Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wow, am I ever glad I found this thread. My season ended on Saturday, when I tore my left ACL for the second time. Completely ruptured the graft. Cannot believe I get to go through this again. Reading about all the people who've torn their ACL's twice or more really helps me know that I'll be back on the mountain next season. As much as this sucks, all hope is not lost. Still, I'm so pissed right now. Got 15 days, and now it's over. Done. Finished. See ya bye. Thanks for the inspiration I'm finding here.

latest microfracture newsflash?

I hope you can tell the group how you DID ski this season Woofer, and that you kicked ass! It'd make me really happy to know this, since I too had microfracture 2 months ago. 6 weeks non-weight bearing, 2 weeks tapering off crutches and I'm still not allowed to do much of anything. When did they tell you the cartilage was good - my OS tells me we have to wait and see every time I ask. Liz
    Liz

I know I will ski again after my recent ACL blow from skiing in March, but I snowboard a lot and have a good feeling I will be mostly on the board next season. Honestly, skiing again does not scare me, but blowing another knee does.

I skied this year more than I boarded. But next year will be different, as Rideit said, it is easier on the knees.

My dad gave up skiing after his ACL. But he now also lives in Texas so that explains a lot.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Hi there, just letting you all know I got about 25-30 days in last year which is a lot for an east coast guy with a serious day job. Even managed to make it out to colorado, utah, and wyoming. I have daily pain (very tolerable) but can still charge, just not as much. For me, 1500mg glucosamine w/chondroitin every morning certainly helps.

Thanks for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by woofer View Post
    Serious internal struggle...

The facts:
    Surgery 1 - 1994, torn ACL & MCL, cadaver graft. Complete recovery w/no problems at all, skiied several years on it with no complaints whatsoever.

Surgery 2 - May 2006 - torn ACL, patella tendon graft, microfracture to attempt to heal cartilege. I am currently six months out, rehabbing, feel about 80-85% w/a bad day every now and again.

Two surgeries, same knee, do I continue to do the thing I love most in this world?

i can only speak for one tear and havnt gone through the ordeal of surgery yet, but i cant imagine stopping. maybe not charging as hard as before. it makes me a bit nervous to hear about all the two-timers though! maybe i will have them surgically attach my brace to my leg as well!

i am having this surgery basically so i can ski again though, so damn it, i will!

Quote Originally Posted by black_diamond_spyder View Post
    Wow, am I ever glad I found this thread. My season ended on Saturday, when I tore my left ACL for the second time. Completely ruptured the graft. Cannot believe I get to go through this again. Reading about all the people who've torn their ACL's twice or more really helps me know that I'll be back on the mountain next season. As much as this sucks, all hope is not lost. Still, I'm so pissed right now. Got 15 days, and now it's over. Done. Finished. See ya bye. Thanks for the inspiration I'm finding here.
    i thought that back in November when i tore mine, but i was able to ski this past sunday for a couple of hours. i wouldnt be able to do a full day or two days in a row, or hard pack, or spring mush--i happened to pick the perfect day to give it a try. i am still trying to get the swelling down again though. it was worth it--i'll try again in a week or so!

Quote Originally Posted by woofer View Post
    Hi there, just letting you all know I got about 25-30 days in last year which is a lot for an east coast guy with a serious day job. Even managed to make it out to colorado, utah, and wyoming. I have daily pain (very tolerable) but can still charge, just not as much. For me, 1500mg glucosamine w/chondroitin every morning certainly helps.

Thanks for all the advice!
    Glad things are going well. I'm several years out of my surgery, and do almost everything I did before. It is different in that I do not live in the mountains anymore, and get 30 days or so a year, but I feel as strong as ever.

Good luck to all those rehabbing or going through surgery.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

yippee!
    got my first two ski days in this weekend since getting my 3rd knee surgery (last on in sept 07). wow, i picked a pretty icy weekend. but after a few tentative runs, it was awesome to be back out there!!!
    yes, i said YES! SKI AGAIN!!!
    Prrrrrrr....

Rehabbing from Second Manglement

Currently rehabbing from my second left knee manglement and I fully plan on going back to it. I figure still need to mangle a knee once during skiing to complete the three sport trifecta.

1st Knee BMX Bicycle wreck as a teen
    2nd Knee Tennis Tourney
    3rd Knee (Skiing I hope)