Stolen Shovel and Probe

Just putting this out there in case someone knows who did it.

So I was up from Colorado at Big Sky visiting some friends who go to Northwestern. They were staying at one of the Powder Ridge Cabins (? maybe 120?... I think). Everyone was hanging out having a good time one night when some locals showed up. They just opened the front door and walked right into the place where my friends were staying (got the cabin through the school; it wasn't theirs) and busted the party. I normally don't have a problem with people crashing parties, but under the circumstances (it was not a real party, just a small collection of friends who all knew each other) it was a little inappropriate. A friend of mine politely told them they needed to leave, in which case they cursed, threw beers, and stole some shit from the front porch... including my shovel and probe. Not only was it a bummer to have my shit stolen, but even more of a bummer when I couldn't ski the Big the rest of the week. It was the 13th or 14th of this month.

Any chance anyone knows these people and might be able to get it back... long shot, I know.

Also, I know I saw one of the kids in the park the day before (didn't see him there again) and over heard him tell some newb to get lost because he didn't have some pot on him (dead serious). I got the impression that all the guys that showed up were snowboarding park rat fucks.

I say snowboarding to be descriptive, not derogatory.

That's a huge bummer, man. I was up in Big Sky last year and everybody seemed very cool, but I guess there's always one (or in this case a few) who ruins it for everyone.

The people there are great... super friendly. Just a couple drunk assholes, and I'm sure it also had to do with the fact that we were visibly having a good time and that they couldn't stay.

NieveSurfeador...

Can you describe the gear? Any name, markings etc? The reason I ask is this. To ski certain terrain here you need to have and show your beacon, shovel & probe to the patrol & sign out every time before you go. I and my patrollers will keep & eye for your gear. If it appears, I would happily PM you with the info of the fucks that took your gear.

Big Sky has been a great place over the years. Lately we get a few of these types of assholes. They need to go elsewhere.

yeah it was one of those bright yellow bca shovels with a telescoping t-grip handle... it was the tour system shovel with one of the shitty probes in the shaft... i have another probe it just bummed me out about the shovel mainly...

im sure the odds of getting it back are 0, but maybe the pricks will brag about it or something...

anyways, thanks

and if Bunion can identify them, i promise to dispense a heelside chicken wing and grab your gear if they are carrying it.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

see 'intimidating point' on the whole invader/ross douchebag thread... That's enough to get your shovel back, for damn sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

Dude, that sucks.

But maybe you shouldn't leave $300 worth of gear on the front porch?

(Have to say that everyone I've met in Big Sky/Bozeman has been pretty laid back and friendly.)
    Last edited by char; 12-22-2006 at 06:42 AM.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I have a shovel for sale if you are intreasted.

40.00 shipped to colorado to try to cover your loss

it's a brand new w/tags voile telepack shovel. Extending handle 6000 AL + a lifetime warrentee from volie.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    But maybe you should leave $300 worth of gear on the front porch?
    I don't know if you meant shouldn't or you were just being sarcastic, but yes I am happy nothing else significant was left on the porch that could have been stolen. They were supposedly all boarders, so my ski shit wouldn't entice them I suppose (they didn't steal my poles).

The poles I left outside, but the shovel was left outside by a friend who was shoveling around the hut tub. If your being sarcastic then whatev. Trying to blame him for this or myself is bullshit. Yes, I should have made sure everything was inside, but where I was staying was pretty remote. It was a ski in ski out cabin and there were plenty of cabins with other Northwesterners with gear scattered all over the place. I'm sure one of my friends leaked that we were having a small party to someone that worked at Big Sky and it got around to the wrong kids who thought they could crash it. They showed up and realized it wasn't going to fly and stole some shit on their way out. Plain and simple deuchbaggery.

Either way, it really is just flat out sad when you can't trust people and you have to always worry and think about these kind of possibilities. Just sad. Look at the other thread about locking up your boards. While I agree with most, that you shouldn't worry about it because you should eat on the chair, when I do stop these days I split mine up... only because I knew a friend's who were stolen.

Prindle, thanks for the offer but I'm thinking I might get one at x-mas from someone. I'll PM you if not. Thanks bro.

simple case of wrong place wrong time/unfortunate circumstances (that the these dudes came to our cabin)

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Stealing any gear is bad, but stealing avy gear is bad mojo.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

my ski's got jacked back in 93. Nothings changed since then. Buddies board got jacked one night, and as stated earlier, he saw the fucker with it ON THE MOUNTAIN (idiot). needless to say we didnt have to beat his ass. He handed it over. Nothing new here ladies. The one thing ive noticed on the forums is split your ski's up. Wish id thought of that back when i was on the mountain smoking as much weed as i could and catching air there after.
    PS...i didnt lock my shit up after that. Just gave me a reason to get a new set of ski's. Last thing from my min when im on the mountain is someone jacking my shit. If i recall, we could check our shit in and have them hold them. Been awhile though...

Last edited by cramer; 12-22-2006 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    my ski's got jacked back in 93. Nothings changed since then. Buddies board got jacked one night, and as stated earlier, he saw the fucker with it ON THE MOUNTAIN (idiot). needless to say we didnt have to beat his ass. He handed it over. Nothing new here ladies. The one thing ive noticed on the forums is split your ski's up. Wish id thought of that back when i was on the mountain smoking as much weed as i could and catching air there after.
    PS...i didnt lock my shit up after that. Just gave me a reason to get a new set of ski's. Last thing from my min when im on the mountain is someone jacking my shit. If i recall, we could check our shit in and have them hold them. Been awhile though...

If you stopped smoking weed now, it wouldn't help. Sorry.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

sucks about the shovel. assholes everywhere.

cramer - apostrophes never make a word plural. they make nouns possessive. that shit hurts my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by NieveSurfeador View Post
    I don't know if you meant shouldn't or you were just being sarcastic, but yes I am happy nothing else significant was left on the porch that could have been stolen. They were supposedly all boarders, so my ski shit wouldn't entice them I suppose (they didn't steal my poles).

The poles I left outside, but the shovel was left outside by a friend who was shoveling around the hut tub. If your being sarcastic then whatev. Trying to blame him for this or myself is bullshit. Yes, I should have made sure everything was inside, but where I was staying was pretty remote. It was a ski in ski out cabin and there were plenty of cabins with other Northwesterners with gear scattered all over the place. I'm sure one of my friends leaked that we were having a small party to someone that worked at Big Sky and it got around to the wrong kids who thought they could crash it. They showed up and realized it wasn't going to fly and stole some shit on their way out. Plain and simple deuchbaggery.

Either way, it really is just flat out sad when you can't trust people and you have to always worry and think about these kind of possibilities. Just sad. Look at the other thread about locking up your boards. While I agree with most, that you shouldn't worry about it because you should eat on the chair, when I do stop these days I split mine up... only because I knew a friend's who were stolen.

Prindle, thanks for the offer but I'm thinking I might get one at x-mas from someone. I'll PM you if not. Thanks bro.
    Fact: There are lots of not so nice people who will steal your shit, especially if it's not locked up or let unattended.

I speak from experience. It sucks and in no way is it cool, but there are some very easy ways to minimize the chances of it happening to you.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"