will know soon enough. Otherwise those look like some nice versatile boards. Way to snag a pair, its always fun to have something first. Keep us all up to date.

Originally posted by Oslo T. Norway
    3 Lengths. 169 177 185
    wtf, no adult sizes??

how about a little love for the big guy!!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Originally posted by skier666
    That's wierd because I know tons of people on G40/G4's etc for their everyday ski...I personally have been through 5 pairs.

I love them....rip on groomers, super stiff/stable tail, twin...(can land fakie in the pipe and land 180's without issue.) I truely believe that they are one of the greatest skis of all time....you can do anything on them.
    Uh, I said i don't think many people had issues with the G4's and vpros.

They had two models that just about everyone i've talked to loved. It was actually my everyday ski as well, probably close to 90-100 days on them in the last two seasons.

Originally posted by Platinum Pete
    the grip tape top sheet - is it sand paper like rough? If so, it will probably chew through jackets and pack straps when on you shoulder for hikes. Is this a concern?
    It's the same finish as most of the non-freeride (or whatever you like to call it) Volkl skis have had this season, I think. I haven't heard about any problems.

anyone have any data as to how stiff the Karma is compared to the G4? I'm trying to figure out whats going to replace my G4 when it finally bites the dust. The stormrider may be a little to wide for EC. Does Igneous make anything close to a 80 waist with a 20.2 m radius sidecut?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

My bad....I read too fast!

That's what I thought....great skis and will be missed.

The topsheets aren't actual grip tape...they are grip-tapish. They are mostly black with some texture to them that you can feel. It's not at all harsh like sandpaper...just kind of a somewhat rough surface made up of tiny little round bumps. There are no worries about eating through a pack or you shoulder or anything like that. The top sheet is just very unique and a good conversation starter in the tram line...but I don't think there is any functional purpose for it. You might get a little better grip when hiking with em over your shoulder or reaching for a grab in the air, but I think it was designed just for cosmetic purposes...and in that area they did a great job. Snow sticks to the tops like it does on all skis...no more or no less from what I have observed.