Utah TR 11/30-12/3

Let me start out by saying that its an honor to be a part of the teton gravity forums

I went to Utah with a friend of mine last thurs through sunday and it was one of the best ski trips ove ever been on.....i usually ski alta or snowbird but i got a great deal to stay/ski at the canyons for 60 per night w/lift tickets....

It had snowed around 28 inches in the days before our arrival in Utah and only 30 runs off of saddleback, sun peak, and super condor lifts were open. Each day we were there it snowed at night and in the early hours of the day, giving us some sweeet powder skiing with almost no one else on the mountain.

leaving long beach airport...

heading up the gondola on friday morning just as it opened....we stayed about 200 ft away from the lifts.

going up super condor looking over at the runs off of sun peak.....you can see the 9990 lift at the top they ran it all day friday and rumors spread that it would open for the first time the next day.

looking up into the backcountry off of 9990 from the saddleback lift...

the end of the day on friday...myself lookin out at park city

we woke up saturday morning with a foot of snow at the top....both tombstone and 9990 were open for the first time this season....damn wat a day!

powder under the tombstone lift....we had it untracked

the trees off of tombstone....knee to waste deep in some places!!

around 9 30 after skiing practically untracked powder on tombstone...9990 opened and we rushed down to that

the hike to the backcountry gate at the top of 9990

THE GATE

looking out into the wasatch backcountry

at this point...about 15 people including myself and my friends were looking over at the huge face next to 9990.....about a 20 min hike to the top

untracked....powder....unskied until that day

i made the hike....and skied one of the best lines of my life.......my tracks right down the center.......knee to waste!!

i was in awe....

lookin back up at that beautiful face.....i skied that around 10 more times throughout the next 2 days

truly a unique trip especially that early in the season.....im definately coming back up soon!!
    Last edited by lagunabackcountry; 12-05-2006 at 07:18 PM.

Do this: [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/torontonycz14/n1042500485_30014973_3024.jpg[/IMG

but put the bracket at the end of the "G" in "IMG"

Good first post...

Thanks for the stoke
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Nice TR.

Don't mean to sound preachy, but please be careful when skiing the terrain outside of the PC resorts. It kills people with regular frequency.

thanks trackhead.....and yess i know exactly wat u mean....

a few years ago i remember someone was killed in an avy off the same line i skied.....

i talked to the patrol before i skied that and they gave me the "go"....i carry a beacon...shovel....and probe at all times and hav taken an avy/beacon class......

im pretty well prepared and experienced although im only 17.....but im aware that no one can control exactly wat happens out there

Quote Originally Posted by lagunabackcountry View Post
    thanks trackhead.....and yess i know exactly wat u mean....

a few years ago i remember someone was killed in an avy off the same line i skied.....

i talked to the patrol before i skied that and they gave me the "go"....i carry a beacon...shovel....and probe at all times and hav taken an avy/beacon class......

im pretty well prepared and experienced although im only 17.....but im aware that no one can control exactly wat happens out there

Sorry about the assumption I may have made. Good on ya for going out there with partners and the essentials.

Stoked you got the goods on your trip.

Nice LBC. And glad to see you take the savyness route. I was thinkin' the same lines as TH there for a minute.

no worries trackhead glad to know everyones looking out for each other...
    I stand up next to a mountain
    And I chop it down with the edge of my hand

Nice TR. Good to see the canyons actually has some snow up high. I am headed out there tomorrow to make some turns at lunch. Hopefully there is still some good coverage.

solid TR. nice work...that area of 9990 is $$$, although TH is right.. its slippy and very slidey

Good stuff. Now this is how you enter this community. Nice Job. Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    Good stuff. Now this is how you enter this community. Nice Job. Welcome.
    BZ being nice to a jong. I think this thread needs to go in the hall of fame!
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

good to see my home resort got some of the goods. I flew back to college from thanksgiving break on the 29th, so it's my departure you have to thank for all the snow. I get back on the 16th, and don't leave to the 15th, so expect a dry spell, but on jan 16th, it's game on, and I'm predicting one of the best days of the season within a week of my leaving again. Anyway, welcome, PM me if you're ever back at the canyons and want to meet a bunch of other college aged retard BC skiers. Ya, and watch out for that slope, its slippery like a chick in a KY wrestling match.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

soul, don't jinx my trip out there just yet dbag....

Nice pix and TR LBeach
    nice turns as well

The quote below does not sound accurate. Patrollers will never tell you it is ok to leave the backcounty especially by yourself.

I doubt he was alone...who would have taken the picture of him at the bottom of that BC area?

I agree, great first post, but are we going to let
    knee to waste!!
    slide by?

How many knees you got, boy?

waaat haha wat did i say

haha any suggestions on my post would be greatly appreciated!@#$
    I stand up next to a mountain
    And I chop it down with the edge of my hand