Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Another Winter Storm Watch for Denver

ANOTHER WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO COLORADO ON THURSDAY. IT HAS THE POTENTIAL OF PRODUCING HEAVY SNOWFALL OVER NORTHEASTERN AND NORTH CENTRAL COLORADO. THIS INCLUDES THE DENVER METRO AREA AND ALL THE URBAN CORRIDOR. THE TRACK OF THE STORM IS STILL IN QUESTION WITH SOME SCENARIOS ALLOWING FOR WIDESPREAD HEAVY SNOWFALL IN MOST AREAS. THEREFORE A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT. THIS STORM SHOULD HAVE A COLDER AIRMASS ASSOCIATED WITH IT COMPARED TO THE ONE LAST WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. IN ADDITION...STRONG WINDS ARE POSSIBLE DURING THE COURSE OF THE STORM WHICH COULD PRODUCE WIDESPREAD BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.

Another upslope? What's the deal? I still can't believe they were forecasting no snow on the front range until late February due to el nino. At least the San Juans and Taos are getting their own winter storm watch. Road trip!
    I wish I had two dicks

According to snowforecast.com, the resorts will be getting their share of this storm. Keystone ~16 inches, WP a little more... antijinx!!! (as long as the roads are driveable in Denver)

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    (as long as the roads are driveable in Denver)
    Key phrase right there. We were going to hit our condo in Summit, but are going to wait and see the track and maybe just do non I-70 trips based from Boulder.

The forecast seems to change every hour, so who knows what might shake out.

I'm supposed to be flying into Denver Friday morning...could be interesting.

That's it. I am coming in January and renting a car. Who's down to hook up in SumCo or WP/Fraser..?

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    According to snowforecast.com, the resorts will be getting their share of this storm. Keystone ~16 inches, WP a little more... antijinx!!! (as long as the roads are driveable in Denver)
    I wouldn't count on Summit County getting a ton of snow with this. Seriously. It seems like the forecasters always call for more snow than what is available during these southern track/upslope storms. The San Juans and Front Range should see the most snow.
    Old's Cool.

flying back in friday as well... trying to change it so i can fly in today otherwise it will be interesting

I'm flying in Thursday night. Hoping the flight doesn't get cancelled.
    Ride Fast, Live slow.

We're mountain people. This is what we do, this is how we live. -D.C.

This one has the potential to be even colder than the last system. There is a lot of uncertainty regarding this storm as it appears that a trowal will develop on the northwest side of the closed low and with the mountaintop temps at -15C to -21C it could be perfect for dendritic snow growth.

There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding this system, but I am headed up to either Loveland or Bert early tomorrow. Friday should be a shitshow driving anywhere and Saturday could be "the" day as model runs have been trending slower and deeper with this system
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Here We Go Again!
    i'm flying in for the start of a tour on Thursday mornng (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71825)... since nobody cares about that thread

If anybody gets stuck in the airport.... check TGR for rides/airport bar meetings.
    Cheers, SS

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    I wouldn't count on Summit County getting a ton of snow with this. Seriously. It seems like the forecasters always call for more snow than what is available during these southern track/upslope storms. The San Juans and Front Range should see the most snow.
    Keystone got a good amount last time... I've got my fingers crossed.

Of course, I'm not flying in until tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping that I can even get into DIA. My flight arrives at 10:30, so I'm thinking I'll be OK. If the roads are passable, I'll be at Keystone or Loveland on Friday and Saturday.

You guys suck. Have fun Friday.

That is all.
    Last edited by Deep Days; 12-27-2006 at 12:50 PM.
    "I said flotation is groovy"
    -Jimi Hendrix

"Just... ski down there and jump offa somethin' for cryin' out loud!!!"
    -The Coolest Guy to have Ever Lived

Quote Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
    Here We Go Again!
    i'm flying in for the start of a tour on Thursday mornng (http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=71825)... since nobody cares about that thread

If anybody gets stuck in the airport.... check TGR for rides/airport bar meetings.
    Cheers, SS

damn the one time i don't bring my laptop home is the one time i have the potential to be stuck in an airport... pity

Quote Originally Posted by Seldom Seen View Post
    Here We Go Again!

Cheers, SS
    Dammit Seldom! We don't care. Really, we don't give a crap.

Big one of these right here -->

On a related side note... It better hit central this time and get stuck for a month or two. I am tired of tuning my sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    This one has the potential to be even colder than the last system. There is a lot of uncertainty regarding this storm as it appears that a trowal will develop on the northwest side of the closed low and with the mountaintop temps at -15C to -21C it could be perfect for dendritic snow growth.

There is still a lot of uncertainty regarding this system, but I am headed up to either Loveland or Bert early tomorrow. Friday should be a shitshow driving anywhere and Saturday could be "the" day as model runs have been trending slower and deeper with this system
    did you take some meterology classes or something while you were at law school? The sky is starting to turn pretty storm like \ black up here in Silverthrone. either be at copper or loveland manana.

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    did you take some meterology classes or something while you were at law school? The sky is starting to turn pretty storm like \ black up here in Silverthrone. either be at copper or loveland manana.
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?...D&issuedby=BOU

Read the NWS discussion each period and learn to understand all of the lingo they use and pretty soon you'll know more than you'd learn in a semester's worth of meteorology class.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

Read the NWS discussion each period and learn to understand all of the lingo they use and pretty soon you'll know more than you'd learn in a semester's worth of meteorology class.
    Precisely. All it takes is those discussion pages and google and you too can be a amateur, jong meterologist such as myself.

Phil, I suggest Loveland tomorrow as that is where I will most likely be unless I can scramble together some bc partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post

I started doing that this season and yet I still know nothing! Orographic uplift anyone?
    Last edited by cmsummit; 12-27-2006 at 03:28 PM.
    Old's Cool.

I started doing that this season and yet I still know nothing! Orographic uplift anyone?
    Orographic uplift is what happens with the wind pushes moisture up against the mountains creating snowfall. As the moist air rises, it cools and falls as snow. The mountains in Colorado are oriented in a fashion that certain systems have an orographic component. As an example, a storm coming from the PacNW will usually have a NW flow, which favors the northern mountains as they are oriented facing more towards the northwest. Alternatively, cutoff lows such as the one about to hit give the SW San juans a blasting because there is usually a strong SW flow before the storm and the mountain are oriented towards the SW. The flow then switches to the E/NE which favors the eastern slopes of the Front Range as those mountains are oriented in that direction.

ANY REASON THOSE
    NOAA GUYS HAVE
    TO TALK IN ALL CAPS,
    IT GIVES ME A FREAKING
    HEADACHE.

Why YES! Please. I'll take all the Oro-up you can give me. Being on the downslope makes this a rare thing.

Eldora....last storm hit them with almost 30"....

last time they were predicting 4-8", then all of the sudden the last day (wed), they changed their tune as we had 10" by noon...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rontele View Post
    Orographic uplift is what happens with the wind pushes moisture up against the mountains creating snowfall. As the moist air rises, it cools and falls as snow. The mountains in Colorado are oriented in a fashion that certain systems have an orographic component. As an example, a storm coming from the PacNW will usually have a NW flow, which favors the northern mountains as they are oriented facing more towards the northwest. Alternatively, cutoff lows such as the one about to hit give the SW San juans a blasting because there is usually a strong SW flow before the storm and the mountain are oriented towards the SW. The flow then switches to the E/NE which favors the eastern slopes of the Front Range as those mountains are oriented in that direction.
    = 24" of blower at Cuchara

Yeah, but as the low moves east, there will be wraparound moisture in a more N/NW flow which will favor the Northern and Central mountains around Aspen.

...WINTER STORM WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT...

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH LATE FRIDAY NIGHT.

HEAVY SNOWFALL IS POSSIBLE ACROSS THE URBAN CORRIDOR AND ADJACENT PLAINS FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY. NEW SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 7 TO 14 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE OVER THE URBAN CORRIDOR AND 3 TO 6 INCHES OVER THE ADJACENT PLAINS FROM THURSDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH DAYBREAK FRIDAY MORNING. ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS WILL OCCUR ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT. NORTH TO NORTHEAST WINDS AT SPEEDS OF 10 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 35 MPH WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF BLOWING AND MUCH DRIFTING SNOW.

Denver alerts....great, my street STILL has a 12" layer of ice and crud on it...lol

either way, bring it on....I love it....

viva El nino?