LCD TVs - Sony or Samsung

Any opinions? Buying one of the two today

http://tinyurl.com/y7fqzl

My opinion is that it is smart to still wait for a little while to buy a flat screen.

But if you are buying one:

- Pretty big difference in the contrast ratio. Is the difference in picture contrast as high as it suggests or do they measure this in different ways?
    - Kind of funky inputs on the Samsung. Wouldn't really work for my system.
    - Does the $470 price difference mean anything to you?
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Price is always a bit of an issue but on sale they're only 200 apart.

Contrast ratio on the sony is low becuase it has some fancy backlighting technology so it doesn't really translate. Their less expensive 32" has a 5000:1.

What's funky about the inputs? Two hdmi is cool. One for the hd reviever, one for the ps3.

Quote Originally Posted by Clack View Post
    What's funky about the inputs? Two hdmi is cool. One for the hd reviever, one for the ps3.
    It's just funky for me with no svideo and no composite inputs. I have everything hooked up through a av receiver and I don't even think there's hdmi support on that one. If it works for you it's fine.

I've always been a Sony fan, but I don't know if their flatscreens live up to the reputation of their tube tvs.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

you're right. That is kind of weird
    Last edited by Clack; 12-08-2006 at 02:19 PM.

SONY SONY SONY SONY SONY

Sorry, but i just got a Sony Bravia 1080p 40" and have it mounted on my wall......it's a thing of beauty. I love Sony products and this did not disappoint. The HD channels are amazing especially Discovery and CBS Football.......anyway, i don't really think you can go wrong but i love mine - No complaints so far......looks good too and the inputs and everything are well thought out.......

Oh and i see you mentioned PS3..........this was the TV that they designed the ps3 on sooooooooo..........that should be another + for the bravia....

And have u checked out http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/ - the top two are Sonys.....
    Last edited by Raps; 12-08-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps View Post
    SONY SONY SONY SONY SONY

Sorry, but i just got a Sony Bravia 1080p 40" and have it mounted on my wall......it's a thing of beauty. I love Sony products and this did not disappoint.
    Just wait till your Sony TV hacks into your microwave...
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

My dad has had his 52 inch Samsung LCD for over 2 years now, no problems whatsoever. Picture is ridiculous, playstation works fine, hooks into sound systems/dvd easily with a receiver, everything youd need. Not as though a Sony wouldnt.
    Decisions Decisions

If it is not a requirement to be able to hang it on the wall, then go with the samsung DLP, replacement bulbs are less than Sony's LCD projection bulbs.
    Plus projection is still much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    It's just funky for me with no svideo and no composite inputs. I have everything hooked up through a av receiver and I don't even think there's hdmi support on that one. If it works for you it's fine.

I've always been a Sony fan, but I don't know if their flatscreens live up to the reputation of their tube tvs.
    I don't route anything through the receiver -- run video straight from the source to the TV; run audio from each source to the receiver.

I tried setting everything up years ago, routing lots of S-video and composite signals through the receiver, in order to hook up 2 VCRs, 1 DVD, 1 video game, 1 LaserDisc. It was a wiring hassle, caused problems with Macrovision copy protection playback issues, and generally degraded the signal quality.

With HDMI upscaling protection (can't send 720 signals through component, with the exception of some early DVD players), it pretty much forces you to connect the DVD straight to the TV via HDMI cable. Not that this is a bad thing -- image quality is very good this way.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I don't route anything through the receiver -- run video straight from the source to the TV; run audio from each source to the receiver.

I tried setting everything up years ago, routing lots of S-video and composite signals through the receiver, in order to hook up 2 VCRs, 1 DVD, 1 video game, 1 LaserDisc. It was a wiring hassle, caused problems with Macrovision copy protection playback issues, and generally degraded the signal quality.
    Good point. Maybe I'll try to do that at home since I only have 3 sources (dvd, satelite receiver, vcr that's almost never used).

Don't know if you have one in your area, but Fred Meyer is having a two day sale and currently has a 42" Plasma for $1299 regularly $2500. Can't remember the brand, but thought it a ridiculous price on a Plasma.

View the two side by side... I thought the Sony looked significantly better.

I actually am just finishing up design work for a competitor's flat-panel TVs and had a chance to tear apart a bunch of these. The Sony is cobbled together terribly and is really thick for a flat panel TV, but the components (light source, panel, processor) and video processing are top notch. It also has internal fans, which most well-designed LCDs don't, if noise floor is important to you. In short, great picture but built in a garage.

My recommendation for the best bang for the buck is the HP LCDs (which happen to also be a really nice sleek all black) or the Westinghouse LCD monitor (but you have to have a cable box... no internal tuner).

Sharp Aquos all the way. Sony is like the Tiffany's of electronics, yes it is quality but you are paying for the Blue Box/Sony tag. My friend has a 46" Aquos and it is simply stunning, much nicer than many plasma's that I've seen.

Samsung is a much better deal and has really upped their quality recently so if you are hard up on one of the two I'd go for that one and save some green.

Boomer beat me to it. Sharp was one of the first in the LCD TV game and is one to two generations ahead of everybody else.

Manufacturer's contrast ratio numbers are meaningless since there's no standard way to measure it.

And if you think you're watching high def, here's some articles of how badly some HDTVs process the incoming signal:

Are You Getting All the HDTV Resolution You Expected?
    Are You Getting All of the HDTV Resolution You Expected? Round 2
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Sharp Aquos all the way. Sony is like the Tiffany's of electronics, yes it is quality but you are paying for the Blue Box/Sony tag. My friend has a 46" Aquos and it is simply stunning, much nicer than many plasma's that I've seen.
    Sharps must be the ugliest TVs I have ever seen. Great picture, but an eyesore when it's off. If you're buying a flat-panel LCD instead of a rear-projection it's because you care about the form factor... you should get something that doesn't look like a granite turd.

Seriously, go to the store, demand the remote, and view the TVs side by side after focking with the settings (contrast, brightness, and color balance) and buy the one that looks best to you. I'd suggest a place like Magnolia because they actually keep the lights nice and dim so you can compare picture... BestBuy is like daylight.

I was at circuit city, with ps3 hooked up and had just tested a bit of a blu-ray movie and then a game on the Samsung when I got the call that I had to get back to the office pronto. So close to completing the pepsi challenge.

You have to buy the Sony if women are going to be watching...

Samsung won after hooking it up to both. Watched movies, played games, and adjusted settings on both and samsung had the more impressive picture. The sony seemed to have a little more "horsepower" at the highest speed processing from from the PS3 but the picture was always a bit whitewashed compared to the samsung. I guess the contrast ratio does make a difference.

fwiw
    Last edited by Clack; 12-11-2006 at 03:05 PM.