!@&)$!@&$! North American pricing

Why is a ski that costs 285 Euro in France sold for $450-$500 in the USA? (Volkl Outback, if anybody cares about the ski). I hate this. Even with a Euro that is 1.27 dollars (thanks Bush) it's still way overpriced here.

Argh. Needed to vent about that.

drC

Which means shop job. Which I don't have. Or a good friend in a shop who really wants to help (PM me if you're that friend for K2s). And Pro form is even more than buying in Europe. Helloooo?!

drC

makes sense to me.

Tell me, who manufactures skis in the US on a large scale? Now, tell me who manufactures skis on a large scale in the EU.

That alone is enough to drive price tags up, but I think there's a bit of national pride in there as well. They'd rather see their own people own a pair of their skis as opposed to a foreigner.

not that I don't think the prices here in the US could be a bit lower...
    Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 people.

Swiss powda, do you really think so? I think it's just because in the USA, with so little free time (2 weeks vacation) people are willing to pay through the nose for recreation, and well, then it's capitalism and demand/offer balance at work.

K2 and Volant skis are also much cheaper in Europe. Don't tell me it's the exchange rate...

drC

yeah, the supply/demand factor might have something to do with it. I actually failed econ, so you probably shouldn't take my thoughts seriously.

I'm guessing the only way you'd be able to get the prices of skis to come would be to either boycott by buying euro, or wait to the end of season sales

on a side note, I was pretty sure K2 produces most of its skis in China. I've no idea about Volant though.
    Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 people.

it depends on how they distribute their product. specialized skis might cost more than your average ski due to differences in the quantities shipped at a time. shipping between the continents ain't cheap either.

you're talking about a difference of only $138-88 bucks here. (285 * 1.27 = 361.75). add some shipping, any taxes or duties, and it doesn't seem that outrageous.

well there's A. the fact that many ski manufacturers are located in Europe, thus eliminating large shipping costs and increasing the likelihood they want to kick a little som'n to their countrymen and B. Europeans have less disposable income than Americans.