Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Can you tell that I am avoiding the work I must do today?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani
    Skiing through that corridor seemed sketchy

Looking back

Looking back up towards the top.

Scenery is just nuts. Every photo you snapped looked like a postcard

We found a sun-baked face and Splat went into photog-drill-sergeant mode and started a photoslut session. You can see his head at the bottom right of the screen.

Tom went first to make sure it won't slide. It was soft spring like snow

Just as Splat finished, he launched off a rock, stuck it and then stepped out of his bindings at the runout, losing his $400 glasses. "Ahhhh fuggit- I'll come back up and look for it tomorrow!" Tom says "It will snow tomorrow!" and runs up to look for it. 15 minutes later Tom's skiing down "Here ya go! It was at the bottom of a head-shaped crater!!!"

We continued down towards the refuge and the Mer De Glace. The original plan was to get the last tram for another shot, but that would mean skiing a crevasse ridden zone all tired and beat up in the twilight...plus we missed the last tram.

Splat and Tom ahead of me

Looking back

T-1000 sent back from the future to terminate zee gapers.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I never made it over to Chamonix from Aosta, but I should have
    More random pics pissfarting around on the glacier

Then it was Beer o'clock

Splat checking in at the El Dorado cafe

I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

I'm just jonesing for winter - SA, here I come!
    The day is over, and the night begins.....(Random drunk shots)

Cold-coolin at a bar, and we're looking for some action
    (Punani, Norbs and Splat)

Well like Mick Jagger says I can't get no satisfaction...

Party on the dance floor....pa-pa-party pa-party!!!!!!!!

shake it...shake it...shake it

Shake it like a polaroid picture!!!!!

scary cougar

Token Cham drunk shot

Huh huh.... Hot farts!

Stay tuned for:

- Day trip to Italy
    - Portes Du Soleil
    - Insane powder day at Les Grand Montets

e-i-g-h-t characters....
    Our nightly entertainment: Splat telling us one of his many hilarious life stories. I swear you could write a whole encyclopedia worth of Splat Tales.

Full Moon over Cham

Brevant lit up

Random Artsy fartsy shots

Mio Amore... Italia
    Bongiorno!!! Ita isa day 2-a ofa da tripa. We head to Italia....

After a few hours sleep Tom wakes us up and throws us in the van for a trip through the Mont Blanc Tunnel to ski Italy

The road up the valley to Gressoney/ Monterosa

Monterosa was bad-ass. So many chutes, and other cool extreme stuff. Unfortunately the cable car connecting Alagna and Gressoney was shut because of the wind, so all we could do is drool.

Alagna, hiding underneath the clouds

So we bombed groomers. So much fun....it's like the Alpine Racer arcade game.

"I'll ski it for sure!"

The Italians take their lunchbreaks seriously. The mountain is deserted between 11 and 1. The crew had a pit stop to grab some ravioli, followed by some magic mushrooms

That afternoon we skied to the other side of the Monterossa valley

After a couple insane runs we got stuck on a chair that broke down for an hour. Howling winds, slow chair. It was almost as bad as chair 4 at Kirkweed, the longest slowest chair in the Sierras. Fortunately we had cool views to keep us entertained.

Looking back.

Looking right, scoping lines.

posting this batch & then the restoration continues...
    Howling winds

This was our view for the next hour

We were contemplating a chairlift evac.

At around 5:30 we were back on skis. Here's a glimpse of the sunset, seen from across the valley

And we're spent....

Hit the road back to Chamonix

Mont Blanc tunnel

The Man!

Ghost truck of the Mont Blanc tunnel.....we were the only car in sight but something came up on the digicam image right around the point where the explosion happened a few years ago (insert twilight zone theme)

That night we grabbed some dinner and got hammered once again.

45 seconds is a long time to wait

Day 3. Portes Du Soleil.

Splat needed a whole day of sleep to recover from partying til 4am. Idris went snowboarding with his lady friend. Weather was ugly and windy as shit in Chamonix.

LITC took me and Norbs to Portes Du Soleil. The lower elevation runs were shit and rained-on, but we scored pow at the higher elevations.

I was too tired and cold to piss fart around taking snap shots. We found a cool little cornice to session and then a stash of pow. Here's my bud Norbs getting some.

Cool hucks at this area.

Norbs again

We went on the other side and found loads of fresh. Then we cut over to an off-piste section were an avie had ripped the mountain a new one. I skied down and I literally turned around in 2 seconds and Norbs had disappeared.

I hiked back up to where I last saw him. Each step and pole plant cracked the snow and I could see a weak snowpack. Had to go up there to make sure he wasn't in a treewell , crevasse, or skied off into the avie zone. Luckily he just skied off into another part of the ski area for more fresh. I spent the rest of the day lapping up pow and freaking out, alternately, since he's been known to get him or others he skis with in shit.

The road back to Geneva was picturesque

We dropped Norbs off at the airport. I was back at granny's for some rest. Orignally planned to take Monday off and return Tuesday.

Late Sunday night, granny's phone rings. It was Splat.

"GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE!!!TOMORROW IS GOING TO BE A KILL BLUEBIRD POWDER DAY!!!! GET YOUR ASS BACK TO CHAM NNNNNNNOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! WE'RE HEADING UP TO THE ENVERS!!!!"

Here I was, dead tired, big home-cooked meal and chilling with Granny.

I repack my unpacked stuff. Gotta get the early bus back to Cham to get the goods!

Restoration is theraputic for the procrastinator
    Les Grand Montets Feb 9, 2004.

I rolled into town around 10am. Figured Splat and Flingle were already up the Aiguille. Here I was, no tranny, no shovel, no probe, no nothing. Tom was working today.

Hauled ass to Grand Montets up the valley. I haven't had a solo ski session in a long time. It was different. On one hand you got to do whatever you wanted, no group decisions, no stopping and waiting, no one waiting for you. On the other hand, you had no one to scope your lines or call patrol if/when you got fucked up.

Having spent 5 months bumming around in this here parts in between college and the real world and clocking up around 50 days at Les Grand Montets I felt pretty comfortable with all the inbounds stuff and still remember the old stashes- take this sign for instance. I remember some cool steep shit off here.... It drew me closer like a fly to fresh hot steaming dog shit.

Sure enough, the upside-down man falling off a cliff was a good indicator of what would happen if you fucked up.

Note the shark's teeth. It was a freaking cool entrance into le lavancher (a region so huge you ski untracked snow 2-3 days after a storm)

On my first run I squeezed my ass shut and picked a line in between rocks. Half billygoating, half poking to make sure it was pow, not windscoured. It was like the Cham version of Ooops and Poops and Cirque. Skier666 and Tyrone would have been creaming their pants!

I lapped up the left side of Le Lavancher. Nothing but sweeeeet pow in the shade all the way to the bottom.

The special treats were in the last section. No one was hitting it at all. It looked a little concave at the top.

I was a little sketched skiing this on my own. Every section of Les Grand Montets is avalanche-prone and deadly in the wrong conditions, but a skiers dream when it's right.

It was insane skiing down with a shitload of sluff, I was stoked and shitting my pants at the same time, keeping an eye out for fractures or slides.

Here's the stash I milked that morning- all in the trees that no one had hit. knee deep light dry fluff

Who got the fresssssshiiiiies?

Back down to the Bochard Gondy for more of Le Lavancher. This time I fell in a no-fall zone and luckily got away with only skid marks in my boxers. It was another sketchy line at the top. I launched into what looked like fresh soft pow, clipped a submerged sharktooth and was sent on my ass, sliding on my back head-first on a steep rock-ridden face at full speed. All I could see was a jagged rock the size of an SUV with a sharp knife-like point. That thing would have either cut me in half or broken me. somehow I managed to avert my slide direction so I missed it by a foot. then I was still heading towards the other sharks teeth. Muscled my way around, skis reconnect, stand up and skied out with about 20 feet before a rocky ragdoll. Fuck it was intense. If I hadn't been constipated on a bread/cheese diet I would have shat my pants.

Chamonix always has a way of spanking you to remind you that you're her bitch.

I lapped up Le Lavancher for the next few hours. No one else was hitting the pow stashes. So siiiick

Top of LL looking down. everything in the shadows = POW!!!!

Part of LL, seen from the chair

d--e-n-d
    Scenery was just insane.

Here's the view looking towards Mont Blanc taken at the top of Couloir Poubelle. Blizzard fanatics take not of the wall wehre Schmidty, Plake and Hattrup rappeled down.

The view of Mont Blanc and Aiguille. Somewhere in this frame, possibly at the very second I snapped this shot, This is what was going down. ("A deep day with Splat and Flingle")

Super-Double-Extremo-gnargnar-sketch line

Panoramic view of the Chamonix Valley:

That afternoon I lapped up the Herse chair wa over skiers right, sticking to the north facing stashes in the shadow. More of the same. lots of soft stuff, some fun lines. legs burning.....

The top tram looked sketchy. It kept breaking down. I remember some heli crashed after clipping the cables a few weeks ago. That, the 45 minute line, and the fact that I was skiing solo without any avie gear meant I'd have to put it off...for now. But I'll be back.

My last run down Le Lavancher was the same- freshies, stll untracked, no one around.

4:20, baby! Time to call it a day.

Staring at the map I figured that 30,000' vert of pow was gotten today.

Cruising back to the pad.....Of all the buses in all the ski towns in all the world, Splat and Flingle walks into mine.

"Punani!!!! Wait till you see these pics!!! YOU WILL SHIT!!!!!!"

"Hey guys! Fun day huh?"

We grabbed dinner at an Italian place then Tom dropped me off to Geneva the next morning. I spent the next day chilling with Granny, showing her the extremo ski photos and recapping the past 4 days. Tom cruised by for some dinner then the next morning I was on a flight back to Hell A.....my parole is over and I'm back in my 10th floor cell, pondering my next adventure.

Trayc, You fuckin rule! How'd you fix the red X's?

Thanks for bringing back some mammaries.

Oooh. I just had to remove the "normal_" from the image tag. Fixed.
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 07-06-2006 at 12:17 PM.

Wow. Chamonix looks amazing!

I'd hate to fall in a crevasse though!

Holy archives, fatman!

Quote Originally Posted by Superstar Punani View Post
    [blizzard flashback] Chamonix- 9000 vertical feet!
    Splat from the pre-Broletariat days! Rossis? WTF?

Whoa! Some retro dudes! Complete with grainy, fuzzy low pixel photos!
    Where's the one-piece?

Looks like phil is providing ground support .... or trying to escape .... good job holding splat's poles....

Damn! I guess they (or at least tom) got the goods even back in the day on that rental gear!

Rental gear.....bwaaaaaaa! Those are some old B3s Moles gave me. Their soft shitty nature on the snow might well have been the inspiration for PM Gear. Damn, that was a good trip that was followed by the Tahoe Summit, which clearly kicked ass.

http://www.powdermag.com/features/ne...ts4/index.html

That's hilarious. The Roos, Chowdah Rider and I were talking about this thread and its infamous event and participants only on Thursday. Great to see it bumped.