Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Originally posted by Kellie
    SheRa, you gotta come to Tahoe . . . the more maggettes, the merrier!!!!
    Agreed, there should be more chicks at all these sausage fests. I'm in a state of definite maybe right now.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I predict powder for the Summit. Keep the faith.
    And SheRa, please come.

Welcome back Splat - how was the trip?!?

Amen Lego,

Skied KW Sunday which was great with huge holiday crowds for a change. All the traffic built up some of the deepest moguls I've seen here in a few years. Then Monday did long splashing ski shop road tour around Tahoe (6250 feet) while huge deluge came down atop melting snow and temps held about 40 degrees. Base of Squaw and Alpine had about 2 1/2 inches of rain. Most of the brunt of the Monday storm was north of US50 so KW and Mammoth got just moderate rain then wet snows. This Wednesday morning remotes show snow levels of about 6500 feet as the pineapple system finally pushes east so resorts are getting the slop covered up. Classic Sierra Cement snow level.

Forecast today Wednesday is for continued low latitude jet across the Pacific the next week which will be towing along more warm systems. But sometimes colder systems are dragged in too when this sets up particularly towards the end of the chain when the northern jet digs back south with cold white dust. -dave

Sweeet! Cause I'll be there tomorrow...and the next day...and the next...

Edit: Shit! "Almost done...car ready tomorrow..." Shit!
    Last edited by Arty50; 02-18-2004 at 04:10 PM.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

just so no ones gets nervous........ today was great.

arrived at 9:30 to heavy snow. NOT sierra cement, not even close, but not blower either.

But, as the day progressed the temps dropped and it kept snowing. this stuff was light and fluffy. it added up to about 18". a foot overnite and 6 during the day.

great conditions to ski some more technical lines.

hardrider and about 7 others right after him skied heart. got video but the light was shitty.

hardrider and i both checked upper chamoix off our list, and i skied a line to huck in dan cliffs that i have been looking at all year.

basically the heavy snow stuck to and covered the rocks and the with the light stuff on top, well, let's just say it was fun.

Oh, BTW, spatula's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumbs up

Originally posted by lph

Oh, BTW, spatula's ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would not count on anything this far ahead but getting a lot more interesting now with COLD...
    -dave

========================================
    NWS Reno:

MODEL TIMING FROM MONDAY THRU WEDNESDAY CONTINUES TO VARY BUT POTENTIALLY STRONG AND COLD UPPER LOW COULD PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT PRECIP DURING THIS TIME FRAME...WITH CONSENSUS PROJECTION BY THE GFS ENSEMBLE MEMBERS FAVORING TUESDAY SO HIGHER CHANCE POPS WERE INSERTED FOR THAT DAY. ALTERNATE MODEL SOLUTIONS OF THE CANADIAN AND ECMWF FAVOR A MODERATELY STRONG SYSTEM ON MONDAY THEN SHORTWAVE RIDGING TUES-WED BEFORE A STRONGER STORM ARRIVES BY THE END OF THE WEEK. GOING WITH THE GFS ENSEMBLE SOLUTION...THE TAHOE AND MONO COUNTY ZONES MAY BE THE HARDEST HIT WITH SUFFICIENT SPILLOVER MOISTURE INTO THE WESTERN NV VALLEYS. SNOW LEVELS MAY DIP TO THE VALLEY FLOORS BY TUESDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING AS COLDER AIR WORKS ITS WAY INLAND. MJD

MONO COUNTY ZONES MAY BE THE HARDEST HIT WITH SUFFICIENT SPILLOVER MOISTURE
    Holy crap....."not sure I'm going to make that house-warming party, honey..."
    I have mastered all major sporting activities to a high degree of mediocrity.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by lph

hardrider and about 7 others right after him skied heart. got video but the light was shitty.

YEAH HARDRIDER!!!!

he was pissed afterwards. he jumped in fine, landed and made a jump turn. on the turn he double ejected. got his skis on relatively quickly (luckily neither took off out the exit). skied to the exit and launched. landed, both skis stayed on he somersaulted 2-3 times and stood up skied away.

the next 5 people landed in his bombhole. the landings sounded FIRM and no one came close to stomping it. there was a ski school guy(the full time students at the wood) was leading his students up there he skied then 2 behind him. the last student to go pointed it from about 10-15 feet above the exit and went huge, tight in the air flew past everyone's bombhole and came down hard double ejecting. these kids were no more than 15 years old.

the whole afternoon was a huckfest. the sun sort of came out and people were just going off everything. including patrollers.

holy crap that sounds nutty....think it will be good to go this weekend?

hardrider says he is doing it on saturday.

if he does, i am bringing the tripod and filming from monte wolf as you and he ski it.

Originally posted by lph
    hardrider says he is doing it on saturday.

if he does, i am bringing the tripod and filming from monte wolf as you and he ski it.
    sweet....that's the angle we shoulda got last year...I don't know why you ever listen to me I'm pumped for this weekend. Now excuse me, for I've got to call Hardrider and give him shit for losing a ski in the gut of heart.

Thumbs up

Props to hardrider!
    Way to pull it together and cowboy over the rocks!

Sick and ashamed and happy (and what's the exit drop height?),
    d.

Heart Chute is serious business. Can't imagine what it would feel like to part company with the skis halfway down.

Who's going to be the first to helmet cam it? Or has this been done already?

Originally posted by gincognito
    Props to hardrider!
    Way to pull it together and cowboy over the rocks!

Sick and ashamed and happy (and what's the exit drop height?),
    d.
    I dunno how big...not all that huge now though I think...30? 40 tops? Early season I heard it guesstimated at 50...but I don't think it's quite that big right now. And it kinda depends on how you launch it.....I've seen people sorta billygoat to the edge and acid drop off the sharks teeth at the edge down to the snow-ramp that forms from the sloughing snow....do it that way and it's prolly only 10-15 maybe.

The weird thing is...the top air is nearly completely buried right now. Much different than last year.

This sucker is going to be a bump run after the summit

Yeah, from all I'm hearing, it's hard to equate this year's Heart Chute with the hairball footage of you skiing it last year. That was tight and I recall mentioning how hard I found it to watch.

d.

Originally posted by comish
    This is when Mammoth shines. With its higher elevation it should be snow there, anyone up there next weekend?
    Gotta love a 9,000 lodge w/ a 11,000 ft summit! 2ft plus of pow above 10,00ft after the last couple days. Looks great but I'm stuck at work,ARGGHH!
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.