Who has ridden Hendryx skis?

Has anyone ridden Hendryx skis? Specifically Voodoo Childs. They look sweet but, uh... are they yummy?

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Those loook sweeeet.

looks like a lot of sidecut

yeah, 15m turning radius=shitty at high speed?

http://www.hendryxskis.se/home.htm

Check out the blog entry for 07-26, they mount them "Duckstance". Interesting perspective...
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

what a weird company. those are short, and have enormous amounts of sidecut (161-117-141>?????). sorry, i can't see spending 1000 euro on a fat carving ski

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmurphy View Post
    what a weird company. those are short, and have enormous amounts of sidecut (161-117-141>?????). sorry, i can't see spending 1000 euro on a fat carving ski
    Oh so very Swedish!

crazy skis, but they have a well designed website. Would be interested to see what someone has to say about these (probably eurozone mags). Anyone?
    Umbrellas are for fags.

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    GAY......

the 162 voodoo has the radius of a slalom ski

also on the funkallistic pro model

what a waist of a fat ski with those side cut number

181 cm, 161-118-151 mm, r=17 m
    171 cm, 161-118-151 mm, r=15 m
    161 cm, 155-112-146 mm, r=13 m

Second: it decreases torsional rigidity
    Last edited by nick > jesus; 12-13-2006 at 08:38 PM.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

yeah, but they LOOK cool
    i went all the way to st anton and all i got was this lousy signature

Quote Originally Posted by skier0178 View Post
    http://www.hendryxskis.se/home.htm

they mount them "Duckstance". Interesting perspective...
    Duckstance? makes sense in a weird Swedish way. but super-g turns with a 17m turning radius?

what I really want to know is

are they experienced?

you know, at making skis

and btw....this is the one that got my interest:
    Rhino Chaser
    185 cm: 160-117-141 mm, r=17 m
    170 cm: 155-112-136 mm, r=15 m

Price: 9400 skr (approx. 1000 euro)

Flex-medium
    Torsion-medium
    Taper-lots
    Sidecut-medium, gs to SG turns
    Camber-low
    Tip-full
    Tail-semi
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 12-14-2006 at 02:22 AM.

i've actually had a run on the rhino chaser with some swedes in alagna last year. conditions were pretty crap, but fwiw, they were pretty fun. they've got nice construction for a boutique brand.

rather than start a new thread thought i'd resurrect this one, specifically asking if anybody has ridden the Rhino Chaser.

the width is appealing as a mid-pow ski (something to fill the gap between a 94mm and 125mm), but the 17m TR is a trip (given that most skis in this width are usually closer to a 25TR).

any thoughts, updates, love or hate vibes from folks out there?

as stated earlier, the Hendryx website is pretty to look at and I've emailed with them a few times and they are quick to get back to you. Sadly the only place they demo is Sweden...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Welll..bottom line is that they float awsme. Manouver super easy (crazy low weight....like a DPS ski). Stable att high speeds and carves the shit in anything.
    Not so fun in bumps though. They kinda tend to flop...ALOT!

Rubberized tips for dampness and fingerbendable flex. Nice ski...but really expensive. U can get it really custom though. But in the Hendryx way. So no 41m radius with some camber and titanal sheets. 2 of my friends are on those bords and love them. One of them is a Proto Rhino bought for 1000USD with Solly 920 on em. Sweet ski, sick deal! They ride nice. Has a 107 waist and massive shovel! It´s so floaty that U cant make it dive..even if U wanted to.

I think you can demo them in Andermatt, too...

I think it was BloodSweatSteel who asked the key question: are they any good at making skis?

Who's behind the process? IMHO the skis they are chucking out are really expensive compared to say Moment or Bro and yet the target market would appear to be the same. Plus the fact that they are building each ski with a bucket load of side cut it seems like a massive gamble.

Fun? Sure, maybe, but they certainly don't look like the sort of product I'd chuck my non existant money at.
    Not around much these days.

I have not used the skis, but I've visited the custom workshop and talked a lot with the designer.

To understand the Hendryx skis, I think you should first understand different reasons you might have to like ski. Some look for all round skis, some for extreme stuff, some for some kind of specific compromise etc. Personally, I like this that have a "pure" idea behind them. An idea that is then also well executed in practice. As a Völkl fan, that means I love the two ver different skis, the Explosive and the Sanouk. Both very "clean" skis when it comes to executing a certain idea. My mantras may be more all round than any of these two, but still easily the first ski I wold get rid of if I had to.

So, back to Hendryx. When talking to the designer, it is PERFECTLY clear has has a very specific idea about how he want to ski. The sidecut might fool you into thinking its about short turn carving, but it is in fact very "big" sking he's after. Not big like in straighlining stuff though. Rather a power turning, lay down deep kind of big. Like really good big wave power surfing. Getting extreme angulation and getting super far forwards to really load up than instrument you have under your feet. Surf's down (as in down hill) is one of his mottos.

The Hendryx style of achieving this is not so close to my own ideals. But if I should guess, his skis are well commited executions of his idea about skiing. I don't think you should dismiss them on sidecut alone, rather a ski like that has to be judged from a whole other set of criteria. Anyone willing to experiment a bit with his style should be prepared for really liking the Hendryx skis.

Thats my thoughts on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    I think it was BloodSweatSteel who asked the key question: are they any good at making skis?

Who's behind the process? IMHO the skis they are chucking out are really expensive compared to say Moment or Bro and yet the target market would appear to be the same. Plus the fact that they are building each ski with a bucket load of side cut it seems like a massive gamble.

Fun? Sure, maybe, but they certainly don't look like the sort of product I'd chuck my non existant money at.
    FWIW these skis are manufactured in Åre, Sweden by a company called Extrem, (who have been in business for quite a while.) I would not say the quality is in question at all.

Another FWIW: I made a few runs on the 182 Voodoo Child (139-97-133, r=17 "low rocker") in pretty shitty early season conditions (icy with soft bumps consisting of scraped ice from tons of people skiing the same slope all day) and they were super fun. To me they felt really lively and had awesome edge grip. Unfortunately I haven't been on them in any good snow (i.e. pow.)

I have ridden the Cash in 30cm chopped up snow..
    Super stable(!!!) and very good float.
    Looking for the next turn..

Hi! I have ridden on Hendryx skis - Purple Haze (182 cm, 149-110-143) - for two seasons and must say these skis are absolutely awesome! Never skied anything close to these -- they carve like mad, surf in powder and are superfun. I ski telemark, and have the NTN bindings mounted in a strong duck stance -- which the skis were designed for (see the Hendryx website for more thoughts/explanation on this), and I never believed one could have such incredible edge control. No matter how fast you ski, they just carve and let you lay down low, low, low (see the cool short video that's now on the Hendryx web - www.hendryxskis.se)... as somebody said earlier in the thread, the skis are made with a particular way of skiing in mind, for which the short radius makes sense -- although it doesn't mean you have to go super short turns all the time; they're great for fast, big turns down the mountain.

I've been skiing in resorts about half the time (Chamonix, Whistler, Revelstoke and Alagna last year), and the rest ski touring (mostly in Lyngen, Norway, and last year also a week in Selkirk, British Columbia). Although not the lightest ski, they work really well up the hill as well (and yes, no problem skinning with the duck stance!).

I came across this thread as I googled to see what people's experiences are from last year's versions where Hendryx added more rocker to several of the models (my 09 Purple Haze are flat, no rocker, while last year's model has some moderate rocker). My guess is they are even better, and even more quick and playful, so I'm now facing the nice dilemma of choosing what new model to buy for this year -- considering both the Funkallistic, the Cash and the 917, although, perhaps, the Purple Haze I already have are the perfect allround model -- works excellent in basically all conditions (unbelievable, I know). I realise I must sound very partisan, but I'm honest... just blown away by the skis and the originality of this tiny company. Try the skis if you have the chance!
    /Niclas

Nice thread.

I like the surf analogy - for someone this kind of shape might be the ultimate. And it is just good that people/designers start to finally realize that like in surfing there are tons of different shapes that work (do'h) in different conditions, for different kind of riders...

IMHO it is really narrow minded to think that there is some secret formula for an "ideal" all mountain/soft snow ski (like 30-40m turn radius, 110~115mm waist, mild tip rocker etc. - which might work for the "average" maggot though. But then again no-one blames/mocks e.g. Pollard for using "short noodles with too much sidecut" for his purposes...)

Also, keep in mind that skiing in Europe, especially in Scandinavia can be very different condition wise to the North America. I was in Åre (Sweden) last spring and while the mountain has decent vertical meters and terrain, I'd say at the time 90% of the off-piste area was wind blown chunk that was very hard to ski (no matter the sidecut or style of skis) and at the same time there were still really nice "mini stashes" in the woods, good groomers and excellent park skiing. I can totally see why a Swedish company will keep the big sidecut on their skis, knowing the conditions. Besides, think about a company like Icelantic - they've started pretty much from a similar local and personal thinking...
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

I have a pair of voodoo chile.... And they are Stunning! The are easily the best skis I have ever tried. I might have been on that alagna trip with the filthy drunken swedes. I love them. The rhinos are tough work and you need to be fitter and more skilled than me to enjoy them but mine are wonderful. They suck you to the mountain and I've not managed to push them... Sad it's my fear rather than my skis holding me back. One thing... They are unforgiving. If you are tired and lean back you will be punished... And punished hard. My face still hurts. But any other time if you ski aggressively they are a joy. I love them. Can't comment on relative merits to other skis and they are not cheap, but i am a very very very happy customer. And I'm normally. Grumpy sod. P