Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I may FINALLY get my very own cell phone.....Cali mags - need suggestions...

I have no idea where to start. I've never owned a cell phone. Yes, that's right folks, I'm a 29 year old chick and I don't own one. I never needed one. I still don't really need one, but since I borrow Legoskier's from time to time, I figure it's better to own one than not. Besides, I need a place to store all my friends contact info. So I'm going to bag the home long distance ($55 per month, unlimited long distance/local calling) and purchase a phone.

Most of "my people" have Verizon. I'm located in Sacramento, so I travel to Tahoe area a lot, but there is a high chance I will be moving to either Pomona (So. Cal) or San Luis Obispo for grad school, so I need a service that is stellar in all locations in Cali. Also, I'd like a plan where I can call Canada for the same rate as the states. Finally, since my brother is now a Texan, I need a plan that includes state to state at no extra service charge.

Should I get Verizon? What is the best option for someone who wants a medium-time calling plan but not the hassle of rediculous contracts or fees? What do you pay for your phone service - both start-up costs and per month including taxes? Is it worth it or should I continue mooching off Legoskier?

Oh - finally, I don't want anything AT&T. They're evil and I hate them. I am willing to pay a buck or two more per month to avoid them and their rediculous taxes and surcharges.

Thank you all!!!
    bc-lovah

You'll prob live a long spry life while the rest of us have to accessorize our brain tumors 15 years from now.

I've never had problems with Verizon. It works everywhere (unlike my other phone, a TMobile), no pockets where it dies. But, TMobile is more affordable, especially if you're going for email and text. Verizon charges for every single thing, and you watch your monthly bill slowly rise.

I use TMobile for work, Verizon for personal. They're the same monthly, around $50/month, but the Verizon doesn't include any messaging - no text of any kind, it's calls only. The Verizon, though, is around 3,000 minutes a month - add another $40 and you have web service. TMobile, while email and air time is included, calls are limited, at 600 a month.

I think TMobile is the better deal. Verizon is the better service, especially on the hill.

I'm 33 and may have to break down and finally get one. I've gotten so much shit for not having one over the years, but I just fuggin' hate 'em. My sister is giving me her old one for Christmas, and it IS an mp3 player. Don't think I'll get a service plan just yet - baby steps, you know...
    Montani Semper Liberi

I had Cingular (pre Att days) and it was good. Good coverage throughout the state, including Tahoe. Finally gave up since I made about two calls a month on it. I have nextel for work. It BLOWS. The Mrs. just got T-Mobile and seems happy, but we haven't traveled much with it. T-Mobile does have some super cheap plans that might work out for you.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

T-Mobile lets you roam on most of Cingular's network for free. Good plan deals. Get a Samsung T809 for free and flash it to a D820... Amazing phone. Great Tahoe coverage but spotty coverage elsewhere in the Sierras. Excellent coverage in urban areas--especially since you can use both T-Mobile's and Cingular's towers.

Verizon is more expensive, but the coverage (overall) is unbeatable. Also, if most of "your people" are on verizon, then the free "in" calling will really help you out. I'm on the $40/month plan (which comes out to $50/month with insurance and taxes) which has 450 minutes. I use way more than 450 minutes a month, but since everyone I call is on Verizon, most of those minutes are free. I don't usually come anywhere close to using up my "anytime" minutes. For another $20/month you can jump up to 900 minutes/month. Most plans you find these days from the major providers will include no-charge domestic long distance. Adding Canada will cost more, but I have no idea how much. If you're planning on traveling around the US much, especially if you're driving, go with Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    I have no idea where to start. So I'm going to bag the home long distance ($55 per month, unlimited long distance/local calling) and purchase a phone.
    I used to be in the biz and have had all of them. Been with Verizon now since 2001 for personal phone.

We are dropping the home phone. This plan will give you long distance to all 50 states anytime, anywhere, just have to pick how many minutes you want:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...Id=1&catId=323

Can get a free phone(Razr) pretty easy on a 2 year agreement and I think the activation fee is still waived (this could have recently changed). One year agreement is $35 activation fee.

Also, I'd like a plan where I can call Canada for the same rate as the states. Finally, since my brother is now a Texan, I need a plan that includes state to state at no extra service charge.
    The Canada thing is going to hurt. http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/interna...ing_plans.html

Should I get Verizon? What is the best option for someone who wants a medium-time calling plan but not the hassle of rediculous contracts or fees? What do you pay for your phone service - both start-up costs and per month including taxes?
    Depends. I would rather not have a cell phone if I had to go T-Mobile. I sold there crap, their coverage sucks with lots of holes in coverage and I had HORRIBLE times with customer service.
    What does Lego have? If Verizon, all calls to any other Verizon customer is free, unlimited with the America's Choice Plans.

I have a family plan. I pay $80 for 1400 minutes, my wife piggybacks with another line for $9.99 and we share the minutes and then I do have a Treo 700W and unlimited data is $44.99/month. Then taxes. We just upped our plan so I await a horrible bill.

Like Yoga said, Texting is not included and is $.10 per message sent or received, unless you add on a texting plan too. But my view on that is it is a PHONE, call someone. I am not a texter.

Contracts and fees, everyone gets the same deal. $175 to cancel out early with VZ, Tmobile is $200.

My whole family is on Verizon so we can talk without using regular minutes, wife, mom, dad, bro, bro's wife.

Feel free to pm me if you have more questions.

Nextel: Great if in service area, otherwise NO reception.
    Cingular: Bought AT&T, fyi. Heard good and bad.
    Boost: Nextel rebranded kinda
    Sprint: Great on east coast. Hated every minute of it here in Utah. Roamed at my house even at 50 cents a minute. Stupid as Verizon comes off the same tower just a few miles down the road.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Ah yes, forgot to mention - TMobile is great for traveling out of state. Verizon finds ways to charge you when you travel, which another way that bill creeps up.

To echo Buzz:

TMobile: cost can't be beat.
    Verizon: coverage can't be beat (and that cell to cell thing really is great)

I think I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik View Post
    Verizon finds ways to charge you when you travel, which another way that bill creeps up.

Verizon: coverage can't be beat (and that cell to cell thing really is great)
    If you are on America's Choice plan, travelling from state to state is fine and not extra charges. Have another VZ phone for work. I am a North American Salesperson and I travel a good bit. Never been hit with extras UNLESS I am ROAMING in an outlying area in the midwest or something not normal.
    This is my trackrecord of 3 years on work phone for VZ: NO EXTRA CHARGES EVER. If I see I am roaming, I know in a little bit in the car I will be in a service area and then use my phone. Never been over an hour in the car till normal service area.

Coverage with VZ, can't be beat for sure.

Tmobile gives you most minutes for your money handsdown.

I'm pretty sure with the new americas choice plans there's no roaming at all. if you don't get verizon service you just don't get service. I've never seen a roam indicator on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    I'm pretty sure with the new americas choice plans there's no roaming at all. if you don't get verizon service you just don't get service. I've never seen a roam indicator on my phone.
    No, there is roaming still. But it is hard to find those areas as VZ has the US well covered. I have seen the roam indicator a few times in the last year.

FYI.

Don't do it!!

Okay do it. But skip the mobile phone and just get a palm pilot with a wireless internet card, and skype. Genius.

www.gsmarena.com for your specific needs.

As for phones, avoid Motorola. Total shit product...all of them...well except the old V180 that survived being dropped in the toilet a few too many times. RAZR and all its brothers and sisters are shit too. Worst phone ever, but that's what successful marketing will do.

I've got cingular and pay 44/month for 1000 minutes and my "home calling area" is the entire west (colorado and west) with pretty decent coverage.

If you want Tahoe coverage your best bets are probably Verizon (VZW) or Cingular (aka ATT). Since you said you don't want ATT, you basically are left with VZW. T-Mobile has less expensive plans, especially for data and their customer service seems to have improved (especially for their Blackberry users). You are basically screwed for Canada. VZW used to have some great plans for that, but they've been discontinued. The folks who still have them can't change their plans or they lose the cool Free Canada thing they have.

Your VZW phone won't work at all outside of US/Canada, unlike T-Mobile or Cingular where you could use it in other countries, but I don't think that's an issue for you.

You'll definitely be able to ditch your landline phone. For that $55/mo you should be able to get a decent minute plan plus maybe add a small bundle of text messages because once folks know you have a cell, they'll start texting you.

I've had TMobile up and down the West Coast. Good coverage, cheap plans.
    Elvis has left the building

I like T-Mobile because it's cheap and they give you cheap phones with a one-year commitment. Also, they never, ever charge for roaming inside the US (unless you're really close to the Canadian border andthere are no cell towers on the U.S. side). Also, unlike buzz, I've found their customer service to be friendly and helpful.

The downside is that their coverage is pretty weak. If you're in an urban area, the coverage is fine (better than Verizon and Cingular). Outisde of urban areas, the coverage gets a bit sketchy. There are large chunks of rural areas that have absolutely no coverage whatsoever (my in-laws live in Potsdam, NY and there's no coverage within about 20 miles).

Nothing specific to add, other than that I too believe the Razr is a piece of shit.

Note: SBC was a partner in the creation of Cingular. Cingular bought ATTWireless, then SBC bought ATT and changed its name to ATT. The ATT you know and love may not exist anymore.

That said, I have national no roaming with Cingular (I started as an ATT customer) with 400 anytime minutes (unlimited night and weekend) for just under $40/month including all taxes. Since the purchase of ATT by Cingular, I've gotten good coverage everywhere that I've been (except middle of nowhere New Mexico).

I haven't checked into what service in Canada would cost.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Thank you, THANK YOU to everyone for your suggestions!!! I'm still reading through them and looking up the information. I'm intrigued by what Geoff said.....as we're thinking of switching to skype at home instead of AT&T long distance, perhaps I can do this with a palm? Anyway, still reading through.....thanks again!
    bc-lovah

Palm? Let's just say be careful getting into Palm. I have heard rumors in the OS industry I am in now. And let's just say from what I am hearing, I personally would not invest in anything with Palm OS at this point.

Sounds like Verizon and Cingular are your best bet at this point for what you want to do.

Unless you do alot of international calling, or need a PDA, I'd be leary of using a PDA/phone combo. They are expensive and delicate in my experience. My experience with Skype is it needs a dedicated highspeed connection for decent, long, phone calls - the kind of connections that aren't so easy to find roaming.
    Last edited by cj001f; 12-06-2006 at 06:15 PM.
    Elvis has left the building

Latest edition to the smartphone family:

I personally own the 820. Bad on battery life, good on conversational piece. [/shrugs]