Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    who's barn is it? and what is it for? pretty fucking baller if you can afford to build a giant barn just to hang out in. looks cool

The barn is used for a couple things besides partying in the tub. Our parent company makes safety devices for cops, troopers, dnr conservation officers, firefighters and others to use in water or ice rescue emergencies. The barn sits between 2 small mostly private and secluded lakes where a lot of our research and testing takes place.

The avalanche work is mostly done out west in the mountains and in our Olympic Valley (Squaw Valley California) lab.......

Wow the Amish are fucking Bad Ass.
    ...because warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer.

She's got [GASP!], LACES!

THE HORROR!

I'd put my peg in her hole without power tools.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

If you look closely at the old lady in the doorway, she is wearing some knock-off Ray Ban Wayfarers....................

All the Amish get their shades in town at the gas station, and there is a big display of inexpensive knock off shades there so everybody in the "community" wears these bad ass looking shades.

Met with one of the Elders in Wisconsin today to finalize the stock barn. This second barn will hold hay bales and a tractor and some tack. It will be the same size as the first barn, but be open to the elements on one side of the hay storage area.

The Amish build a barn without any blueprints or plans. You just sit down with Ervin Schmucker, the owner of the sawmill, and sketch out what you want on a piece of paper. After a few days he lets you know where to put the concrete footings, and a few weeks after that the Amish crew shows up to build the barn. No prints, no written contract, no nothing, just a hand shake agreement.

Dozers arrive in a week or two to clear the area. The purpose of having the cattle is twofold: First, everybody at the company gets good, half price, feedlot-free beef to eat. Second, as a functioning ranch, our property taxes are cut by 75%................

That was one of the most enjoyable threads I've read. Great pics and a great story!
    "Don't let the bastards wear you down"- RFO

Just got word that a few of the kids in the Amish community (including Will's pal) are passing up this year's barnraising and are headed to Colorado via Amtrack for a little Amish rest and relaxation.

Last edited by WARI Avalanche Research; 05-16-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtybryan View Post
    I'd tap it.
    I was going to say something along those lines as well

The Amish are inbound for the hay barn. The last logs are being finished off at the mill and the crew heads for the building site in 2 weeks. The first barn is now fully wired and turning on the first floor lighting and leaving off the hay mound (2nd floor) lights is kind of cool...........

Last edited by WARY; 09-09-2008 at 09:06 AM.

Here's the concrete foundation for the hay barn.......

Last edited by WARY; 09-09-2008 at 09:15 AM.

One more voice to the choir : I heart this thread !
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Whoa!

At the same time a hillarious, awe inspiring and educational TR! And not even skiing included?!

A+!

And what carpentry...
    I thought that our house was build with precision but compared to that barn,it looks like a fucking shed.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.

Quote Originally Posted by jtwassoc View Post

Heeey Girl, you'd win any wet bonnet contest.

But seriously, that's an awesome project. How are the Amish compensated for the effort?

The Amish sawmill owner does pretty well, and he gets the majority of the dough. Next comes job foreman Atley Miller, and last in the feeding line are his crew, Dave, Mallen and Thellan, who work for an hourly wage.

The overhead expenses are minimal. They bring enough canned veggies and fruit and sausage and Kool-Aid so there are no lunches or dinners bought. Entertainment at night does not involve coughing up half the days wages to the bartender either. They watched the satellite TV as they don't have one at home, and don't purchase pay per view. Although, there was one funny event that occurred. One day Will drove them to the gas station for milk and chain saw gas and the two boys spotted a movie in the videotape rack with a cute looking girl on the cover. They bought it on the sly and stuffed it into their tool bag. Later that night they snuck into a bedroom that had a small TV/VCR and watched Molly Ringwald in "Pretty in Pink" with the sound off so that the elders wouldn't catch them. Way too funny.

When they get home a large percentage of their profits are given to the community, but these guys are considered well off in the community, as all of the community members that only farm live hand to mouth...........

Very Cool TR.....

I grew up in Northern WI, and we had friends that had Amish friends, there craftsman ship is unbelievable, and they work harder than any other person I've ever met, I think it's pretty cool, to meet these people and experience the way they live....

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Mennonites are slightly more open and integrated into society, as compared to the Amish.
    badda bing

^^jus want to repost this...one must consider my location

cool job

I've decided to shun this thread.

It's a technique we amish use. Its like slapping someone with silence
    So local it hurts...

Do young Amish girls shave?
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I say god damn! I would hit that shit double, switch, and then give a moustache ride to the road.

I heard their bushes are knee length.

They are back, this time to build a hay barn for cattle........

Boss Man Atley Miller........

Last edited by WARY; 10-11-2008 at 04:28 PM.

Big crew this time, in more ways than one.

Quote Originally Posted by WARI avalanche research institute View Post
    Boss Man Atley Miller........

Now THAT is a circular saw

Looking forward to more updates, and taking a gander at this thing in person in about a week or so! John, lemme know if you're around, we'll meet up for a beer. I'll PM you my cell.

Quote Originally Posted by WARI Avalanche Research View Post
    ...The purpose of having the cattle is twofold: First, everybody at the company gets good, half price, feedlot-free beef to eat. Second, as a functioning ranch, our property taxes are cut by 75%................
    Brilliant! Your company rules.