Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    im a smoker dont worry about that they will xray your lungs for the amnesia and youll be fine thats the least of your worries, you have a long road ahead and strength and courage will get you through this. Just dont be stupid and do what the doctor says trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlike View Post
    I'm having ankle surgery on 02/24/2012 Im a little scared from reading these post I think I'm only having one plate and two screws put in I'm a smoker and read about the risk of surgery from been a smoker is any one a smoker who had surgery? And how was the healing process?

just hang in there it will get better just find something to do to keep your mind busy half the battle is mental trust me i know. Do things that will make you feel better whether at home or out of the house, but you have to stay productive mentally or your going to break down i learned the har way from this and i think we all have to, to completley understand.

Quote Originally Posted by lct4914 View Post
    I had foot and ankle surgery in aug. 2011. Theht bone in the back of my left ankle for some reason became deformed and shredded my tendons. The surgeon had to reconstruct the bone then remove all the torn tendons. He had to reattach what good tendons i had left. I was in pt for a month before surgery then for 3 months after surgery. Was off work for 3 months. Its been 5 months now and still walk with a limp and terrible pain. I was told the pain is from fatigue. My tendions are still very tight and im still very unbalanced. Also my calf muscle died and they said it has to be retrained. I just had the worse cramp in that muscle that made me scream for awhile. It was the most painful thing ever. Now i cant walk. Im so depressed. Im 56 years old but act younger. This is awlful.

Im not older im 24 also and broke one ankle bone tore the other way out of place and tore my ligaments and tendons throughout my ankle foot and partially up my leg, the pain even at 8 months and 2 surgeries is still there, in a walking boot now with a feeling of not being normal yet. I know this injury will effect me for life and that sucks because im very active with sports and some sports might be gone for life. Sorry i cant give you advice but figured id let you know that your not the only one out there.

Quote Originally Posted by oneteaspoon View Post
    Hello all. I'm Lani and I'm 24 & from Australia. I would like to tell my story, I'll make it quick. Broke my ankle in 3 places, dislocated it and tore tendons whilst practicing falls for roller derby and it was my first every session was operated on straight away (they thought id been in a car accident & couldn't believe how banged up it was for something that had zero impact) anyways a plate & 7 screws later. 2 weeks cast, 6 weeks in total non weight baring, itS coming up 4 months post op on jan 1st and I'm still limping, in heaps of pain, n medication is starting to become lollies as I get use to them. I'm going to make an appointment with another private surgeon who operates on me before (my other ankle I injured at work n had 4 operations on, yes I have shit ankles, arthritis already setting in and I'm only 24). Anyways I'm going to get a second opinion. I would prefer not to have the metal removed as I've read research that indicates your 80% chance of re-fracturing it once the metal is removed.

I am actually really scared for my future. I cannot play sport I use to due to the pain, and a trip to the shops becomes a challenge. What will I be like when I'm 30?, 40?,70? If I'm in so much pain now, popping pills like lollies and unable to enjoy life.

Anyone hear a little older who had surgery on their ankles at a younger age to give me insight to what is to come as doctors tell me they cannot give me that kind of information.

Wish u all a merry Xmas xx

I broke my ankle and the Dr. put it as shattered in 3 places I have a plate and screws and it took months for me to get better, so you are saying you can have the metal taken out ? I haven't even thought about it.

I am 42 and had a broken ankle it will be 2 yr in january it took months to get better have a plate and screws and I am fine on rainy days it hurts some but not unbearable.

Help!! I'm almost 6 months post peroneal tendon and ligament surgery. (cut overstretched ligaments/resewn/groove carved into ankle for tendon to live) Was fine after PT done, started running, biking, skiing, working out and wearing heels again...and now...it hurts worse than before the surgery! Doc said I could've had more micro-tears in tendon, could they be opening up just now? I DO NOT want another surgery, does anyone know if 'infra red' treatments actually work for this stuff? Ugh...it feels like someone is stabbing me behind my ankle with a pair of pointy scissors...help!

At least I didn't break mine, though. I feel for you, miss 24 year old. Ugh.

I broke my calcaneous (heel) bone in seven pieces along with a severe lumbar compression fracture about 2 years ago in a climbing fall. 10 pins, a plate and four surgeries in the foot, and a box fusion in the back connecting L2-L4 but only one procedure. The back was more spooky at first, but has healed really well. The foot has been more difficult. No weight bearing for 3 months, then "as tolerated" which essentially meant increasing periods of time with some weight trying to increase the weight. it was the most painful experience of my life and lasted 6 months. I skied again after one year, more poorly than usual, with some pain but not bad. Am now back to skiing as poorly as i did prior to the fall with minimal pain. I did A LOT of rehab, weights, PT, walking, general fitness etc ... and stayed with it regardless of pain and I think that paid off. One thing to be careful of is getting a severe case of tendinitis once back weight bearing. It's tempting to try to do too much, and at one point my ankle blew up like a cantaloupe and was back on crutches for 6 weeks. So, do a lot, but keep it rational. After two years, I'm not going to run any marathons, but can climb, ski, bike etc ... well enough to be ok. Heel fractures may be a bit different than higher ankle problems.

Its worth it to check in with Healthboards.com. There is a forum for nearly any ailment/disability with lots of people who've gone through it.

I "shattered" (doctor's description, not mine) my ankle in May of 2004 and I still have a plate and 7 screws in there. The tibia was split at the back up about 3", the fibula, he said, looked like two toothbrushes (too many fragments to piece back together) and broke off the medial malleolus. There was no weight bearing on it after the first surgery until 2 weeks after the 2nd surgery which was in August. My spouse and I were cutting down a tree and it landed on my head and shoulders causing a "gymnast's dismount fracture". The darn thing still hurts every day and I now have a job where I have to stand all day so it is HUGE by the time I get home from work.

For two years I suffered with terrible pain an inflammation in my right ankle and my foot was floppy the doctor said, I tried everything boots,braces,orthotics nothing helped so I had surgery this past January 22/2013. I had a plaster cast for 8 weeks then a boot for 2 weeks, and on my 8 th week of PT,
    My surgery was lateral ankle stabilization,ankle arthroscopy and ankle was anchored. I just went back to work on 4/23/2013 which I have put in 6 days 6 hours a day, I work in retail Iam a shift supervisor and the employees really keep me moving the whole time, I am pain free for about 2 hours then the next four hours terrible pain and stiffness tonight I could hardly drive home with using my foot with the gas and brake pedal. Today the doctor said maybe try 4 hours per day, my question is will it ever be pain free? And how long do you think it will take. I never get to set at work.i am afraid I will over excerpt and have to have another surgery. Hope someone can help.

Kaybear - it's way too soon after surgery to draw any conclusions, and in fact it is reassuring that the first two hours of your shift were pain-free. As a general rule of thumb, one can expect to continue improving over the course of a year or so, but obviously this is not a hard rule. You have every reason to stay positive and best of luck.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.

Just got home from PT, working at 4:00-10:00 tonight, at least I have a rest period before work. I just want to be 100%

Hey guys, I'm writing in this thread in hopes of getting some replies... i'm desperate!!

I tore a ligament in my ankle 8 years ago while on a trampoline (and never went to the doctors as a decided to suffer through the pain)! For 6 years after that I played competitive soccer, and I currently am a waitress/ bartender! After many of my shifts, my ankle would be as swollen as a football so I finally decided to go to my doctors to get it looked at! I was immediately sent to an ankle surgeon and had surgery on my ankle on August 9, 2013, to which he cleaned out scar tissue and found my torn ligament and reattached it. It has now been 11 weeks after my surgery and I am as frustrated as can be!! I am a student, and therefore have little time to go to PT, however I have gone about 4 times... to which they only informed me of stretches to do- so I have been doing them to the best of my ability and have not been attending any more appts because my schedule is busy with school!

What mobilization I do have with my ankle is bending my toes towards me, also I can point my toes forward however my ankle does not bend with it to the point that my good ankle does. Another huge issue is i cannot bend my foot inwards. The ligament pulls far too tight on the outside of my foot preventing me from having any motion of turning my foot inwards (this is KILLER). I still cannot wear heels, and the incision area is very painful to touch!! According to my surgeon, ligaments take longer to heel then broken bones... Furthermore, my ankle is still swollen and at times can be very sore.

Any advice, or is there anyone that can tell me this is normal, and will get better with more time?

It'll get better with time. Be hardcore about your PT exercises. Even if you don't have time to go in for appointments, do it at home. It's super crucial for you to regain as much range of motion is possible. Flexion, extension, ankle rolling, etc. Do as much as the pain allows and/or the PT tells you you can do. I wish I'd been better with my PT after past injuries.

Tendon/ligament repairs take a longass time to get back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hello,

I found this thread while researching "ankle surgery recovery times". I am so glad that I found this in there are people out there that have suffered or still are suffering from the same thing that I currently am.

On January 12th 2014, I slipped on a patch of ice while walking and shattered my ankle. I broke both the tibia and fibula and had a bad dislocation. On January 14th 2014, I had surgery and three plates and 14 screws were put around my ankle.

The cast ended up having to be cut off two days later due to swelling, and 3 days after that I finally went home. I was in tons of pain but didn't fully realize what was going on because I was pumped full of so many drugs. Long story short, I am now at the 12 week mark, and also I am walking without crutches and the wound site has finally healed, but I am even in more pain now than when I was recovering & healing from the surgery.

There is so much tightness around my ankle joint and I swell up pretty bad throughout the day. I have switched from oxy to acetaminophen with vicodin because I do not want to get addicted to pain pills, but I find myself wincing after doing simple things like cleaning or cooking. I also feel very insecure about putting weight on my ankle or trying to exercise and balance just on this leg. It's almost as if I feel like my bones are going to shatter again. Does anyone else feel like this?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using TGR Forums

Hi everyone,
    Wow, what a great thread. I'm from New Zealand. 10 days ago I dislocated my left ankle and broke my fibula playing rugby. The ligaments all tore with the impact of the injury. The pain at the time was unreal! I had surgery the following day and have ended up with a plate and three screws. I have a plaster cast which is heavy and driving me crazy. Tomorrow I have my stitches removed and hopefully they put me in a lighter cast!
    Pain since the surgery has varied. The worst part is when I get up and move around on my crutches , all the blood rushes into my ankle and it feels like it's going to explode ! How long does this sensation last for ?
    I am hoping that the comfort levels increase week by week.
    Good luck everyone !

Quote Originally Posted by aj0525 View Post
    I have switched from oxy to acetaminophen with vicodin because I do not want to get addicted to pain pills
    You clearly don't know much about pain pills.

12 weeks seems like a short time considering the scope of your injury treatment. What has your PT regimen been? Mine was 8 weeks for a non-surgical injury, and I kept up on my own for a few more months. It sounds like you're just out of the acute phase, and have a long way to go in terms of rehabilitation, and scar tissue mitigation.

I'm no doc though; just a recovering gimp.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Question: Two years after a car ran me over while biking and my ankle atfl surgery, my ankle still hurts where the plate is. I can not get comfortable as I can not have anything touching the plate so crossing my legs while sitting is out. Is getting the plate removed an option with atfl surgery? My doctors and surgeon never told me this was an option. PS Shaneo.nz ...I totally relate to the blood flowing back into the leg when elevating but that feeling mostly goes away in time.

so glad i just found this thread!

i broke my ankle in 3 places 10 weeks ago and i have a plate and 8/9 screws. cast for 6 weeks no weight bear and walking boot til now. partial weight 2 weeks and since then full weight. Still very tight and havent started pt yet. i have hospital next week for xray and check up. but today ankle has been hurting more so where the plate is and if i rub my hand ovr where plate it i can feel plate unskin.

my question is: can anyone else feel this?

Quote Originally Posted by heather1981 View Post
    so glad i just found this thread!

i broke my ankle in 3 places 10 weeks ago and i have a plate and 8/9 screws. cast for 6 weeks no weight bear and walking boot til now. partial weight 2 weeks and since then full weight. Still very tight and havent started pt yet. i have hospital next week for xray and check up. but today ankle has been hurting more so where the plate is and if i rub my hand ovr where plate it i can feel plate unskin.

my question is: can anyone else feel this?
    I still feel my plates and screws too I broke my ankle 5/24 fell off my Motocycle broke in three places this is so horrible I'm bored can barely get around I have a boot on now but can't put weight on it yet been moving my ankle up and down a lot cause of the tightness hopefully it'll get better I need to work plus I'm so bored trying to occupy my time by playing my PlayStation online wit people, but I hope your recovery goes great give me your updates so I know what to expect thank you!!!

I had the same injury skateboarding 4 weeks ago. i dislocated my ankle and also broke my fibula. I too have one plate and 3 screws. I have been Resting, Icing, Compression, Elevating ( RICE) since the surgry. I am 31, and in fairly good shape. I do smoke(electronic), but have cut back since the injury big time. I am now 3 weeks past post op and i still have the feeling/sensation you are talking about. I have been researching everywhere online and cannot find an answer. Have you heard anything or found any information? I am getting married in 29 days, i am wondering if i will be partial weight bearing on my foot? I have a xray's on the 18th of july. which will be 6 weeks since the surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneo.nz View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Wow, what a great thread. I'm from New Zealand. 10 days ago I dislocated my left ankle and broke my fibula playing rugby. The ligaments all tore with the impact of the injury. The pain at the time was unreal! I had surgery the following day and have ended up with a plate and three screws. I have a plaster cast which is heavy and driving me crazy. Tomorrow I have my stitches removed and hopefully they put me in a lighter cast!
    Pain since the surgery has varied. The worst part is when I get up and move around on my crutches , all the blood rushes into my ankle and it feels like it's going to explode ! How long does this sensation last for ?
    I am hoping that the comfort levels increase week by week.
    Good luck everyone !

Hi all! So glad I found this!
    Last month - 6/19/14 I fell and dislocated my right ankle and had a trimalleolar fracture! Broke it in 6 different places. Then had surgery on the 30th with 2 plates & 8 screws. I was in a splint for 2 weeks, now have a cast for 4 weeks. Next will be a boot. My question is: Can my Dr refuse to give me my pain meds? My next appt will be in 2 weeks, which will make a total of 6 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I'm afraid to go to my next appt and be denied my meds! I'm still in major pain!

Hi , I fell on 5/3 and have a tri mallous fracture of right ankle. Had surgery 5/4/14 and now plate and 5 screws which will remain forever . I am in my 13th week and have been thru 3 casts, one walking boot, one air cast and now one lace up strap brace . I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks, a walker for a few then crutches and now I am told use nothing. ??? Have had 17 physical therapy visits and they now tell me no brace while exercising and to try and not wear it at all so muscles get stronger . So I am not using it all the time and it hurts so I don't know what to do. PT says don't overdue it but MD says to move it . And as far as feeling screws and plate it hurts to touch them but you got to rub leg to improve circulation. I was told you will always feel them and they may stop you from being able to wear some shoes. Still get pins and needles sometimes . Still icing it too. I'm frustrated!!! I want my life back. I don't understand why 13 weeks later I'm not farther along. The depression nobody understands and the guilt I feel about ruining my family's summer vacation plans makes it even harder. I'm lucky that I can work from home so I still have a job. . Anybody got any words of wisdom ?? I'm sooo depressed!

Haven't had the same injury, but broke my calcaneus and have had multiple other injuries over the years that I've rehabbed. Some were more stubborn than others. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is if the pain is something that's not right and needs to be fixed, or is it just that you need to start mobilizing the ankle? I was in a cast for 13 weeks with a spiral fractured tibia. It was super painful at first to work on range of motion for my ankle and knee, but you should be able to tell the difference between good/bad pain. If you don't think your PT is giving you the results you need, get another PT. They are not all created equal. Keep your head up, you'll get better. A year down the road and this will just be a bad memory. Make it better by sticking with PT and working your ass off to get better. Hit up mobilitywod.com, or search for videos by Kelly Starrett. Make sure you're progressing, if not reevaluate and try something different, before you know it you'll be good to go.

Not saying go out and smash your ankle with a lacrosse ball. Start with something soft, find out where your ankle is limited and work on it a little everyday. Watch the videos below to give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBt5...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drTx...e_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hvf...e_gdata_player