Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what bindings do not suck?

We all know that Markers of course suck ass, Tyrolias suck because they look like Markers, Lines suck because they're untested, Salomons used to not suck but then there was the thread about toe wiggle and plastic parts so they suck, Looks and Rossis are impossible to get fat brakes for so they must suck and Atomics must suck because they have lots of peices that can fall apart. SO IS THERE A BINDING THAT DOES NOT SUCK?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

I've never had problems with my Marker bindings and I like the look.

My Rossi bindings all came with wide brakes for my wide skis.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

You forgot Freerides and Naxos, which both suck for their respective reasons.

It seems that the 1% of the people that have problems usually compromise 98% of the feedback. You'll be safe with Markers or Sollys.

Or you can bolt your boot to the ski and forget about it.

I've never had a problem finding fat brakes for my Rossis. Even so, if that's the biggest complaint...

S900s

Looks and Rossis are qute easy to get fat brakes for (unless you get the over 14 DIN models). Sportsliquidators.com had a bunch last I checked. I also just rode the Freerides on my Explosives for the first time at Whistler this weeknd and they rocked, even on the groomed. I didn't really notice a diff from my alpine binders.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

Originally posted by Mountain Junkie
    You'll be safe with Markers or Sollys.
    Yeah, just make sure you get the Markers that say "Look" on them, and the Sollys that don't say 912 on them.

Originally posted by Foggy_Goggles
    S900s
    Run 900's on everything, never a problem.

The toe wiggle shit half the time is because the wings are too tight to start with and people strip them out with force against the boot.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

Run 900's on everything, never a problem.
    I second that

I have 900's and 914's and never had a problem

Wink Re: what bindings do not suck?

Originally posted by laseranimal
    Looks and Rossis are impossible to get fat brakes for so they must suck
    if you dont suck at bending metal then they do not suck, and if you need brakes you suck.

S900s
    Yeah, too bad they haven't made them for a few years.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Yeah 'cause Maggots never ski on old shit and used equip is impossible to find?

Never had a problem with my Markers, but I've heard tons of complaints. I've also heard that Markers have the most consistant release of all bindings on the market. It's all just hearsay anyways....
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I have yet to own a high-din binding that DID suck. IMO pretty much any high-DIN (i.e. above 14) rocks even if skied at low values. They are built strong, can be skied at low DINs and not prerelease and last long. Bindings I have liked are Salomon S900 ->20, S916, MarkerSomething 12-24, Look TT9Race (->15), Look ZRs (->18), Look P18, Tyrolia FF10+ (->17), Atomic BD1018 and Race1018.

My current Atomic 1018s holds me more securely at a 10 setting (Yes, I have been skiing them at 10 occasionally just to see if this was true; and still do in recovery periods) than any ->12 binding I have ever skied at max settings. Same with my FF10+ last year and Looks and Sollys before that.

Originally posted by Plakespear
    Yeah, too bad they haven't made them for a few years.
    Not positive we are talking the same thing. I'm going with S900's meaning the uppper end 900's, 914's and 920's which are still being made. Still have some older Sal.s which the model S900 and 9-16, if that's what you mean.

Agree with tele-path, generally speaking the green-springs from just about anyone are pretty solid, not a big fan of Marker, but as mentioned in another thread, I have owned a pair of their green's and they were pretty solid, no complaints outside of the additional weight, which is to be expected.

I'm talking about the model called "S900 Equipe" They are prolly around 5yrs old. Din is 8-14 I think. I have a couple of pairs. They have never given me any problems. They still test out just fine.

I'm talking about the model called "S900 Equipe" They are prolly around 5yrs old. Din is 8-14 I think. I have a couple of pairs. They have never given me any problems. They still test out just fine.
    Word. The s900 series is not the same as the current s912's and s914's. Just about all the pro jibbers that don't have binding sponsors are running the s900 Equipes.

I've got a pair of the s900 Equipes on my Pistols. Metal housing, din to 16. I also have a pair of s900's that are a normal plastic housing. Not sure if they say 'Equipe' on them. Din is only to 14, but they are naturally a bit lighter than the others. Powho is probably putting these on his BC jib sticks.

Related topic: I've heard of a lot of people with pre-release issues with current 912's. I'd go 914's instead of the 912's, even if you don't need the extra DIN, just to be on the safe/superstitious side.

Actually, I'd personally hunt down some 916's if I couldn't find s900 Equipes and I knew I'd be hucking with em.

i put 914s on my pistols and prereleased at least twice over the weekend in utah.. also - one of the rear springs seems to be stuck.. it wont go above 9 anymore. both of my weekend releases were toe though. my toe height is set properly and wings look like they are adjusted correctly..
    definitely happier with the s900s on my rockets.

Ok, now where can i find myself a pair of lower-Din green springs, preferably something with a range on 6-16, 7-17, 7-18, nothing above 7 for a low end, since I usually run 8-9, sometimes a bit higher. I want them for my Spatulas, and since I dont plan on giving them a lot of use(read having them for a long time), I want a binding that will last 10 or 15 years. Any suggestions and sorry for the hijack.

-Ben

Snorkledeep

Try backing the spring completely out, you may have something that is preventing the spring from advancing. Remove the slotted plug and remove the spring and check for anything in the housing, re-lube with white lithium grease and re-assemble.

Glademaster,

Most of the Sal greens are din 9-16, with some of the older ones going from 8-18, and on the upper end 12-20.

They show up here and on e-bay a bit, sometimes it's worth buying the ski for the binding, last pair of 916's I got were $39, and included some 200cm P-30's.

Look around their out there.

e-bay
    Last edited by CaddyDaddy77; 02-12-2004 at 03:15 PM.

I want them for my Spatulas,
    you haven't mounted them yet? what the hell are you waiting for?

low end markers suck

higher end markers, like my comp 1400 fucking rock... never had a pre release

markers are HEAVY

markers are the most tolerant of all bindings when it ocmes to boot sole wear and snow sticking to your boot

I like the look pivot bindings too

and i like my naxos... except the afd slider jsut came off... but that didn't affect their skiing at all
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

the s780's I got for $25 at sunshine woot woot
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

look p14s rock my world...

i have them with the maxplate and like the ramp angle... some dont but i like how it helps me get agressively forward. on the other hand, it kicks my ass when i dont get forward.

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776

and i like my naxos... except the afd slider jsut came off... but that didn't affect their skiing at all
    I'd be interested to find out how the release characteristics have changed now that you are running without the afd. You have a boot torque tester or that fancy dancy 15g machine handy?