Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    So does this mean he gets a Jesse Jackson endorsement?

with the clinton scandals and hte resulting revelations of other scandals of republican congressman, i dont think people will care
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

ey isnt that Corey Feldman sitting next to Hanoi Jane?
    I was thinking cory haim (sp) But I don't know the difference.

Well, he's eventually going to have to comment on this accusation, so I'll wait to hear it. I'm tired of being directly lied to. I know that's a lot to ask of a President, a Presidential candidate, or anyone in Washington these days. Waiting.....

Originally posted by Skidawg
    Well, he's eventually going to have to comment on this accusation, so I'll wait to hear it. I'm tired of being directly lied to. I know that's a lot to ask of a President, a Presidential candidate, or anyone in Washington these days. Waiting.....
    You know you've got to wonder what ppl expect. Living is messy - we all make mistakes but somehow we expect our elected officials to be "without sin."

What are we going to do? Start breeding presidents? Raise them in a vacuum until they are ready to be presented to the public?

Is one transgression worse than another? We should have chart that gives points for the type of transgression then rate the candidates accordingly

You know what really gets me? It seems all the right wing Christians have forgotten the words Jesus taught them "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(JMHO - using your quote not arguing with you)
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

... I'm tired of being directly lied to. I know that's a lot to ask of a President, a Presidential candidate, or anyone in Washington these days. Waiting.....
    I know what you mean...

"This is a war on Terror, not on Islam..." Right, motherfucker. So when are you going after the IRA?

"We will rebuild Afghanistan..." ...some day... Real soon... too bad they have no oil...

"Saddam is an imminent threat..." He is now. To your re-election.

JK's wife is worth mega-bucks, if he is banging the intern he definitely missed the first day of kindergarten when you learned not to shit where you eat.
    Oh, IMO, Matt Drudge is a half-wit moralist who deserves a sever beating with a coat hanger.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Originally posted by Greydon Clark
    JK's wife is worth mega-bucks, if he is banging the intern he definitely missed the first day of kindergarten when you learned not to shit where you eat.
    cheating on teresa heinz would not be cool. she's an amazing lady.

Originally posted by KQ
    I just have to say that the idea of adding a constitutional amendment that LIMITS the rights and freedoms of the America public is just wrong!!! The constitution is not a limiting tool - it was enacted to free us.
    A Constitutional Amendment to ban same-sex marriage has got to be one of the most repugnant notions I've ever heard.

The last Constitutional Amendment aimed at moralilty (Prohibition)went over really well, didn't it?

WASHINGTON - The mud is certain to fly as John Kerry moves closer to gaining the Democratic presidential nomination.

The Republican National Committee is circulating unflattering news clips about Kerry to Washington reporters, and reporters are beating a path to Bozeman, Mont., to dig up the dirt from Kerry's first wife Julia Thorne. The former Philadelphia socialite already has threatened to flee to Italy and says she's detailed all she's going to say in the book "A Change of Heart."

Heh, it even reaches Bozeman.

Actually, I've met Julia a few times and she is a pretty cool lady too.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Originally posted by fez
    WASHINGTON - The mud is certain to fly as John Kerry moves closer to gaining the Democratic presidential nomination.

The Republican National Committee is circulating unflattering news clips about Kerry to Washington reporters, and reporters are beating a path to Bozeman, Mont., to dig up the dirt from Kerry's first wife Julia Thorne. The former Philadelphia socialite already has threatened to flee to Italy and says she's detailed all she's going to say in the book "A Change of Heart."

Check this out:

GOP
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I'm stunned that there are those of you who profess to believe the RNC's King Makers are NOT behind this.

Originally posted by KQ
    You know you've got to wonder what ppl expect. Living is messy - we all make mistakes but somehow we expect our elected officials to be "without sin."

What are we going to do? Start breeding presidents? Raise them in a vacuum until they are ready to be presented to the public?

Is one transgression worse than another? We should have chart that gives points for the type of transgression then rate the candidates accordingly

I'm going to disagree here. We want a person in the white house we can look up to. When you soil the office you tarnish the entire American name. In reality the president is a figurehead. Really doesn't have that much power aside from declaring war. If there's anyone in the country kids should be able to look up to its the president. I remember that's how it was when I was younger. Can't say that about the last two presidents and it doesn't look like its gettin' any better. I don't want someone in the whitehouse who has lacking morals. And I think cheatin' on your spouse is pretty shitty morraly. I had NO respect for clinton. I thought he was nothing more than a used car saleman who squeeked by w/ the Ross Perot thing, he proved to be exactly that w/ all his shananigans. You can say a lot about Bush but at least he keeps his ship clean (home life). Its understandable to have kids or relatives who are shady (Billy Carter) but don't do that shit yourself if you're president. Just my $.02
    Last edited by 1080Rider; 02-12-2004 at 01:55 PM.

CONRESSIONAL QUARTERLY'S CRAIG CRAWFORD SENDS TO ASSOCIATES IN E-MAIL: 'Drudge item on Kerry intern issue is something Chris Lehane (clark press secy) has shopped around for a long time -- it was one reason the Gore vetters in 2000 shied away from Kerry as a running mate choice -- their conclusion that it wasn't bad enough to disqualify him, except for the fact that they couldn't risk it as they were trying so hard to distance themselves from Clinton's personal failings (note: Lehane worked for Gore at the time -- and briefly advised Kerry during this campaign). The Kerry camp has long expected to deal with this, and have assured party leaders they can handle it.' Crawford reports that Lehane strenuously denies involvement.

Originally posted by 1080Rider
    I'm going to disagree here. We want a person in the white house we can look up to. When you soil the office you tarnish the entire American name. In reality the president is a figurehead. Really doesn't have that much power aside from declaring war. If there's anyone in the country kids should be able to look up to its the president. I remember that's how it was when I was younger. Can't say that about the last two presidents and it doesn't look like its gettin' any better. I don't want someone in the whitehouse who has lacking morals. And I think cheatin' on your spouse is pretty shitty morraly. I had NO respect for clinton. I thought he was nothing more than a used car saleman who squeeked by w/ the Ross Perot thing, he proved to be exactly that w/ all his shananigans. You can say a lot about Bush but at least he keeps his ship clean (home life). Its understandable to have kids or relatives who are shady (Billy Carter) but don't do that shit yourself if you're president. Just my $.02
    But you really think any of this kind of crap from the men in power is new? Honestly, its been going on since the beginning of this country for sure (Thomas Jefferson's illegitmate children with a slave). The actual reality is not that its happening, but that its talked about.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I'm going to disagree here. We want a person in the white house we can look up to. When you soil the office you tarnish the entire American name. In reality the president is a figurehead. Really doesn't have that much power aside from declaring war. If there's anyone in the country kids should be able to look up to its the president. I remember that's how it was when I was younger. Can't say that about the last two presidents and it doesn't look like its gettin' any better. I don't want someone in the whitehouse who has lacking morals. And I think cheatin' on your spouse is pretty shitty morraly. I had NO respect for clinton. I thought he was nothing more than a used care saleman who squeeked by w/ the Ross Perot thing, he proved to be exactly that w/ all his shenanigans. You can say a lot about Bush but at least he keeps his ship clean (home life). Its understandable to have kids or relatives who are shady (Billy Carter) but don't do that shit yourself if you're president. Just my $.02
    Heaven forbid children are looking up to George W. Bush!!

Hey, I'm not advocating cheating but I'd say there are worse things and frankly I'm more concerned about my country than my President's home life. Great - ppl are losing jobs, the economy sucks, we're killing little brown ppl but praise the lord our President keeps his peter in his pants when he's on the road!!!

LOL!!! Sorry, could resist.

I dunno - I don't look to my President for my moral compass and if I had children I would try to instill an understanding of "balance" in them. In the end it is ourselves we have to answer to when reconciling our lives.
    Last edited by KQ; 02-12-2004 at 02:32 PM.

Because you know if KQ was president she'd be nailing a young intern.
    Ben Franklin

Originally posted by KQ

Joe Kennedy senior tried that, but we ended up killing all his boys.
    sad & weird
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Originally posted by KQ

You know what really gets me? It seems all the right wing Christians have forgotten the words Jesus taught them "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

(JMHO - using your quote not arguing with you)
    No argument tone taken KQ. I like your idea. Seems all we get to hear about is avoiding combat in the war, inhaling weed, coke and alcohol addictions, and infidelity. It's crazy! We've lost the line between politics and morality. Not that there ever was much of one....

No argument tone taken KQ. I like your idea. Seems all we get to hear about is avoiding combat in the war, inhaling weed, coke and alcohol addictions, and infidelity. It's crazy! We've lost the line between politics and morality. Not that there ever was much of one....
    What I want to know, and the question I keep asking is:

Why can't they (all of them) just campaign on the issues?

America gets lost in all this subterfuge and in the end does anyone really win?

Glad to see at least one other person have a similar take on it. KQ, you're right, everyone has some sort of transgressions, but my problem is, like someone else said, all these politician's egos are so enormous, they can't imagine that a) they did anything wrong and b) it will affect anyone. Just admit it to it, I know I'd have loads more respect than someone that tried to hide it all their life.

There's a reason for the morality issues brought up during campaigning: it's what people want to hear. If people honestly cared about the candidates' stand on the issues, we'd hear about it.

But the majority of Americans want to know about the dirty secrets that haunt politicians.

For example, during Bush's campaign he actually played up the fact that he didn't drink any more, that he had a slight drinking problem and overcame it. It made him look better to the voters. If a candidate is willing to exaggerate a flaw to appeal to the people, that's a pretty good indication of what the people are asking for.

Like "Bowling for Columbine" pointed out, our news programs are driven by ratings, so every night the local news affiliates pump out human interest stories and reports on violent crimes (as an aside, I thought Moore's comparison of American and Canadian news was probably the best part of the movie). The presidential campaign is no different.

The way to get candidates to talk about the issues is to be interested and informed ourselves.

Originally posted by Big E
    Glad to see at least one other person have a similar take on it. KQ, you're right, everyone has some sort of transgressions, but my problem is, like someone else said, all these politician's egos are so enormous, they can't imagine that a) they did anything wrong and b) it will affect anyone. Just admit it to it, I know I'd have loads more respect than someone that tried to hide it all their life.
    Hey I never advocated hiding anything. I say own up to it so we can move on. Clinton and his "what is the definition of 'is'" was absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah I've got issues with each and every one of their egos - they're a bunch of school children fighting over who can beat up who. Makes me sick.

However...having said that I'm not going to judge them on their transgression only but how they handle it. It's hard but I try to focus on the issues at hand - sometimes I feel like I need x-ray vision to see through all the shit but I just keep on trying so I can make an informed decision.

I’m telling you – sometimes I just want to take a rolled-up newspaper and rap them all on the nose and say "NO!"

You know - a lot of what goes on in our government is of our own making and just as we have encouraged we can discourage (see my tag line).

You can say a lot about Bush but at least he keeps his ship clean (home life). Its understandable to have kids or relatives who are shady (Billy Carter) but don't do that shit yourself if you're president. Just my $.02
    I don't see why giving false pretenses for a war is more excusable than banging your secretary, but that's just me I guess.

The problem is, as wp alludes, that most people don't understand the real issues and their various potential consequences, so they base their political choices on moral judgment and their intuitive like or dislike of a candidate. If I'm the average person of voting age in this country, I don't understand what the big deal is about having a deficeit, because there's no entry for my share of it on my tax form or projection of what my taxes will be in 40 years as a result of it. But I DO know that it's bad to cheat on your wife. Boom! The choice is easy. Personally, I don't really care about the "moral character" of my elected officials as long as nobody's getting hurt, because I don't see the point in basing political decisions on totally subjective issues of morality. If John Kerry having an affair contributed to the decline of public schools in Massachusetts or something, that'd be a problem. Otherwise it's a non-starter. I DO have a problem with someone lying about what they've done when asked, but frankly I don't see why the question should even come up. There's a lot more important things to talk about.

My guess is that this is bullshit, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true. The Kerry/Heinz marriage is weird- she refers to John Heinz as her husband and Kerry as "the Senator," and their house is apparently full of pictures of Heinz- and has long been said to be more a political union than a romantic one. I hope it's not, but not because I have some idea of what a marriage should be that I project on other people's relationships.

New Moveon.org ad

Not much for pittering about politics I just think it's interesting.

And you?
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.