Question Computer geek mags - firewall question

Is the built in Windows XP firewall good enough now or should I run something else? Read a thread from 2005 that said it would only block unusual incoming traffic, not unusual outgoing traffic.

Nothing urgent with the question, just curious as I'd like to not have to run a bunch of unnecessary programs in the background.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

If you are at home and the computer is behind a router w/ a firewall. Yes the windows should be good enough. It was I have running on my wifeís computer.

But for a notebook that you take to public Wifi hotspots, I would get something more. Zonealarm and Norton Internet Security are the 2 I use. ZoneAlarmís footprint is smaller.

The other thing is most of the packages are now coming more than just a firewall. Additional packages like Anti-spyware, anti-phishing and anti-spam are being included.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Only people who enjoy punching themselves in the testicles use Norton Internet Security.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Nr the sea , on the other side of the pond..
    Quote Originally Posted by likwid View Post
    Only people who enjoy punching themselves in the testicles use Norton Internet Security.

Oh lord, don't get me started on that retarded granny of an application.
    Semper in Pulveris .... Only the depth varies

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by wildstyle View Post
    Oh lord, don't get me started on that retarded granny of an application.
    What about its magical ability to hose itself and block all connectivity without any indication?!

Atleast they went back to SymNRT to remove it instead of that retarded fucking activex control WHICH DIDN'T WORK BECAUSE IT USUALLY BLOCKED FUCKING ACTIVEX.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Seconded. From my experience Norton's stuff is teh suck... nothing but trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    Is the built in Windows XP firewall good enough now or should I run something else?
    Afaik the answer is yes, it's good enough for most general intents and purposes. You should run something else if you are forced to turn off Windows firewall because it's breaking some application you need to use.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

OK so after years of self abuse, I switched my dev machine over to ZoneAlarm last year. But, I got spend a couple days figuring out all the issues ZoneAlarm caused for development platform.

So what are you using?

BTW: The issues I had with NI where related to my development environment. The biggest pain was NI would block IIS from starting when I got on a new network. It was a little frustrating when you were try to demo/show a new application to a client.

A software firewall can be a good thing to have- if the system is connected directly to the back of the modem without any router and is open to any full time connection (like others mentioned WiFi public networks, etc.) This blocks incoming stuff you do not want (maybe only allowing email and web pages as an example) and also things like outgoing (some virus or trojan nasty program that is looking for other computers to infect). It also has better monitoring and logging in the most cases. Windows Firewall (at least on XP- Vista will be different) only protects against incoming stuff.

Kerio and Zone Alarm are 2 that have just Firewalls (and there are others out there)- no other bundled items that you may or may already have like virus protection, spam, spyware, etc. Zone Alarm now also has a bundle edition with anti-virus, etc included (also called internet security suite).